Why become a member? ×

Being in more than one band...any advice?

stefBclef

Evening all,

I have only started playing in bands recently, and I am enjoying it a lot.

5 months ago I started playing with a band and, although I have a great time at practise every week, and we are starting to get gigs, I felt that there were a few things not quite right about the band and I decided to keep my ears open for other oppurtunitys so as not to be blinkered in my approach.

Now I have found myself another band. I like the new band and I still plan on keeping the old band to see where that goes.

As I was walking home last night I started thinking about possible clashes, i.e. practise clashes, or practise/gig clashes, or (the unlikely but extremely possible and ugly scenario of) gigs clashing.

To me, it is similar to, say, if I play in a band, and also sing in a choir, or play in a band and also compete and train in the art of tiddlywinks. However, I feel that this is probably quite a touchy area for some people and I thought I would see what experiences / opinions people have on this subject.

Is it a perfectly natural and indeed positive part or being a musician to look around and seek new oppurtunities?

Or is it a faux pas similar to creeping around in late night bars instead of snuggling up to your other half at home?

Does it work out well for you? OR has it been a recipe for disaster?

Thank you fellow basschatters

Stef

Works for a lot of people. I've tried it and it didnt work for me, soon got bored with the one doing the least gigs and it got to be a chore. But try it, its all experience.

I wouldnt do it on the quiet though, tell em both .,Theres too much room for misunderstandings if somebody found out some other way.

I play in two bands but everyone knows each other and we're all mates. I got involved with the second one after dep'ing for a gig after their bassist left. Things gelled pretty well and I'm still there.

Rehearsal clashes don't seem to be a problem. I just say when I'm available and the first band to agree a date has me in the diary and I tell the other band I'm no longer available on that day.

So far we've not had a clash of gigs, but the same would apply. First booking takes priority. It's not as if we're gigging every week so it seems to work OK.

When I say we've not had a clash of gig, there have been quite a few occasions when both bands have played the same gig - which makes the issue of gear sharing a lot easier. :D

I can imagine that hard-gigging bands might have a problem with someone playing in another band, particularly if it means you can't reliably commit to their needs. I guess all situations are unique, but being open and honest about things must surely be the right approach. An as ET says, first in the diary gets the booking - and don't ever renege on that.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1337624531' post='1663040']
First in the diary gets the booking.
[/quote]
THE number 1 rule and not to be bent or broken on any account (inc' regardless of fee offered) otherwise it's a slippery slope to nastiness and confusion.

[/quote]

Yep, totally!

I've always been in at least two bands and this is the golden rule. I also make it clear to bands that I will absolutely not be available to rehearse 2-3 times a week. I get the songs/tabs/guitar pro files sent to me and I practice at home! One practice every so often is great as you do need to make sure you're working with eachother and performing well and stuff... But paying out loads of money going over the same songs over and over again is pointless if you're all dedicated enough to do it at home

[/quote]

x1000 :) I juggled 3 at one point and it's simply not an issue if you are up front with your other bandmates. I also tried not to harp on about the other bands when I was with one band.

I play in just one band now as it's easier with my current circumstances but I'm certainly not anti the idea of multiple bands.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1337628780' post='1663185']
x1000 :) I juggled 3 at one point and it's simply not an issue if you are up front with your other bandmates. I also tried not to harp on about the other bands when I was with one band.

I play in just one band now as it's easier with my current circumstances but I'm certainly not anti the idea of multiple bands.
[/quote]

Same here, i found myself juggling 4 last year, was okay (except I was a bit too busy for my liking)
Then i missed out playing a really great festival with an originals band because of a pub gig that had been booked for a year with a covers band, that was when i thought I had to cut down. Only one band for me now.

Understand the first in diary sentiment, but......there are exceptions IMO...
But as long as YOU sort out the mess then you can change a booking in exceptional circumstances.

