Why become a member? ×

Strange band situation not sure how to react

Chrismanbass

hi guys sorry to start one of these threads again but i'm not sure how to take this really just had this message from the lead singer from one of the function bands i'm in

just a bit of back story i depped out the last gig to a friend of mine because it was the jublee weekend and i had gigs previously booked and then this landed in my inbox today

[size=3][color=#333333]hey regarding the band we haven't heard from you at all about rehearsals or gigs etc.. I'm worried about your availability for our band this summer and the rest of the year because we really want to get this moving. How do you feel about it? There will be no hard feelings if you feel you can't manage it.[/color]
[color=#333333][b]There a few gigs coming up but it was from the street party and we have been requested specifically so will use (the dep bass player) for them[/b]. Hope you are good.. let me know whats happening Xxx[/color][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333][left]now am i being unreasonable if i kick up a fuss about this as IME all the gigs that the band get come to me and then i dep them out if i need to surely they don't just start calling the dep for all the gigs booked off the back of a gig i couldn't make because it was a last minute gig and i had something else booked?[/left][/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][left]also to compound the problem the keyboard player has been kicked out of the band and replaced with the singers brother without so much as a word to me about it [/left][/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][left]feeling slightly out of the loop at the moment any advice? [/left][/font][/color][/size]

i very much doubt that the person who gave them the new gigs on the back of their street party gig insisted that they keep the exact same line up

sounds to an old cynic like me that they are not happy with you playing in more than one band - i'd let them know politely but firmly exactly what i thought of their passive-aggressive schtick

turns out that they put 6 new songs in the set and she doesnt think i have the time to learn them before the 7th july (yes you smell exactly what i smell) so we've come to a compromise that the dep player is only doing the gig that she claims he was requested for and i've made my feelings very clear to her about it so hopefully it wont happen again

i don't wanna cut my nose off to spite my face i can afford to lose one gig (at pub money) if it means i get 3 others from it whereas if i insist on doing it i'll probs end up with no gigs

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1339440974' post='1688571']
That's bands for ya mate, carry on with them 'til you sort something else out
[/quote]

i've got a few on the go so if things get a bit hectic i know who i'm prioritizing

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1339439613' post='1688547']
...it's a female singer and i think she's trying to make it seem nicer...
[/quote]

Aiee! Run away! Run away! :D

Actually, what keeptrying said. :) Good luck.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1339439366' post='1688538']
hi guys sorry to start one of these threads again but i'm not sure how to take this really just had this message from the lead singer from one of the function bands i'm in

just a bit of back story i depped out the last gig to a friend of mine because it was the jublee weekend and i had gigs previously booked and then this landed in my inbox today

[size=3][color=#333333]hey regarding the band we haven't heard from you at all about rehearsals or gigs etc.. I'm worried about your availability for our band this summer and the rest of the year because we really want to get this moving. How do you feel about it? There will be no hard feelings if you feel you can't manage it.[/color]
[color=#333333][b]There a few gigs coming up but it was from the street party and we have been requested specifically so will use (the dep bass player) for them[/b]. Hope you are good.. let me know whats happening Xxx[/color][/size]

[left]now am i being unreasonable if i kick up a fuss about this as IME all the gigs that the band get come to me and then i dep them out if i need to surely they don't just start calling the dep for all the gigs booked off the back of a gig i couldn't make because it was a last minute gig and i had something else booked?[/left]

[left][size=4][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]also to compound the problem the keyboard player has been kicked out of the band and replaced with the singers brother without so much as a word to me about it [/font][/color][/size][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]feeling slightly out of the loop at the moment any advice? [/font][/color][/size][/left]

[/quote]

what does your friend (dep) think?
If it were me in his shoes, I'd feel very wary of "stealing" your gig and I'd not simply accept the gigs unless you specifically asked for a dep.

hmmm.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1339441885' post='1688599']
what does your friend (dep) think?
If it were me in his shoes, I'd feel very wary of "stealing" your gig and I'd not simply accept the gigs unless you specifically asked for a dep.

hmmm.
[/quote]

yeh unfortunately i know he's on a gig tonight so i can't really call him and speak to him about it but we're gonna sit down over a beer or two n have a chat at some point

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1339443439' post='1688635']
MB1. B)
Heres how i read it...
"We really want to get this moving!"
with a permanent reliable line up.....No Johnny Depps! :unsure:
[/quote]

IME i can't just commit to one band i wouldn't be able to pay my bills so occasionally things clash i realize that other people have different opinions and situations and but for me at the moment using deps is the better option rather than having the band cancel the gig because the other function bands i play with are more organised and book me weeks if not months in advance. Just to be clear this isn't an originals band doing their own stuff (if that was the case i would understand) its just a pub covers band who play the odd wedding and private party but its an extra £50-£60 in my pocket. its a band of people in the same situation supposedly professional musicians who all have their own stuff going on everyone's in a few bands and I've never encountered a problem using deps in this band or bands like this before. again all due respect to you MB1 but i don't use people to dep for me unless i know them very well and i'm 100% confident that they will do the job as well as i could so i think the no deps thing is a bit of a non factor

You both want your cake and to eat it.

You want control over the gigs you do... and that is reasonable enough, but they want someone reliable from their POV.
How they think a dep is going to be that...unless they have tapped him, I am not sure. could be out of the frying pan, into the fire in that regard, but you would know his work pattern betther than us.
Deps don't steal gigs and neither do mates, so I don't know what might be going on there....

The band want to be able to do the gigs they want to... and get in players they want to, so it does seem that the power of the band has shifted and may have, even more so, if a relative has been brought in.
That last point would have been a warning sign...when people make replacement decisions off their own bat, that is NOT a band.

Regarding deps...?? if you can't make certain gigs, then sooner or later , they are going to clash BIG time and they may be trying to avoid that situation, understandably.

I would interpret all this as time for a meeting face to face and to discuss or reaffirm acceptable boundries.. ...

6 or one, half a dozen of the other the way I see it..on the bassis of what is written here.

I would also have a chat with your 'mate'... I am not sure how far they can go down their route without your 'mate' being onboard...??

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1339483113' post='1688960']
Looks like I'll have to look forward to this crap if I join a band in the future :-( And I thought it was just get discovered and make a mint :-(
[/quote]

that all depends whether or not you end up in a band run by the sort of people who when they were kids used the old 'its my ball and i get to choose whos on my team' schtick <_<

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1339443439' post='1688635']
MB1. B)
Heres how i read it...
"We really want to get this moving!"
with a permanent reliable line up.....No Johnny Depps! :unsure:
[/quote]

I think this too. I'm sure the OP is not an unreliable person but more than once I have seen second best musicians taken on because they can commit and the better couldn't - because they were good and in too much demand!

Its up to you how you prioritise between your bands but those down the list need to know they are down the list and can decide accordingly. You may find they prefer someone they can depend upon and it sounds like they prefer the availability of your dep.

Perhaps if your other projects are more attractive you can swap duties with your dep or, if you find your other projects are less attractive, bring this band to the top of your priorities and let them know.

While you may feel like you're fulfilling your responsibilities by providing suitable deps, for the other band members playing with deps will be a frustrating interlude to progress.