Why become a member? ×

Why bother going to the store?

Musicman20

Yes, I know, to test it out.

BUT, what if the store is around £70-80 worth of petrol and a hotel away?

There are a few basses Im interested in. If I go try them, I have to spend a fair bit.

If I don't, they come delivered, for the SAME price, and if there is a fault (eg poor workmanship which I believe to be a fault) then you have the right to cancel the order and have it picked up.

Plus, if you buy it instore, then get home and realise you aren't happy, you don't have the returns policy (and if you do, its never as strong).

Which brings me to the question, why bother going to try it, when it ends up costing the customer a lot more?!

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1339187544' post='1685234']
I understand that some people actually enjoy shopping.

Plus, I think the average person isn't spending 80 quid to get there and staying in a hotel afterwards. Maybe a daysaver on the metro and a pint.
[/quote]

I enjoy shopping! No doubt about that. But, when, for example, the bass is in London, and you are in Scotland, then things are different.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1339187689' post='1685235']
Being picked up is Dependant on the retailer. You might get stung by that one.

The EU were trying to make it so the retailer had to pay but there were loads against it as it could effectively put smaller businesses out of business.
[/quote]

Yes, understood there. But, if it is deemed faulty then ultimately, legally, it has to be picked up. Obviously faulty is different for different people. For a £1500 bass thought, it should turn up perfect.

Just discussing, thats all. :)

I doubt i'll actually order online after previous problems. Ill probably just order one locally and wait for it.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1339187030' post='1685223']
If I don't, they come delivered, for the SAME price, and if there is a fault (eg poor workmanship which I believe to be a fault) then you have the right to cancel the order and have it picked up.
[/quote]

it's even better than that. The Distance Selling Regulations allows you to return mail-order goods [u]for any reason[/u] even if the item is in perfect working condition. The rationale behind this is that if you visit a store you get the chance to closely examine the goods and make an informed decision if its really what you want. With mail-order/online shopping this is clearly not possible, hence the DSR rights.

There is a hell of a lot of consumer protection legislation in the UK. Frankly, buying online using a credit card is about the safest way of buying anything these days.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1339188089' post='1685243']
it's even better than that. The Distance Selling Regulations allows you to return mail-order goods [u]for any reason[/u] even if the item is in perfect working condition. The rationale behind this is that if you visit a store you get the chance to closely examine the goods and make an informed decision if its really what you want. With mail-order/online shopping this is clearly not possible, hence the DSR rights.

There is a hell of a lot of consumer protection legislation in the UK. Frankly, buying online using a credit card is about the safest way of buying anything these days.
[/quote]

+1, and whether retailers like it or not, the Regulations are there to be adhered to.

Its a risk for the buyer, so if it does work out, both parties are happy. If not, then the buyer doesn't lose out, which is fair.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1339188638' post='1685254']
If its genuinely faulty but then if you get a neck pocket you're not happy with but is within Manufacturers tolerances. You'll have a fight maybe. Not that anyone in here would be fussy over neck pockets :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

could argue that for a lot less you can geta local luthier to craft up a neck that is made for that body so it fits perfectly. Not just crack a standard neck out and hope that it matches the body A-OK.

I think as much as anything and not to side on some of these often smug c*nts but . . . . Jobs?

The thing about stores I don't like, especially Dawson's Music, is that they bump the prices up so much, it's hardly worth purchasing anything and I think even setups are to a poor standard for what I've paid and what I've experienced.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1339187030' post='1685223']
Plus, if you buy it instore, then get home and realise you aren't happy, you don't have the returns policy (and if you do, its never as strong).
[/quote]
I know it goes off subject a bit but I found out after taking up a mobile contract at CRAPhone Warehouse and having loads of problems (5 replacements in 4 months all in all) I only have 28 days of returns ect ect where as if I purchased a mobile and "plan" I'd have 6 months of returns or practical insurance, at the end of the first 5 months if I didn't like the phone I could get refunded?!?!?!
Suppose what im saying . . . You would think either way, online or in store, being a customer should give you all rights.

Pardon me, ramble over ^_^

If you don't go to the store (or just go to look and try and then buy on-line) then eventually the store won't be there or will go to selling stuff that people will buy in store (like ukes). Not a problem so long as you actually know exactly what you want to buy but what if you don't? If you actually want to compare some basses where will you go?

Likewise if the online selling regs get the p**s taken out of them then that outlet will start to dry up (or if you get a reputation they'll refuse to deal with you).

A point to remember is that when you place the order for your super bass, the online shop may not actually have it in stock. They'll take your money and use that to buy it and ship it to you on receipt, they have no money tied up which is why they can offer you the discount which the physical shop can't, it's also why what arrives may not be perfect because they will just ship what they get.

How do I know this? I used to sell kites (big ones with price tags in the hundreds), I got fed up with demoing kites which then got bought online that I stopped selling them, so did almost every other kite shop in the UK. There is now less than a quarter of the shops there were a dozen years ago and all the smaller manufacturers have gone, it's Far Eastor nowt pretty well these days. Hate for that to happen in basses.

Steve

Still have to shop around online.
I decided on a line 6 combo from thomann and got a great deal and love it. http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_lowdown_ld400_pro.htm?sid=92a1afb267da41d72b0b7567a61d6a45 (price is delivered)
If I'd gone here though, http://www.rattleanddrum.com/product/7815/line-6-lowdown-400-pro-210-bass-combo I wouldn't have considered it.

Andy

First off the average Basschatter (and certainly the ones who post a lot) are not standard music shop customers. Our tastes have become too refined for what the typical music shop is willing and able to stock.

Secondly the internet has opened up so many more possibilities when it comes to instruments, amplification, strings etc. We are no longer restricted to what is available locally if we don't want to be.