You could use an online calender for all to see who is available..but it needs to be keep bang upto date otherwise there is no point.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1337683995' post='1663836']
Same here, i found myself juggling 4 last year, was okay (except I was a bit too busy for my liking)
Then i missed out playing a really great festival with an originals band because of a pub gig that had been booked for a year with a covers band, that was when i thought I had to cut down. Only one band for me now.
[/quote]

Wow 4 bands at once does seem a bit much, unless you are working part time and getting cash from the bands. But a full time job plus 4 bands would leave you not much time to even eat your dinner every night!

How did you pick which one?!

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1337762023' post='1664929']
Wow 4 bands at once does seem a bit much, unless you are working part time and getting cash from the bands. But a full time job plus 4 bands would leave you not much time to even eat your dinner every night!

How did you pick which one?!
[/quote]

I left them all and went off with a new one, the only fair way really. ;)
And some of them almost never gigged, so it was easier than it sounds.

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1337627169' post='1663127']
Ok, so honesty and a well kept diary are the tools for this trade. [/quote]

Absolutely organisation is key i'm in a slighly different situation in that i'm a full time student however i still find time to work for 3 function bands, and 4 original artists plus doing deps for people as well. My policy is that if i for some reason can't make the gig then i'll provide a dep who can and is up to speed and [u]more than capable of doing the gig[/u] (that last part is key). would your bands be open to the idea of another local player you know well depping for you on a gig? Then everybody wins both bands play their gigs and your providing a gig for someone who wouldn't have otherwise had one

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337628503' post='1663176']
Yep, totally!

I've always been in at least two bands and this is the golden rule. I also make it clear to bands that I will absolutely not be available to rehearse 2-3 times a week. I get the songs/tabs/guitar pro files sent to me and I practice at home! One practice every so often is great as you do need to make sure you're working with eachother and performing well and stuff... But paying out loads of money going over the same songs over and over again is pointless if you're all dedicated enough to do it at home
[/quote]

Completely agree with the above, I am in two bands at the moment and don't get to all the rehearsals that they do. I do make (low quality) recordings of the songs when there and play along to those at home a lot - this has been a massive help. I also give priority to the band that has the nearest gig (time wise), which is going to get interesting as they are both playing the same one in the near future.

I'll second (or third) whats been said above. An honest chat up front might be unpleasant for five minutes but it gets everything out in the open. I play in 3 bands, one gigs every week, one every month the other every Preston Guild. The thing is, other band members in all bands have reasons why they cannot make a practice or do a gig on a particular day. Being in another band is just the same thing - its a commitment outside the band and that is all.

If they really don't like it, and want to replace you immediately, then its probably for the best that you leave anyway. in my experience bands like that are all about the photo shoots and demo's and playing in sweaty toilets to 25 friends once every three months - the ones with a more professional attitude, the ones that are organised, are the ones that succeed.

If one of the bands starts to take off and requires all of your commitment (i.e. a tour) for a period of time, then you will need to have a chat with all of them again - but there are plenty of deps around on here if you need some cover for a bit :)

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1337813356' post='1666035']
Absolutely organisation is key i'm in a slighly different situation in that i'm a full time student however i still find time to work for 3 function bands, and 4 original artists plus doing deps for people as well. My policy is that if i for some reason can't make the gig then i'll provide a dep who can and is up to speed and [u]more than capable of doing the gig[/u] (that last part is key). would your bands be open to the idea of another local player you know well depping for you on a gig? Then everybody wins both bands play their gigs and your providing a gig for someone who wouldn't have otherwise had one
[/quote]

Yes, providing a capable dep is an option for those clashes, and this forum would be a perfect place to look for one! Maybe one day in the future when both bands' calendars are getting nice and full!

[/quote]

+1

I`m in two bands, and of those bands, virtually all the members are in other bands too. Without working as above, it would be a nightmare. Luckily, we all seem to rehearse on different days, but, the first gig accepted and booked is the one I do, irrespective of whatever else is offered.