Why become a member? ×

landlord switched off the mics because of over run

Ou7shined

A response to the situation from Kevin Myers, Deputy Chief Exec of the Health and Safety Executive:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/record/2012/springsteen160712.htm?eban=rss-putting-the-record-straight

"As a longstanding Bruce Springsteen fan and one of the crowd at Hard Rock Calling, I was doubly disappointed to hear Live Nation give 'health and safety' as the reason for cutting short Saturday's gig.
The fans deserve the truth: there are no health and safety issues involved here. While public events may have licensing conditions dictating when they should end, this is not health and safety and it is disingenuous of Live Nation to say so."

So in answer to my question 'How would letting Bruce and Mac have a "good night and thanks for coming" have reduced safe and ready access to local transport?' - it wouldn't.

"It's ironic that this excuse has been used in relation to Bruce Springsteen, who certainly knows what real health and safety is all about - look at the words of 'Factory' from Darkness on the Edge of Town referring to the toll that factory work can take on the health of blue collar workers.

People will now only be able to speculate what the final number should have been. Given that he'd already played Wrecking Ball and that Paul McCartney was on stage, how about Don't let me down?"

You ignored the third and final graphs of Mr Myers quote. The ones where he comes across as sounding like a petulant child, having had its toys taken away. The ones where he goes on to add to the speculation that it was Springsteen's intention to continue the performance with no regard to any of the surrounding issues, and ignoring the rights and responsibilities of others, including the hundreds of employees/operatives engaged to work at the concert venue that night. Somewhat surprising, wouldn't you say, for a man who we're told is the friend, and advocate for the rights, of the workingman? Springsteen certainly wasn't showing much respect for others, or right. And it's wonderfully naive of you to focus your attention on one aspect of the decision, as if there would simply be one category of concern for the concert venue on the night. Is Mr Myers also an expert on public order issues? Is Mr Myers also an expert on the working time regulations issues? Is Mr Myers also offering expert comment on the civil and criminal liabilities of the concert organisers? Or was Mr Myers' the knee-jerk defence of an area of regulation which comes in for regular criticism in society, whose comments are biased from his own personal experience and disappointment on the night?

Edited by noelk27

Whoa this thread's got affa' heavy.

In summary ; it's not all that ironic that the top name performers had the plug pulled on them (despite umbrage being taken about it being mentioned on here at the pub gig level) as rules are rules and there were a lot of people who died in the 70's once and that could happen again and besides the people behind the scenes might have been late home for cocoa... there may or may not have been any over-run depending on who to believe... the concept of saying "f*ck it let's have one more tune" is frowned upon in these boards... rock n roll is dead.

Thanks farmers wife. :D

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1342522110' post='1736428']
"It's ironic that this excuse has been used in relation to Bruce Springsteen, who certainly knows what real health and safety is all about - look at the words of 'Factory' from Darkness on the Edge of Town referring to the toll that factory work can take on the health of blue collar workers.

People will now only be able to speculate what the final number should have been. Given that he'd already played Wrecking Ball and that Paul McCartney was on stage, how about Don't let me down?"

You ignored the third and final graphs of Mr Myers quote. The ones where he comes across as sounding like a petulant child, having had its toys taken away. The ones where he goes on to add to the speculation that it was Springsteen's intention to continue the performance with no regard to any of the surrounding issues, and ignoring the rights and responsibilities of others, including the hundreds of employees/operatives engaged to work at the concert venue that night. Somewhat surprising, wouldn't you say, for a man who we're told is the friend, and advocate for the rights, of the workingman? Springsteen certainly wasn't showing much respect for others, or right. And it's wonderfully naive of you to focus your attention on one aspect of the decision, as if there would simply be one category of concern for the concert venue on the night. Is Mr Myers also an expert on public order issues? Is Mr Myers also an expert on the working time regulations issues? Is Mr Myers also offering expert comment on the civil and criminal liabilities of the concert organisers? Or was Mr Myers' the knee-jerk defence of an area of regulation which comes in for regular criticism in society, whose comments are biased from his own personal experience and disappointment on the night?
[/quote]

This is getting interesting now. I'd like to hear more from the HSE on this as I'd imagine there would be some safety concerns.

However, it deeply angers me that so much is blamed on health and safety as it's a dead easy target, and the public are told so much sh*t by the right wing anti EU media about H&S.

I would like to know why Live Nation DID blame H&S. I think it's probably more to do with extra costs, residents, licence restrictions, etc. and H&S is only a part of it.

They blamed it on road closures.

