Why become a member? ×

What Value Is Your 'Pub Gig' Bass?

spongebob

I'm absolutely blowed if I'm going to gig and leave my Shuker JJ at home-so about £16-1700 I believe at the moment. I try to look after it, but at the end of the day it was made to be played, preferably live. However I'm prepared to bet that if your average tea-leaf was going to swipe one out of my two basses, he'd ignore the Shuker and take the Mex Fender next to it, as most people wouldn't know a Shuker from a ukelele.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone has already said the same thing, but.....

I [i]really don't [/i]understand at all, why anyone would have a bass that they won't play in a pub, just because it was expensive. It's ridiculous. Get it insured if you're worried, surely? If you have a bass that's so valuable that you can't take it out, why have it at all? The thought of having an old banger for gigs, while a couple of grands worth of Alembic or something sits at home, is madness to me.

Haven't read all thread, but I'm one of those who can't see why would a pub gig need anything different. Never had any threat of damage.

It'd by my current 'go-to' bass which is a cooking (in the bog standard sense) Stingray I got from jcater on this list which I'm thoroughly enjoying. £6-700?

Insured, yes
Fastidious about looking after and keeping an eye on the kit, yes

Never had an issue yet, fingers crossed I dont take my eye off the ball now. However if the Roscoe has anything going for it to allay my fears its the fact that noone knows what the hell it is, and it doesnt look nearly as xpensive as it actually is.

I usually play a GenzBenzShuttle6-Midget-FenderJapJazz not sure what it's worth([b]1500 secondhand maybe[/b]) but I probably should get it insured.
Played an outdoor gig for the first time, the TraceV6 sounded immense.
Now you got me thinking about insurance, I wonder what it costs? That's a different thread!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1342623017' post='1738058']
My 'gigging' basses regardless of where the gig is are my fretted and fretless Alembics. Not much point having them if I wasn't going to use them.
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat you jacko as I only have alembics. But I havent done a pub gig in years.
Jazzyvee

Define value? You mean money?

I expect my 73P is worth around £1200 given the upgrades I've made but I'll never sell it so it's real financial value to me is zero. if someone tried to take it from me I'd do whatever it took to stop them doing so and i'd likely end up in the slammer. So - 8 to 10 years is another possible value.

I tend to protect it from harm by taking a 90's blueflower jap precision instead. Can't remember what I paid for it - about £270 on ebay I think.

having gone to the trouble of having my lighter bitsa made for gigging i actually used my 77 for the whole of my last gig, it just feels and sounds so right, i'm actually thinking of selling the bitsa to help fund a new cab or a better 5 string. i got through both sets with a big stupid grin on my face that wouldn't have been there with the bitsa and there was no pain the next morning.
Matt