Why become a member? ×

landlord switched off the mics because of over run

Ou7shined

What is totally unprofessional is coming on for an encore without being asked. Seems to have crept into a lot of gigs I go to. So much in fact that when the band say thank you and good night, most of the crowd sit down and wait for them to come back and do a few more tunes. It used to be that everyone would be left calling for more for a good 5 mins before someone would reappear on stage.

In function bands that I've played in we make it clear 2 songs before the end that we're playing 2 more, then that's it. We stop and fade up an MP3 already cued on the PA. In pub gigs we just finish and turn off. Always leave them wanting more. We have on occasions had to turn back on and play another tune or two but that's an exception when the landlord has agreed and the crowd has had a very good evening.

Marks them out as really amateurish and as was said before they obviously don't get to play out much. Which doesn't surprise me, if they over-run every time.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1342381353' post='1734125']
What is totally unprofessional is coming on for an encore without being asked. Seems to have crept into a lot of gigs I go to. So much in fact that when the band say thank you and good night, most of the crowd sit down and wait for them to come back and do a few more tunes. It used to be that everyone would be left calling for more for a good 5 mins before someone would reappear on stage.
[/quote]

This.

IMO an encore should be earned by both the band and the audience.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342359462' post='1733663']
Having been involved in drafting use agreements for major concert venues, you'll find it has a lot less to do with the so-called local "miserable bastards" residents objections to noise than it has to do with concerns for the safety of attendees and working time regulations, for venue custodial and security personnel. Timings are carefully coordinate with local policing provision, and usually set to allow attendees safe and ready access to local public transport routes and hubs in order to leave the area afterwards. Yes, of course, noise pollution is a consideration, but it is by no means the primary consideration.
[/quote]

And I thought it was all just about rock and roll! I feel that after reading this, a little piece of me has died:[

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342359462' post='1733663']
Having been involved in drafting use agreements for major concert venues, you'll find it has a lot less to do with the so-called local "miserable bastards" residents objections to noise than it has to do with concerns for the safety of attendees and working time regulations, for venue custodial and security personnel. Timings are carefully coordinate with local policing provision, and usually set to allow attendees safe and ready access to local public transport routes and hubs in order to leave the area afterwards. Yes, of course, noise pollution is a consideration, but it is by no means the primary consideration.
[/quote]

How would letting Bruce and Mac have a "good night and thanks for coming" have reduced safe and ready access to local transport?

I was at Soundgarden on Friday. As soon as the ligths came up, off I strolled towards Hyde Park Corner and got to Victoria Station 10 minutes later by foot. Simple.

Even Boris Johnson criticised the switch-off, I think: "It sounds to me like an excessively efficacious decision. You won't get that during the Olympics. If they'd have called me, my answer would have been for them to jam in the name of the Lord!”

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1342423604' post='1734452']
How would letting Bruce and Mac have a "good night and thanks for coming" have reduced safe and ready access to local transport?
[/quote]

From what I've read they'd had 30 minutes extra in which the gig could have been wrapped up. If there's a music curfew for a gig then bands and organisers should stick to it. Bruce and Mac wanting play past it has probably put any similar future event in jeopardy. That IMO is somewhat selfish.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1342423913' post='1734457']
Even Boris Johnson criticised the switch-off, I think: "It sounds to me like an excessively efficacious decision. You won't get that during the Olympics. If they'd have called me, my answer would have been for them to jam in the name of the Lord!”
[/quote]

Just goes to show that Boris is an old fart who should be put out to pasture and not be allowed to run London.

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1342395190' post='1734376']
And I thought it was all just about rock and roll! [b]I feel that after reading this, a little piece of me has died:[[/b]
[/quote]

Why?

These are inclusive family events in a public space, they need to be controlled properly, safety and security are important.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1342362679' post='1733721']
Considering what silddx does, there is a certain irony regards your post :) SILDDX, SORT YOURSELF OUT MAN. GET YOURSELF INFORMED ;)

Springsteen's renowned for doing long sets.
[/quote]

Bruce Springsteen - the Ken Dodd of rock.