Back in the 70s when I started playing, if it wasn't in one of the easily reached local musical instrument shops then it might as well not exist. If you wanted to try something different you went to the store in the next town. However there was always something interesting popping up second hand in your local store. If you spent some time and money in your local store it would be possible sometimes for them to get you stuff they wouldn't normally carry. But most of the time you made do with what was easily available. In many ways ignorance was bliss.

However over the last 15 years that's all changed. The internet has opened up our eyes to the massive range of instruments, amplification and parts & Accessories available around the world. And it's all available to buy so long as we're prepared to pay the shipping and customs charges and don't mind that all we know of the product is a list of specifications and few JPEG'd images.

And guess what? The local musical instrument shop can't match that variety. In the past they could afford to stock less common makes because they had a captive local market. Nowadays all they can afford to stock is stuff they know will sell. Even the few shops that are dealers for the esoteric makes will tend to only stock the more conservative models in the range and rarely means basses (Reverend, Hagstrom, Di-Pinto dealers I'm looking at you).

Special order is barely financially viable even if the item is technically available through one of the distributors that the shop deals with. By the time they've made the phone calls, done the paper work, the mark up (unless it's a very expensive item) won't have covered the pay for the employees time spent. Little wonder that your musical instrument store isn't interested in getting in your favourite strings or picks if it doesn't already sell them.

As customers we either don't care and continue to make do with what we can buy in store, or we adapt and buy what we want on-line where the only restrictions are shipping and related costs when buying abroad.

I like what I like..and am way too picky so have to see the thing and like it so this makes
blind sales a bad idea. There aren't many things I'd take for granted with a few pics.

I might like the way something looks but if it sounds or plays wrong then nothing is going to save that.
By the same token if it looks awful, I can't even get interested in the first place.
So it is the all round experience for me and that means that I have to do quite a lot of groundwork.
Travelling £30 to gtet what you wnat isn't aproblem, if I want it enough... but I would still reserve
the right..in my mind..to say it wasn't what I thought it was..

The only blind sale I've done these last few years was for a Sei bass... which has turned out to
be my favourite bass... so that was lucky..but then again, I know the quality of the work MP does
and the price was very realistic so the punt..if you can call it that..was pretty risk free.

I don't think a day and 300 miles to find what you really want is wrong but you need to do all you can do to make sure
it isn't wasted.

It`s a tricky one. My local music shop has some nice guitars, and a few basses, but, they are in general over £100 more than if purchased on-line. I know ultimately the best choice is the one that feels best in your hands, and having tried 3 Gibson Les Pauls at the same time, same model, and only liking one, this can be a wise thing to do (strangely never had a problem with basses, only guitars in this area), but if you don`t have the extra cash, on-line is where your money will go - especially with Distance Selling Regulations, in case you don`t get on with the item received.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1339232487' post='1685560']
I like what I like..and am way too picky so have to see the thing and like it so this makes
blind sales a bad idea.
[/quote]

But the point about DSR is that online sales are not blind sales. You get the chance to try the item in your own home and if - [u]for [b]any[/b] reason[/u] - you don't like it then you can send it back for a full refund.

Surely it's better to play a new bass, with your own amps/cabs, for a few days than travelling miles to a shop and only getting to play with a new bass for a couple of hours?

Personally I don't like the pressure you can get in stores to rush through trying it.

When it's an instrument over £500, especially ones hitting the £1500+ region, it takes time to make sure it's right.

What happens if you travel and you dislike it? You've lost the petrol and the time. If its fairly local, no issue, but for example, if I went to the Bass Gallery, it's a very expensive journey.

Just thinking out loud :)

With such vastly varying QC/setup quality on most basses it's worth trying them out before buying. Even if you tried out a bass in a shop and then ordered it online you could end up with something that played completely differently. It's tough, regardless of whether you buy online or in a shop, to shop for that one special bass you've always wanted.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1339240755' post='1685729']
But the point about DSR is that online sales are not blind sales. You get the chance to try the item in your own home and if - [u]for [b]any[/b] reason[/u] - you don't like it then you can send it back for a full refund.

Surely it's better to play a new bass, with your own amps/cabs, for a few days than travelling miles to a shop and only getting to play with a new bass for a couple of hours?
[/quote]

yes, you do..but that is assuming the kit qualifies in the first place which I am not sure you can even get to a buying position from many pics.
I can go through a whole rack and pretty much at a glance would discount most.... that is just the way it is for me.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1339241769' post='1685749']
Personally I don't like the pressure you can get in stores to rush through trying it.

When it's an instrument over £500, especially ones hitting the £1500+ region, it takes time to make sure it's right.

What happens if you travel and you dislike it? You've lost the petrol and the time. If its fairly local, no issue, but for example, if I went to the Bass Gallery, it's a very expensive journey.

Just thinking out loud :)
[/quote]

agree..it is lost money...but still a necessity for me.

I understand that DSR and internet shopping is big and will get bigger, but at some point do we really want warehouses in the countryside and boarded up high streets ?
I am sure what comes around goes around , but if you don't use it you lose it ...
please leave any other meta 4's and similies here before i get sick of my own !!

I got a coach from Newcastle to London then a car journey to High Wycombe to try out a bass.
It was going to be very special bass to me. There were no Wal basses in any stores in the North East,let alone a left handed fretless (unhear of!) but I had to try one as it was a lot of money I had save for the longest and hardest time.
Wal himself picked me up. They had put together a makeshift left handed fretless for me to try.Made me feel so welcome, made me a cup of coffee, dropped me back in London centre.

It was a very long journey, but it was indeed a very special day and wouldn't have missed it for the world.

[i]If you want an off-the-shelf bass, most places will take it back if you don't like.[/i]
[i]But sometimes, trying out away from the comfort of your sitting room can be part of a magical experience...[/i]