Why become a member? ×

How not to align a neck.

Look at that G- String!
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/squier-precision-bass-/251062605556?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a747f56f4#ht_500wt_1202"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/squier-precision-bass-/251062605556?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a747f56f4#ht_500wt_1202[/url]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337189157' post='1656951']
Misaligned? It's in the next bleedin' county.
[/quote]
lol
On the plus side though, it is hand painted, the paint is "matte" and it doesn't show any brush marks :)
The poor lad's from Hartlepool.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337193751' post='1657031']
You don't like Fenders! We [i]get [/i]it! :P :)
[/quote]

Those late 70s P and J basses were my first close-up and personal experience with instruments from Fender. If the QC on the ones in my local musical instrument shop had been as good as the Aria Pro II and Ibanez basses they got in at the same time then maybe I'd have been kindly disposed towards them...

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1337204062' post='1657229']
Feel sorry for the person with the winning bid.

I looked at his other items for sale to see if he was flogging an unused bridge centering tool, but no
[/quote]

There's no way to tell the guy to withdraw his bid, is tnere ?

I wonder if I posted a question to the [s]buyer[/s] seller "that neck looks misaligned, can you tell me if you found it a problem ?" that he'd actually make the Q&A public ?

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1337427301' post='1659737']

I wonder if I posted a question to the buyer "that neck looks misaligned, can you tell me if you found it a problem ?" that he'd actually make the Q&A public ?
[/quote]
Done it when I spotted it mate, wasn't expecting a reply and didn't get one.
Didn't bother reporting it to eBay (been there before) they don't give a crap, they get their fees that's all they care about.

Edited by pst62

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1337427301' post='1659737']

I wonder if I posted a question to the [s]buyer[/s] seller "that neck looks misaligned, can you tell me if you found it a problem ?" that he'd actually make the Q&A public ?
[/quote]

There is guy selling a considerably more expensive bass on here at the moment with a similar G string/misalignment issue who, despite having the problem subtly touched upon (given the restraint of the forum rules) is apparently experiencing some denial of the problem... although he removed the pics, put them back up and has now added a pic from a different angle where it looks less of an issue.... conveniently cutting off the pickups so you can't see how the new angle misses the pole pieces. Unfortunately someone off here is probably going to buy it.... or if they don't someone off ebay will.
What can you do about it? Obviously we aren't allowed to say anything which will cause a member to lose out on a sale.

I've just had a little bit of sick come up looking at that!!!!!
Outshined - Is there no way we could get the moderators to remove the add of the so called "BC 'er"? surely any self respecting member on here would be totally transparent about selling/trading /buying......sounds like this guy has missed the point of this community totally. We'd be better off without him/her!!!!
Rant over!

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1337440383' post='1660062']
I've just had a little bit of sick come up looking at that!!!!!
Outshined - Is there no way we could get the moderators to remove the add of the so called "BC 'er"? surely any self respecting member on here would be totally transparent about selling/trading /buying......sounds like this guy has missed the point of this community totally. We'd be better off without him/her!!!!
Rant over!
[/quote]
I dunno, it's a tough one. