Why become a member? ×

5 string players - what gauge strings do you use?

TRBboy

Just interested to see what gauges people use really. I've only just returned to regular 5 string playing, and I'm not sure what gauge I used to use. I've just re-strung with .045" - .135" on the basis that I use .45" - .105" on a 4 string anyway, but they feel a bit like hard work TBH! I'd like to try lighter, like .40" - .125" or maybe lighter still, but I don't know if they'd be a bit flappy (especially the B ).

With regard to the poll, I realise this isn't an exhaustive list, and we are talking about standard(ish) tuning (e.g. not E-C).

So what do you use?

Edited by TRBboy

La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels:
40-60-80-100-128 on the Red Gus G3 and Sei Flamboyant Fretless
45-65-85-105-135 on the Black Gus G3

SIT Power Wound Nickel:
45-65-85-105-130 on the Reverend Rumblefish and Yamaha BJ 5B

Overwater:
44-64-84-104-134 Stainless on the Overwater Original
44-64-84-104-134 Nickel on the Overwater Original Fretless

HTH

Edited by BigRedX

Depending on the scale length and tension, I tend to go between DR 40-120 or 45-125. I like these gauges because they don't have a ridiculous B string, and there is consistency as all strings step up by the same amount. Unless you've got a 5 string with issues I don't really understand putting a telephone wire across the fingerboard (Massive novelty B string), and it not being relative to the rest of the strings.. 5 strings tend to have a different feel to the tension in the neck (obviously-more strings!) so it can be tricky getting the tension/sound you are happy with.

Depends on the bass and the type of music I am predominantly playing at the time. I do find, though, that I am preferring heavier strings than I used to. Just bought a new (to me) fiver and just about to look for some strings. Will probably go down the Newtone route and see what gauges they have around the 45-130/5 range...

My main gigging basses are a pair of lakland 55-02's... Both are strung with Elixir as all my basses are. the big challenge with Lakland is to string through body (and in fact even through bridge i still cutting it fine!) the standard "long" strings aren't long enough, so I use the extra longs which only come as 45-105 with a single 130 taper wound B string.

This is a slightly heavier gauge than I used to use on my previous Spector basses, but I absolutey love them. They are nice and soft to touch and slippery, with a beautiful tone, particularly the B, and they last for ages as long as you don't strip/damage the coatings as you pull through the bridge. I just checked, and the last set i put on my main bass was in March. They still look, feel and sound like new, even though they have probably done about 25 gigs and a load of rehearsals (I play finger style, I think using a pick would have damaged the coatings by now...)

I've never been lighter than a 125 B string... I suspect you are right, it would lose definition and start clacking on the fretboard unless you played really gently!

My main gauge is - .45 .65 .80 .100 .130

I use those for standard, Bb standard and A standard.
I play fingerstyle, root on the neck pickup and I'm not very reserved either. X-D
They don't flob, but I don't like strings over tight, they tend to loose tone, especially the bell like tone I crave, the tighter they get.
Also for tapping, having the lower strings not quite so thick helps reduce mud.
It's all about the way you attack and EQ I think, long as they ain't rattling like hell it's all cool, and I do like a little fret buzz. Just as a fretless gains it's mwah from neck contact, fretted gains edge and grit from a touch of buzz. :-)

Forgot to add, this is on both 35" and 34" scale.
Strings are D'addario Pro Steel.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1340378156' post='1703752']
My main gauge is - .45 .65 .80 .100 .130

I use those for standard, Bb standard and A standard.
I play fingerstyle, root on the neck pickup and I'm not very reserved either. X-D
They don't flob, but I don't like strings over tight, they tend to loose tone, especially the bell like tone I crave, the tighter they get.
Also for tapping, having the lower strings not quite so thick helps reduce mud.
It's all about the way you attack and EQ I think, long as they ain't rattling like hell it's all cool, and I do like a little fret buzz. Just as a fretless gains it's mwah from neck contact, fretted gains edge and grit from a touch of buzz. :-)

Forgot to add, this is on both 35" and 34" scale.
Strings are D'addario Pro Steel.
[/quote]

I'm suspecting this is where I'll end up, in fact, the more I think about it the more I think this is what I used to use.

D'addario Prosteels are just awesome! They seem to be some of the chepest "name brand" strings about these days, but they're just great strings. I very rarely buy anything else.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1340384155' post='1703909']
Im the only person who voted for 0.125" so far then, pink Ernie Ball super Slinkys :)
[/quote]

How do you find them? Your 'Rays are 34" scale right? In my mind they would feel nice and easy to play, but I imagine them to be slightly flappy/rattly in action.

I´m playing an obviously rare set, which is not in the poll: 0.040", 0.060", 0.080", 0.100", 0.125" stainless steel of Rockinger guitars. After a few years of trying different brands and strength I felt in love with these and use them since 20 years now.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1340388048' post='1703979']
How do you find them? Your 'Rays are 34" scale right? In my mind they would feel nice and easy to play, but I imagine them to be slightly flappy/rattly in action.
[/quote]

They probably could be tighter but I quite like a flappy string anyway, I might try and go up a gauge and see how I get on, the fact both Rays have useable Bs with 125's shows how good a 34" can be though, its probably criminal not having something tighter on there.

[quote name='jensenmann' timestamp='1340388234' post='1703986']
I´m playing an obviously rare set, which is not in the poll: 0.040", 0.060", 0.080", 0.100", 0.125" stainless steel of Rockinger guitars. After a few years of trying different brands and strength I felt in love with these and use them since 20 years now.
[/quote]

Yeah sorry, I did realise I missed these out! I was just looking at standard D'addario gauges at the time as that's what I normally buy, but of course the gauge you're using is one of the most common ones too.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1340384155' post='1703909']
Im the only person who voted for 0.125" so far then, pink Ernie Ball super Slinkys :)
[/quote]

I used to use those tuned down half a step on a 34" scale bass... How the hell I managed that I'll NEVER know!

I was surprised to read an interview with Andrew Gouche where he said that he uses .044", .060", .078", .098", .125". He tunes down a whole tone and he's quite a big guy, so I didn't think he would use such a light gauge. He says his technique is really light and gentle though so I guess it works okay.

Edited by TRBboy

When using light gauges my fretting hand goes all over the place, bending strings and making a huge mess, can't do it! Serves me right for using a .152 for so long :lol:

EDIT: In hindsight... my fretting hand going all over the place, bending strings and making a huge mess is actually pretty normal for me ;)

Edited by chrismuzz