Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry I jumped the gun... let me introduce myself..

Bass-Thing

Hi I'm Bass-Thing

Sorry about that. I started using the forum and chipping into things without introducing myself first. Anyway delighted to be on Basschat where I've already found everybody to be really helpful and indeed knowledgable.

Started playing when I was 16 (1978!) after seeing the Clash! Then at 19 I stopped and had a 25 year haitus. My career didn't really leave time for much else but I was always intending to take it up again, like you do. Then when I was 44 I was seriously ill and realised that I shouldn't really wait anymore to do anything that I still wanted to do. I bought a bass (Squier black and chrome p-bass special which I still have) and started having lessons with my local Rock God (Herbie Flowers - a truly wonderful human being and a legendary bass player). Since that time I've played in a few bands and started a collection of basses. The latter leads to a certain amount of marital conflict but I don't really care. My teenage bass playing was spoiled by the fact that I could only afford a somewhat sh*tty Avon SG bass that has chronic fret buzz and was short scale (I'm 6'4) and I'm buggered if I'm going to compromise now! My lovely wife still has more pairs of shoes and handbags than I have basses... at the moment.

I now have regular lessons with the head of bass at BIMM Brighton, Franc O'Shea who is utterly brilliant, both as a teacher and indeed a bassist. He's a very modest man who just happens to be one of the greatest players in the World. Anyway I turn 50 in October and as a present to myself, I'm taking a year off to study at BIMM for my pro bass players diploma. I don't know what it will lead to but I seriously cannot wait to get started. The idea of doing nothing apart from playing bass all day is sheer heaven.

My moment of Rock'n'roll Nirvana, probably never to be bettered, was when Herbie Flowers invited me to join him onstage for a gig to play Walk on the Wild Side with him. He played the double bass and I played his prototype 1960 Fender Jazz Bass..... (Lou Reed wasn't there by the way). A bit of an out of body experience really.

I was christened Bass-Thing by my friend Dunc who was the guitarist in my last band. I also occasionally supply the low end for Tom Staniford who is a young up and coming singer songwriter (though I do raise the average age of the band to 30 so I have to be careful). My avatar is me rehearsing with Tom in the toilets of the venue where we played our last gig. That is a man standing behind me having a wee.

I have yet to take decent pix of my bass collection but here are the ones I keep in the office:

[attachment=110253:IMG_0150.JPG]

From left to right we have Sada (SBMM Ray35), Rusty (Fender Jazz Bass 24 with jazz humbucker) and Gilda (Yamaha TRB4 fretless). I also have an Ampeg PF500 in a PF210 as my main rig.

[attachment=110254:IMG_0153.JPG]

I tend to find if I don't keep basses handy, I don't practice enough. I'll post more pix later.

Anyway that's me folks. I'm delighted to be joining you all and I'm looking forward to sharing with you interesting anecdotes like how I blew up my brand new amp when I switched it on for the first time and also how I seem to get the most ridiculous bargains on Ebay.

Until next time

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all your kind messages of welcome. I actually find that being on this site and part of this community is a big help to keeping focused on all things bass. There was a video of my Herbie moment on YouTube but can't find it now. Not too sorry as I was 2 stone heavier than now and a much worse player.

[quote name='Ruiner' timestamp='1340895500' post='1711201']
I think the no longer a newbie thing is post count related.

GAS = Gear Aquisition Syndrome something I predict you'll start to feel after hanging around here for any length of time ;)
[/quote]

Oh God in that case I can safely say I've had serious GAS for years. :blush: Thanks for letting me know.

Hi BassThing and belated welcome to BC. That's an interesting story you have there. Good on you re starting the bass course. I also reached the 50 milestone (millstone?) mark and started a college course at DBs sound when I was 49. I was surrounded there by young 17 years dubstep/dance/house guys with headphones permanently glued to their heads. Thought I'd feel out of place but didn't and if anything, the other students were curious and enthusiastic with regard to my musical background, though I drew the line at bombarding them with Prog rock!

[quote name='simonc61' timestamp='1341068319' post='1713452']
Hi BassThing and belated welcome to BC. That's an interesting story you have there. Good on you re starting the bass course. I also reached the 50 milestone (millstone?) mark and started a college course at DBs sound when I was 49. I was surrounded there by young 17 years dubstep/dance/house guys with headphones permanently glued to their heads. Thought I'd feel out of place but didn't and if anything, the other students were curious and enthusiastic with regard to my musical background, though I drew the line at bombarding them with Prog rock!
[/quote]

Thanks so much for that. Really encouraging to hear. I'm really looking forward to it and it's not long now. Nothing wrong with prog rock!

• 4 weeks later...