Why become a member? ×

meths for string cleaning!

Bay Splayer

You can fashion small tubes from domestic piping (the narrow ones, screw cap at the ends, seal one with silicone), fill 'em up with ethanol/meths and use them for dunking your strings and leaving them hanging over night. Just make sure you put a screw hook or similar in the cap that unscrews to attach the string to.

/shamelessly robbed from someone who posted about it on BW.

It'll be better than boiling as the ethanol will dissolve the dirt from the windings, rather than expanding the string so the dirt falls out.

[quote name='bassace' post='183458' date='Apr 23 2008, 07:50 AM']I use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) from good ol' Maplin. They call it Electronic Cleaning Solvent and it goes for about £10 per litre can. I use it to clean the URB strings in situ once a week.[/quote]

I thought IPA was banned by the HSE. We used to use it where I was working years ago and had to change.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='183580' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:33 AM']what about on coated strings like elixirs? would it effect the coating?[/quote]

The whole idea of coated strings like elixirs (who coat all of the string) is partly for a smoother feel, but mainly so the coating fills the gaps and keeps all the gunk out.

When elixirs die, it's probably down to being streched so much, rather than gunk stopping them resonating properly I reckon.

You'd have to ask them whether using a cleaning solution would affect the coatings, but once the coatings go, it's probably time to buy new strings.

[quote name='uptonmark' post='183085' date='Apr 22 2008, 07:03 PM']just seen on a bass website that you can clean your strings with [b]methylated spirit [/b]:)

anyone tried it and if so are the results any good?[/quote]

Yes. I've taken to wiping my hands on a meths-soaked cloth every now and again while playing, to keep the sweat and finger jam from getting into the strings in the first place.

Looks good on stage, a bottle of meths on top of the amp.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='183107' date='Apr 22 2008, 07:30 PM']Yep, except I use neat ethanol. Meths is just ethanol that has had additives added to it so you can't drink it. Our friends in the land of the free call it denatured alcohol.

It dissolves any greasy gunk that's trapped in the windings of the strings. Works a treat.[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
......."You CANT drink it????????" :)

[quote name='FJ1200' post='183487' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:45 AM']I thought IPA was banned by the HSE. We used to use it where I was working years ago and had to change.[/quote]

I bought some a while ago from a pharmacy. Told them it was for cleaning tape heads, contacts, pots etc.
About £3 for 500ml.

[quote name='bassace' post='183458' date='Apr 23 2008, 07:50 AM']I use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) from good ol' Maplin. They call it Electronic Cleaning Solvent and it goes for about £10 per litre can. I use it to clean the URB strings in situ once a week.[/quote]

Excellent Octane booster for sad wilting hi- perfromance cars that require 98 to run properly 100 to go well (MR2 Turbo e.g)

:)

NNNnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

[quote name='Buzz' post='183279' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:31 PM']You can fashion small tubes from domestic piping (the narrow ones, screw cap at the ends, seal one with silicone), fill 'em up with ethanol/meths and use them for dunking your strings and leaving them hanging over night. Just make sure you put a screw hook or similar in the cap that unscrews to attach the string to.

It'll be better than boiling as the ethanol will dissolve the dirt from the windings, rather than expanding the string so the dirt falls out.[/quote]

Sounds complicated. +1 for the ethanol/meths though - I used to put a bit of ethanol onto a cloth or kitchen roll and wipe the strings. Worked a treat!

[quote name='Buzz' post='183601' date='Apr 23 2008, 11:01 AM']The whole idea of coated strings like elixirs (who coat all of the string) is partly for a smoother feel, but mainly so the coating fills the gaps and keeps all the gunk out.

When elixirs die, it's probably down to being streched so much, rather than gunk stopping them resonating properly I reckon.

You'd have to ask them whether using a cleaning solution would affect the coatings, but once the coatings go, it's probably time to buy new strings.[/quote]

yeah i know, but they still get crap on them, just wondering if they can be wiped down in the same way. :)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='184183' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:41 PM']Well, you could... they used to add methanol to it to make it kill you if you drank it, but that didn't bother some, so they started adding stuff like denatonium instead, which just makes it undrinkable because it's so bitter.[/quote]

MB1. :)
....T'isnt!.... :huh:

[quote name='dlloyd' post='184183' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:41 PM']Well, you could... they used to add methanol to it to make it kill you if you drank it, but that didn't bother some, so they started adding stuff like denatonium instead, which just makes it undrinkable because it's so bitter.[/quote]
I don't think they add the methanol, that's just in there because the distillation can be less accurate if it can include the methanol fraction as well as the ethanol. The possible ready-made cocktails of meths are listed [url="http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1987/Uksi_19872009_en_5.htm#mdiv15"]here.[/url]

Some may recall the conversion from town gas to natural gas, around 35 years ago. Town gas was smelly (and toxic), natural gas was odourless (and non-toxic, though it would, of course, asphyxiate you). So that people could smell the gas (which does pose more hazards than just asphyxiation), a scent was added to it, which was (mildy) toxic.

A day is never wasted if you've learnt something... :)

• 7 months later...

[quote name='Buzz' post='183279' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:31 PM']You can fashion small tubes from domestic piping (the narrow ones, screw cap at the ends, seal one with silicone), fill 'em up with ethanol/meths and use them for dunking your strings and leaving them hanging over night. Just make sure you put a screw hook or similar in the cap that unscrews to attach the string to.

It'll be better than boiling as the ethanol will dissolve the dirt from the windings, rather than expanding the string so the dirt falls out.[/quote]

I use this exact method, I think I saw it over on TB originally. Works a charm, I've had good results even with strings that've been recycled 3 or 4 times (haven't tried more than that yet).

[quote name='tauzero' post='184438' date='Apr 24 2008, 11:11 AM']So that people could smell the gas (which does pose more hazards than just asphyxiation), a scent was added to it, which was (mildy) toxic.

A day is never wasted if you've learnt something... :)[/quote]

Slightly OT but a few years ago a tanker containing the sent crashed and reports of gas leaks came in for miles around.

For what its worth i have boiled strings in times of need and it works a treat in the short term, remember to rotate the strings so any flats worn no longer sit on the frets.

Edited by steve-norris

How tight are you lot? just buy new strings!

JOKE!! (ducks for cover) :)

No in all seriousness I have boiled strings for years and never heard of this, sounds like an idea worth trying, although I do use Ernieball Strings which are cheap as dirt and last me ages. right off to the shop for some Meths and may have a swig on the way back to the office.....well it is christmas.

I've boiled my strings once in a while, but never used meths. My brother is a chef by profession (ex-Army) and he swears by cleaning stainless steel with methylated spirits - non smearing and eats the grease, so I'm sure there's some validity in the use of MS.

It brings my hob and cooker hood up lovely.

P