I'd probably only go to a Springsteen concert to watch Nils Lofgren play. There are only a few songs of Bruce's that I like. Would be much better to just wait until Nils Lofgren tours on his own. I remember when Nils played at our local high schools.

Any American gigging over here should take the time to know the laws.

My mate at work was there, he's a massive Springsteen (and Beatles) fan. He said it was gently faded out, not cut off abruptly, but there was a lot of booing. He also said Springsteen makes a habit of coming on late and defying curfews, even having a set piece joke with the guitarist about it at a previous show.

My mate wasn't pissed off about the fade out, he said Springsteen should have hit the stage on time, he was about 20 minutes late.

Edited by silddx

I hear Bruce's late start was due to John Fogerty over-running.

Report in from a colleague who was there for Sunday's show: everyone was going on early, and he turned up at the advertised time to hear his favourite band just starting their last song. Hey ho.

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1342424295' post='1734460']
Just goes to show that Boris is an old fart who should be put out to pasture and not be allowed to run London.
[/quote]

Don't be fooled. Everything Boris says and does is carefully stage managed. He even arrives at events early so that his hair can be given that perfect tassled look before facing the public.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342432310' post='1734618']
My mate at work was there, he's a massive Springsteen (and Beatles) fan. He said it was gently faded out, not cut off abruptly, but there was a lot of booing. He also said Springsteen makes a habit of coming on late and defying curfews, even having a set piece joke with the guitarist about it at a previous show.

My mate wasn't pissed off about the fade out, he said Springsteen should have hit the stage on time, he was about 20 minutes late.
[/quote]

That's even worse. He must have been aware for nearly 20 minutes that he should have been cutting the length of his set. Another thing that we've had to do when wedding/function speeches go on faaaaar to long.

Although probaly not his fault going on late is just as unproffessional. Saw Richard Bona at Jazz Cafe. Doors art 7.30 for 9.00 start. He didn't start until nearly 10pm. On a week night. Most of the audience missed the end of the set to get the last train.

I sense a lot of anger in this thread. I know how you feel, people - I, too, thought we did not negotiate with terrorists.

The next time Springsteen holds 80,000 people hostage, we should send in the SAS and clear the job lot out. Worse than the Somali pirates, these buggers.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1342432773' post='1734624']
I hope he had to hang around for ages trying to find the promoter for his fee just to make it a proper English gig night.
[/quote]

:D

And it's not an exclusively English phenomena either - we are still a few hundred quid short in our band bank account from our last gig 2 weeks ago... apparently it's been transfered, it just hasn't been cleared yet. Promoters eh. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1342435579' post='1734704']
I sense a lot of anger in this thread. I know how you feel, people - I, too, thought we did not negotiate with terrorists.

The next time Springsteen holds 80,000 people hostage, we should send in the SAS and clear the job lot out. Worse than the Somali pirates, these buggers.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1342423604' post='1734452']How would letting Bruce and Mac have a "good night and thanks for coming" have reduced safe and ready access to local transport?

I was at Soundgarden on Friday. As soon as the ligths came up, off I strolled towards Hyde Park Corner and got to Victoria Station 10 minutes later by foot. Simple.[/quote]

Agreed. But how exactly would the venue have known that it was the performers intention to end at that point? The performers had already indulged in a substantial overrun, and comments on social media circulated afterwards by one of the guitarists indicates there was an intention to play a third song. There comes a point where the cutoff has to be enforced, and that point was reached.

Re your attendance at a concert, and your journey home. Clearly you were in the fortunate position to both know and use certain of the available transport links to return home. Not all concert attendees out of an audience of 80,000 would be in your fortunate position. Not all would be travelling short distances home. Not all would have the requisite knowledge of alternative travel options should their primary travel option not be available. Releasing 80,000 persons into a location at a late hour, without appropriate access to travel from the location is a health and safety concern, as well as a public order concern. Those organising such events as an outdoor concert for 80,000 have a duty of care to all attendees, not just those who live close to the area and have a short distance to travel home.