Why become a member? ×

New Rush CD

ead

Reminds me that I haven't listened to it for a few weeks. WOT pretty much sums up my feelings about it. Given the ticket prices, on the strength of the album I'll probably be missing the tour next year. Don't think S&A was their worst album by a long way, I'd personally rate TFE as poorer than S&A for a start but each to their own.

I think this album is a triumph. At the time of writing, highlights are the hook in "Caravan" ("I can't stop thinking big, I can't stop thinking BI-IG!") and the cross rhythm on the drums during the guitar solo on "Clockwork Angels".

Trying to resist buying a ticket for the next tour, but I think this is a battle I'm fated to lose. A design I'm doomed to choose.

...I'm even writing posts in the style of Rush lyrics now :-)

Jennifer

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1344940052' post='1771305']
Given the ticket prices, on the strength of the album I'll probably be missing the tour next year.
[/quote]

I'm the opposite - I've booked my first ever Rush ticket [b][i]on[/i][/b] the strength of the album!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1344959850' post='1771656']
I'm the opposite - I've booked my first ever Rush ticket [b][i]on[/i][/b] the strength of the album!
[/quote]

Hope you have a good 'un, nothing quite like seeing a band for the first time promoting an album you really like, best gigs ever! I might be having one of those experiences myself later this year with a band I'd never have expected - Europe!

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1344961862' post='1771694']
I hadn't seen the updates from the last couple of days but I was listening CA on the way home from work. Yes it's brilliant compared to their last few offerings but it's not grabbing me in the way Map of the Past does. MOTP is my favourite album of this year so far.
[/quote]
I just previewed MOTP, thanks, I will buy, sounds excellent. It's taken a very long time for me to accept an It BItes without Dunnery, he was the soul of that band and I'm a huge fan, but I agree, MOTP sounds transcendent, cheers for that.

[b]silddx[/b] I just think there's loads of space and cool rhythmn work between Lee Pomeroy and Bob Dalton much like Dick Nolan used to do. Reminds me a lot of Once Around the World. Love Frank Dunnery and John Mitchell copes with his parts really well.

But back on topic: [b]spongebob[/b] It'll be a great gig you won't be disappointed.

I'm still dipping in occasionally and checking out a few tracks but it's still not grabbing me and of what I've listened to, there isn't really a melody I could hum or something that made me think 'cool'. Whereas if I was to put an OMD record on I'd be picking up on all these little amazing details contained in bigger, better songs.

It's a shame to say it, as Rush are without a doubt my favourite band of all time and I'm so glad to have seen them live twice but this record just isn't clicking with me. I must commend the fact it seems a bit more proggy than anything they've done since 1993, though.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1344963067' post='1771721']
[b]silddx[/b] I just think there's loads of space and cool rhythmn work between Lee Pomeroy and Bob Dalton much like Dick Nolan used to do. Reminds me a lot of Once Around the World. Love Frank Dunnery and John Mitchell copes with his parts really well.

But back on topic: [b]spongebob[/b] It'll be a great gig you won't be disappointed.
[/quote]
Facking great album! Thanks man :D

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1344962091' post='1771698']
MOTP is indeed a decent album. I did get the impresion there was tension in the band when I saw them at a gig just before MOTP was released so I'm not holding my breath that this lineup will record another one.
[/quote]

I think there were reasons outside the members of It Bites itself that might have led to a bit of tension around that time...they're touring again in December, including a show with Frost*.

Back on the Rush topic, I'm still enjoying Clockwork Angels - it's a really pleasant surprise for me and the best thing they've done for at least two decades. Just over two months until my next Rush show!

If IB are touring with Frost* does that mean that Jon Mitchell has to perform both sets at the same gig or have Frost* got a replacement for him? If they were playing anywhere near me in December I might have gone along as I quite liked Milliontown and would be nice to hear more from MOTP, they only did a couple from it at the last gig I saw them at with Mostly Autumn.

If you like MOTP, then The Tall Ships is a damned good album too - highly recommended.

If It Bites are touring with Frost (possibly with special guests Arena, Kino and Martin Orford?!) then that's a John Mitchell overdose that I could put up with! I'm also seeing It Bites in October as they are supporting Fish in Leamington Spa B)

Back on topic.... Still failing to click with Clockwork Angels... :( It's good, but, for Rush - a bit dull and uninspired. So far. More listening required! :D

[quote name='endorka' timestamp='1344941269' post='1771322']
I think this album is a triumph. At the time of writing, highlights are the hook in "Caravan" ("I can't stop thinking big, I can't stop thinking BI-IG!") ....
[/quote]

This is pretty much the only thing I found memorable about the album, that song in general was the high point of the album, a bit like Far Cry on the last album, nothing else comes close IMO.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1345799893' post='1781626']
Headlong Flight from about 3-50 in to about 5-20 is the best bit of music they have done in years, Can't believe that 3 sixty year olds can write stuff like that. I ring our PA out to that section and everyone always ask's who it is.
[/quote]

Out of interest, I don't have it to hand but is that the instrumental break where it's just bass, drums and guitar with no layered overdubs?

For my money its the best bit of Rush we've had In a long time. They sound like a band.

They should bin the layering for the next record, instead of hiding weak material under slabs of fatness.