Why become a member? ×

landlord switched off the mics because of over run

Ou7shined

I'm involved with and working on all of the Hyde Park concerts this year and I've written, re-written and deleted my input to this thread several times with a whole bunch of information, valid points and details concerning this issue and how the point of view of certain people in the public eye have wound me up, but all i can be bothered to say is:

He went on stage on time, he played until the curfew was reached and the sound was stopped, just as was indicated and reiterated.
The curfew time was very visible to all involved and it was labeled as being STRICT, i.e. no messing around, we mean it.

Simple as that, they're the rules.

I believe Henry Rollins sums the whole thing up in the most famous of his quotes - which is in actual fact written nice and big and clearly on someone's toolbox which Bruce & Macca would've had to have walked past to get on stage.

At least they didn't embarrass themselves like Axl Rose did at Reading a couple of years ago.

[quote name='MysticGuitar' timestamp='1342431423' post='1734608']
I'd probably only go to a Springsteen concert to watch Nils Lofgren play. There are only a few songs of Bruce's that I like. Would be much better to just wait until Nils Lofgren tours on his own. I remember when Nils played at our local high schools.
[/quote]

Now you're talking, though sadly I've only seen him once, a long time ago at the Hammersmith Odeon.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1342451902' post='1735274']
Now you're talking, though sadly I've only seen him once, a long time ago at the Hammersmith Odeon.
[/quote]
It's great that you got to see him, though. In the old days he was known to do trampoline stuff and acrobatics on stage during performances. lol
A lot of people don't realize he used to play with Neil Young's group, which he joined when he was a teenager. He played the piano and guitar on "After the Gold Rush". Since he grew up in my home state of Maryland, local radio made sure to play his music when he formed the band Grin. He's not only a good musician, but a great guy, too, from what I hear others say who've worked with him.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342428367' post='1734528']
Why?

These are inclusive family events in a public space, they need to be controlled properly, safety and security are important.
[/quote]

Just because I still like to believe that rock and roll is all about not having to follow the rules. When did music have to get so serious?

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1342467252' post='1735740']
Just because I still like to believe that rock and roll is all about not having to follow the rules. When did music have to get so serious?
[/quote]

The moment people wanted it to pay their mortgages.

Unless, for multi-millionaires like Springsteen and Macca, it [i]is [/i]about the rock and roll? Though that's a lot of irony for a diet.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1342467390' post='1735743']
The moment people wanted it to pay their mortgages.

Unless, for multi-millionaires like Springsteen and Macca, it [i]is [/i]about the rock and roll? Though that's a lot of irony for a diet.
[/quote]
:lol: Brilliant!

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1342467252' post='1735740']Just because I still like to believe that rock and roll is all about not having to follow the rules. When did music have to get so serious?[/quote]
Oh, maybe after this sort of thing happens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_The_Who_concert_disaster

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1342435227' post='1734693']
Don't be fooled. Everything Boris says and does is carefully stage managed. He even arrives at events early so that his hair can be given that perfect tassled look before facing the public.
[/quote]

Boris for PM. I don't for one minute believe he'd do a better job than anyone else, but he'd be a lot more entertaining.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342468873' post='1735777']
Oh, maybe after this sort of thing happens [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_The_Who_concert_disaster"]http://en.wikipedia....oncert_disaster[/url]
[/quote]

Granted, that was a very nasty situation, but all I'm saying is that when you look at all the rules that have to be followed to put on a show these days, it kind of takes away from romanticism of rock and roll being about "sticking it to the man". I've always wanted my music life to be an escape from the rules and regulations of everyday life, not an extension of them, but I guess that's just what needs to be done in this day and age to put on an event which is safe for both those working and those attending.

And yeah, although I'm not a huge fan of either McCartney or Springsteen, I do think they do it for the music rather than the money. Both are so rich that they would never need to work again, so if they don't need the money, why would they bother? Would McCartney even have been paid for his guest appearance on Saturday?

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1342471032' post='1735848']
Granted, that was a very nasty situation, but all I'm saying is that when you look at all the rules that have to be followed to put on a show these days, [b]it kind of takes away from romanticism of rock and roll being about "sticking it to the man".[/b] I've always wanted my music life to be an escape from the rules and regulations of everyday life, not an extension of them, but I guess that's just what needs to be done in this day and age to put on an event which is safe for both those working and those attending.

And yeah, although I'm not a huge fan of either McCartney or Springsteen, I do think they do it for the music rather than the money. Both are so rich that they would never need to work again, so if they don't need the money, why would they bother? Would McCartney even have been paid for his guest appearance on Saturday?
[/quote]

Please tell me mate, who's 'the Man' ?

