Why become a member? ×

Antigroove

EBS_freak

I think this lot are good for another three or four pages, easy. I managed about half a minute of each one, and apart from the arse-clenching awfulness, the main thing I've come away with is 'Blimey, they've got some money...'

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1339228132' post='1685494']
I have, hence the inclusion of the word 'generally'.

So if it's OK to have a laugh about someone's lack of talent, how many pages should we limit it to?
[/quote]ok... what i should have said is, its not ok to poke fun at other's lack of talent.. your nit picking of my post is immature for such a well respected bass player /BC member

You[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1339230665' post='1685528']
ok... what i should have said is, its not ok to poke fun at other's lack of talent.. your nit picking of my post is immature for such a well respected bass player /BC member
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment, but it was hardly a nit-pick...?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1339224708' post='1685465']
...its ok to have a laugh about someones lack of talent, but three pages of negativity is just nonsense imo..
[/quote]

Tru, dat. :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1339229675' post='1685508']
I think this lot are good for another three or four pages, easy.[/quote]

Tru, dat. :D

I don't think they would give two shlts what we think about them. They're obviously making more gig money than some of us who are merely 'talented'. The 8-piece corporate function band I've just left (through frustration and exasperation) regularly went out at five grand a pop. We'd pay ourselves two hundred quid each and the rest went into the band's grossly swollen coffers. And we weren't a million times better than this bunch, frankly. Apart from the bass player, who of course was manly, talented and handsome. :D

Edited by discreet

Bubs has got a point. At least this lot are gigging and the bass player may well be a member of our community. We could start a million threads about bands on YouTube. I am guessing it was originally posted because the initial post features a spectacular murder of a classic bassline? I have an opinion about this band which i will keep to myself. The guys bass looks quite tasty actually.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1339164088' post='1684690']
It needs something playing [b]16ths [/b]whether it's the hi hat or maracas or wee shakey egg or something to bring the rhythm together.
[/quote]

That's the problem with the OP video.
That type of groove is just not about 16th's, it's about 16th's that swing.
The whole band have trouble with that - they are more square than square [or their version of that tune is]
Or possibly it's just their [to fast] take on it.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1339243438' post='1685777']
...the bass player may well be a member of our community...
[/quote]

If it [i]is [/i]the case, I'll just have to hold my hands up and apologise profusely from the grovelling position! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1339264070' post='1686122']
If it [i]is [/i]the case, I'll just have to hold my hands up and apologise profusely from the grovelling position! :D
[/quote]
"ooh the grovelling position" in a Charles Hawtrey style voice

I would say many of the Corp/Wedding jobs I do come from someone having seen us at a previous event. Sometimes re-bookings for the same event next year.

Most of the general public would find what he's doing impressive. Maybe not so much the lead vocal.
As someone said, they are out there gigging! Good luck to them.

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1339291844' post='1686573']
I would say many of the Corp/Wedding jobs I do come from someone having seen us at a previous event. Sometimes re-bookings for the same event next year.
[/quote]

I found this to be the case, too.

They are absolutely dreadful. The singer is by far the worst element though, she has nowhere to hide in the intro of the first song so you can really hear just how bad she is. The bassist seems pretty tragic though, he is either overplaying or getting it completely wrong.

Mind you, rubbish bands like this play up and down the country on a daily basis. This lot have obviously done alright for themselves, they've got their show filmed and have more people on stage than in the audience (including those two hopeless backing singers). Mind you, I've seen some bands that make these guys look amazing. I recall one particularly poor band, 'Dexter and the Revelations', they were so bad they could make a glass eye cry.

(drunkposting! But! I'm a Finn, we're at our best drunk!)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1339255720' post='1685981']
That type of groove is just not about 16th's, it's about 16th's that swing.
[/quote]

Yeah I don't get it, why don't people f***ing swing those notes?!! Seriously, at some gigs I meet these guys who have technique and EARS to play any gig in Finland, but my Volvo V70 swings harder than them. (though to be completely honest, it does swing quite a bit compared to what the wife drives, she's a demon into rear-wheel driven German cars :D )

It's not like playing a great groove is the hardest thing on Earth is it? Just f***ing play it.

Edited by nobody's prefect

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1339550583' post='1690512']
...drunkposting! But! I'm a Finn, we're at our best drunk![/quote]

Having been married to an alcoholic Finn for nine years in the 1980s, I must disagree with that statement.
Though I do broadly agree with the rest of your post. :D

Edited by discreet