Why become a member? ×

Hello from a newbie in Wales

SpaceChick

Hi,

I'm Debs, and I have taken the plunge in getting myself a new beginner bass and amp.

I have played the guitar when I was younger, but have always wanted to play the bass.

So far I am finding the larger frets a "challenge" and am struggling with my dampening... but hey ho, I'll get there :P

Have seen a number of online courses, some free, some paid for. Any recommendations would be great. :D

I'm just looking at being able to play at home, my hubby is a hobby guitarist, so would be nice to play together :P

Hi Debs,

Welcome to BC!
I'm sure you'll like this friendly site.

Can't really help you with recommendations on online courses, as I'm a total noob myself (one without any substantial guitar experience at that), but I just went the cheap way, and bought some books off Amazon that came highly recommended in the Amazon reviews. Satisfied with that. YMMV and all that, of course.

Enjoy!
bert

Hi Debs and welcome.

I'm Deb, also from South Wales, just got my first bass/amp :D .

I've been going through lessons on this site [url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/"]http://scottsbasslessons.com/[/url] thanks to a recommendation via this forum.

It's very nice to have a local forum neighbour!

Deb

thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the link Deb :D

After speaking to a work colleague, I have taken the plunge and have booked a lesson with a local teacher that ONLY teaches bass. He said he's been teaching for 30 years and has never had a grown woman asking for lessons!!

I will probably only have a few lessons to get me started, but I am soooooo excited.

Deb as both of us are South Wales beginners (I'm only Neath, so down the road!) we will have to compare notes!

Edited by SpaceChick

Welcome, both Debs!
When I was a beginner, a few years ago, I took a couple of 3-month courses at Tech Music School, and had two excellent teachers who were both far younger than me. One of them was facing a female oldie (and a leftie one at that!) for the first time in his career, but still did a sterling job of teaching me. The student's enthusiasm matters a lot more than their age, so go for it!

Thanks Bluejay. I played double bass a long time ago so I have something of a start. Lessons are great though, personal feedback is always good and it's so easy to get into bad habits.

Great idea to enrol on a course, hadn't considered that - thanks for the heads up on that.

Deb - His name is Steve Lane and he is based in Morriston.

I have my first lesson on Sunday, so I'll let you know what I think. ;)

Kiwi - a meet up sounds great :D

Bluejay - i agree that a students attitude is more important than their age, and despite being in my late 30's I am a big kid at heart :P

Hi both Debs. I'm another old girl who has only been playing a short while. I've been having lessons for just over a year now. I was dead nervous at the first lesson, feeling very ancient and uncool. But my teacher put me at my ease straight away and has been an absolute inspiration. I hope you will enjoy bass playing as much as I do. And have fun on the forum :-)

Hi Seashell and thanks for your warm welcome.

You sound as if you've very much enjoyed your lessons and I'm sure I will too. I'm off work for a few weeks as I'm not very well so I've not booked anything as yet but I will do so very soon. At the moment I'm picking my way through a few songs I like and enjoying that. It was a very odd feeling when I first started to "play" (that really is the wrong word) my bass as I haven't felt that incompetent at anything for a very long time :D but it's getting better. I'm picking easy things and work on playing them well before I move onto anything thing else. I do find it odd to play standing up though :huh: .

Clearly this was a nice forum to find and no doubt I'll there'll be plenty of laughs along the way :)

Never to old
My good friend lost her partner to the big C a few years back. Took early retirement. Decided to take up guitar 3 years ago having never played a musical instrument in her life - switched to bass 2 years ago, now gigs regularly. So cool - so says my 11 year old (guitar and piano playing) daughter. :)

It's not very often i see Morriston on a post, Anywhere ! lol.. i know cos im from there, little ole world eh !

Welcome and stick at it, bass is a great instrument and a lifetime of creativity and learning (and far more interesting than their six stringed cousins imo shhhhh...)

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1337429927' post='1659783']
It's not very often i see Morriston on a post, Anywhere ! lol.. i know cos im from there, little ole world eh !

Welcome and stick at it, bass is a great instrument and a lifetime of creativity and learning (and far more interesting than their six stringed cousins imo shhhhh...)
[/quote]

Thanks again for your welcome. I was so surprised to see another Deb had joined, had started playing recently and was quite local to me. Even more unexpected to find another forum member hails from Morriston! I had a night out there a few months ago when myself and friend went to see a band playing in Woodfield Street, it was something of an experience but a great laugh.

Great to see other females, as well as all you cool gentlemen ;)

Well, I've lost my Saturday to the bass.... OH and I had our first proper jamming session (with an iPad drum kit too).... It was SOOOOO much fun and I held a basic bassline well :-)

Can't wait for my lesson tomorrow now!

I'm loving this forum so far :-)

Hello Hello Rhys and Peaty :) - thanks for saying Hi.

Nice update Debs. You've had a great day by the sound of it. Will be good to hear how it goes tomorrow! No complaints about being made to feel welcome since you've posted this thread on here. Nice crowd on here, thanks all.