Is it the Man who owns the venue? Or the one you pay for the tickets? Or the security company? Or the beer company? Or the beer seller? Or the T-shirt cotton-picking company? Or the T-Shirt printing company? Or the T-Shirt seller? Or the sew on patch company? Or the record company? Or the agent? Or the marketing company? Or the guitar manufacturer, Or the drum manufacturer? Or the cymbal manufacturer? Or the lighting manufacturer? Or the steel company? Or the welding company, Or the cleaning company? Or the potato grower? Or the crisp manufacturer? Or your denim and leather manufacturers? Is it Clarks? Is it Levi Strauss? Is it Iggy Pop? Is it John Lydon?

Who the f*** is 'THE MAN'?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342471905' post='1735862']
Please tell me mate, who's 'the Man' ?

Is it the Man who owns the venue? Or the one you pay for the tickets? Or the security company? Or the beer company? Or the beer seller? Or the T-shirt cotton-picking company? Or the T-Shirt printing company? Or the T-Shirt seller? Or the sew on patch company? Or the record company? Or the agent? Or the marketing company? Or the guitar manufacturer, Or the drum manufacturer? Or the cymbal manufacturer? Or the lighting manufacturer? Or the steel company? Or the welding company, Or the cleaning company? Or the potato grower? Or the crisp manufacturer? Or your denim and leather manufacturers? Is it Clarks? Is it Levi Strauss? Is it Iggy Pop? Is it John Lydon?

Who the f*** is 'THE MAN'?
[/quote]

Isn't it all of them ;) . Chill out dude, it's just a turn of phrase. What's with all the hostility? Thought this was a light hearted thread?

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1342472706' post='1735876']
Isn't it all of them ;) . Chill out dude, it's just a turn of phrase. What's with all the hostility? Thought this was a light hearted thread?
[/quote]
Sorry, I'm smiling, I'm alright an everything, it's just this 'Sticking it to the Man' thing that's all. The MAN is just clever image and and a bunch of business minded people sticking it to YOU while making you think you're sticking it to THEM. Just enjoy the music, man, they have to make some cash, and although we all hate being controlled by our 'leaders', unless you are Sad Lover's & Giants' bassist and therefore invincible, you'll probably find it's best that human beings are controlled to a certain degree, don't you think?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342473678' post='1735900']
Sorry, I'm smiling, I'm alright an everything, it's just this 'Sticking it to the Man' thing that's all. The MAN is just clever image and and a bunch of business minded people sticking it to YOU while making you think you're sticking it to THEM. Just enjoy the music, man, they have to make some cash, and although we all hate being controlled by our 'leaders', unless you are Sad Lover's & Giants' bassist and therefore invincible, you'll probably find it's best that human beings are controlled to a certain degree, don't you think?
[/quote]

Oh there are times I really enjoy being controlled, but that's normally on a Wednesday night at my "special" club ;)

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1342475013' post='1735934']
Oh there are times I really enjoy being controlled, but that's normally on a Wednesday night at my "special" club ;)
[/quote]
Knitting is so last season mate, it's macrame these days :D

If there's a curfew then there is one, end of argument. If you ignore it then at one point do you decide to turn it off? Five minutes, ten minutes, an hour? Everyone knew the rules and not to be able to work within them is just unprofessional both on the part of the artist and the organiser.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1342475904' post='1735965']
If there's a curfew then there is one, end of argument. If you ignore it then at one point do you decide to turn it off? Five minutes, ten minutes, an hour? Everyone knew the rules and not to be able to work within them is just unprofessional both on the part of the artist and the organiser.

Steve
[/quote]

Perfect point, well presented.

The Altamont free concert, in 1969, arguably, falls into a different category. Although, that said, it does demonstrate what can happen when security/supervision isn't properly handled. In that case, out of a crowd of circa 300,000, one murder, three accidental deaths, significant numbers of injured, and Mick Jagger being punched in the face.

The Duisburg Love Parade, in 2010, is possibly a better example of what happens in a situation where a large number of people are not properly supervised. There, out of a reported attendance in excess of one million, 21 people died, with the injured being in mid hundreds, when a large crowd attempting to both access/egress through a single tunnel stampeded.

Could the elephant in the room be the fact that the most rock & roll person at the entire gig... Was the dude who pulled the plug?

Nothing like sticking it to the man - and no clearer candidates than the ageing millionaires on stage. You don 't get more punk than citing Health & Safety regulations to those old corporate whores.

No?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1342480131' post='1736054']
Could the elephant in the room be the fact that the most rock & roll person at the entire gig... Was the dude who pulled the plug?

Nothing like sticking it to the man - and no clearer candidates than the ageing millionaires on stage. You don 't get more punk than citing Health & Safety regulations to those old corporate whores.

No?
[/quote]

Damn straight

Now if he'd just dropped some phat beats over the PA system to finish the night off after all that "old fart music" he would have my neverending respect.
:)