[url="http://www.contactmusic.com/news/festival-bosses-defend-bruce-springsteen-cut-off_1366120"]http://www.contactmusic.com/news/festival-bosses-defend-bruce-springsteen-cut-off_1366120[/url]

edit: Link added.

Edited by TimR

[/quote]

Have you ever taken part in a light hearted thread? I recommend it.
This one's quite funny:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/62236-bad-jokes/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/62236-bad-jokes/[/url]

Or is that just petty animus?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1342523662' post='1736456']
A sing of the times?
[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2134905/Church-bell-chimed-world-wars-silenced-complaint-village-newcomer.html"]http://www.dailymail...e-newcomer.html[/url]

(Ok, I know its the Daily Mail, who had to mention 2 world wars...)
[/quote]

Church warden John Ledbury, whose house backs on to the church, said 'People accept the chimes as part of village life and, as there is no actual clock face on the church, [b]a lot of villagers rely on them to know what the time is[/b].

Yeah, 1486 :lol:

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1342523662' post='1736456']
A sing of the times?
[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2134905/Church-bell-chimed-world-wars-silenced-complaint-village-newcomer.html"]http://www.dailymail...e-newcomer.html[/url]

(Ok, I know its the Daily Mail, who had to mention 2 world wars...)
[/quote]

Haha. That's funny. In a separate conversation I've had about the Bruce/Mac thing, I mentioned that I live next door to a church which has 3 or 4 separate services on a Sunday, and while they don't have bells they have a church organ which we can hear inside. I'm thinking of asking the church to only have services in the week during daytime when everyone's out. Then I can have my peaceful lie-in. Doesn't matter that the church has been there years longer than me! I'm a local resident and object to having my peaceful Sunday lie-ins disturbed.

What? join in with the joyful atmosphere and communal spirit? I don't think so.

You ignored the third and final graphs of Mr Myers quote. The ones where he comes across as sounding like a petulant child, having had its toys taken away. The ones where he goes on to add to the speculation that it was Springsteen's intention to continue the performance with no regard to any of the surrounding issues, and ignoring the rights and responsibilities of others, including the hundreds of employees/operatives engaged to work at the concert venue that night.
[/quote]

You seem like quite the expert! Are you able to answer my question? Just in case you missed it, it was "How would letting Bruce and Mac have a "good night and thanks for coming" have reduced safe and ready access to local transport?". It wasn't a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely interested.

Also, please don't mistake my editing for brevity's sake as ignorance or naivety.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342523985' post='1736459']
... the concept of saying "f*ck it let's have one more tune" is frowned upon in these boards... rock n roll is dead.
[/quote]

Well, the millionaire w***ers currently grumbling about the application of certain contractual arrangements were the ones who helped pioneer the wave of creative energy which turned music from art into business.

You know, business; that endless stream of contractual arrangements, nit-picking legalese, and hard-nosed commerciality. A bit like the contracts they signed to get onto the bill, eh?

Ooof, you know. I think I'm putting some weight on with this irony diet! :lol:

This thread is only heavy because no one listens to the Gus :(

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1342526232' post='1736512']
Well, [b]the millionaire w***ers[/b] currently grumbling about the application of certain contractual arrangements ...
[/quote]

Eww I don't fancy that job. No wonder they wanted home sharpish... for a shower.

:D

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1342525817' post='1736504']

You seem like quite the expert! Are you able to answer my question? Just in case you missed it, it was "How would letting Bruce and Mac have a "good night and thanks for coming" have reduced safe and ready access to local transport?". It wasn't a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely interested.

Also, please don't mistake my editing for brevity's sake as ignorance or naivety.
[/quote]

As the link I posted above. They closed roads. I assume that the road closures are time based rather than just close them when they've had enough of playing.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1342524048' post='1736461']and H&S is only a part of it.
[/quote]

Yeah, but H&S is a damn big umbrella - and in that kind of climate a damn big umbrella is a handy thing to use when other folk want their arses covered.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342532504' post='1736673']
Yeah, but H&S is a damn big umbrella - and in that kind of climate a damn big umbrella is a handy thing to use when other folk want their arses covered.
[/quote]

I'm a traditionalist... I prefer keks. I imagine that an accidental umbrella/arse deployment situation wouldn't be a pretty sight. :D

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342532504' post='1736673']
[/quote]

Organisations like to blame H&S for things that aren't H&S related because it makes them look good while covering up the truth, whereas fessing up that it was a finance consideration makes them look bad.

Remember the LTA banning people from Murray Mount last year for 'health and safety' concerns?

Edited by silddx