Why become a member? ×

Antigroove

EBS_freak

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1339152294' post='1684378']
He's not bad to be fair, nice Bass too.
[/quote]

I was disappointed that it was no worse than mediocre, to be honest, having approached it with the sort of delicious fear one feels when going to see a splatter movie with a fierce reputation.

You guys have had very sheltered lives if you haven't heard much worse than that!

I think the thread has gone slightly sidewise... yes, there are worse singers out there, bands which are less tight and so on - my point was just the abnoxious slap bass playing that is completely inappropriate for the tune.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1339153818' post='1684420']
You guys have had very sheltered lives if you haven't heard much worse than that!
[/quote]

I agree BUT that was because I didn't know the song (so shoot me). So I AB'd a couple of times and the general consensus is absolutely correct: a generously proportioned homicide has taken place.

It's certainly not just the bass player's fault though - the bassline seems to be completely arranged around the fact that it's a good deal faster that the original. A w**kfest from all parties who probably thought "let's ROCK IT UP!!" A phrase which I am beginning to really detest...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1339154168' post='1684430']
I think the thread has gone slightly sidewise... yes, there are worse singers out there, bands which are less tight and so on - my point was just the abnoxious slap bass playing that is completely inappropriate for the tune.
[/quote]

Yeah, just listened to the performance in the original post and it's horrid. I hate that genre anyway though, spent most of the 80s trying to avoid it. For a while you weren't a 'real' bass player if you didn't play like that.

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1339154457' post='1684441']
..."let's ROCK IT UP!!" A phrase which I am beginning to really detest...
[/quote]

Me too, and those who use it are inevitably incapable of 'rocking', whether 'up' or in any other direction. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1339154955' post='1684464']
Me too, and those who use it are inevitably incapable of 'rocking', whether 'up' or in any other direction. :D
[/quote]

Similarly, when you hear someone say 'let's do a ska version of...'

...you know they don't know ska from catarrh.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1339155693' post='1684484']
Maybe they thought, let's FUNK IT UP!! and couldn't spell FUNK?
[/quote]

Either way, they've FCUKED IT UP!! As you can see, I can't spell FCUK. :huh: :D

Edited by discreet

For a laugh, I watched a few more videos....
Of note was lady marmalade....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oOeyCoVtbE&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oOeyCoVtbE&feature=relmfu[/url]
Hes playing with a punchy attacking sound and isn't bringing the main bass riff through on that....

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1339100500' post='1683788']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-0vvoBoF5A&feature=related[/media]

Oh my God. How can you kill this song's groove to this extent? Bass player needs shooting. And the singer needs to stick to the melody. Just as well it fades right?
[/quote]

Peter Kay's not bad on the sax though.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1339156192' post='1684499']
For a laugh, I watched a few more videos....
Of note was lady marmalade....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oOeyCoVtbE&feature=relmfu[/media]
Hes playing with a punchy attacking sound and isn't bringing the main bass riff through on that....
[/quote]

It needs something playing 16ths whether it's the hi hat or maracas or wee shakey egg or something to bring the rhythm together. Try it at home folks and all of a sudden they sound almost...er.... not crap.

edit : it would also help if the brass section was in tune.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1339104527' post='1683901']
I forced myself to watch 1:32 of it - imagine if you'd been in the audience and paid to be subjected to this...
[/quote] oh it got worse
[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1339142173' post='1684161']
Typical case of 'run before you can walk' musicality... Singer trying to be fancy without having the technique to back it up (therefore fails with her timing and intonation) and same can be said of most of the players.

Bassist has obviously only just (half) learnt a single basic slap technique and has tried to implement it in a song that doesn't need it, to the detriment of the ensemble, the original groove, his own timing and any form of taste.

I bet he also calls himself a 'semi-professional' or 'professional' musician because he gets paid. Muppet.
[/quote]
thing is I think if we saw videos of a fair few of us lot they would be similarly bad. I'm basing that on the amount of bad slap I see generally.

the "what's going on" was even worse.... but it looks like an expensive bass and the tone is the kinda tone that would get people raving about soloed on here or talk bass... just in the band it fails.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1339164088' post='1684690']
It needs something playing 16ths whether it's the hi hat or maracas or wee shakey egg or something to bring the rhythm together. Try it at home folks and all of a sudden they sound almost...er.... not crap.

edit : it would also help if the brass section was in tune.
[/quote]

Need more cowbell :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0uvVZg4Tw4

Blonde singer has been taking dancing tip from tank top boy with rainbow stripe across it... (behind Bowie - first sighted at 1:03... but watch how he really gets into it as the song progresses...)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v342TST9tFw[/media]

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1339163966' post='1684688']
Any band with 'groove' or 'funk' in its name is generally destined to fail.
[/quote]you maybe have never heard of groove collective or the funk brothers then... ive only skimmed this thread.. but ive pretty much seen enough...

shame on you guys.. its ok to have a laugh about someones lack of talent, but three pages of negativity is just nonsense imo..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1339224708' post='1685465']
you maybe have never heard of groove collective or the funk brothers then... ive only skimmed this thread.. but ive pretty much seen enough...[/quote]

I have, hence the inclusion of the word 'generally'.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1339224708' post='1685465']
shame on you guys.. its ok to have a laugh about someones lack of talent, but three pages of negativity is just nonsense imo..
[/quote]

So if it's OK to have a laugh about someone's lack of talent, how many pages should we limit it to?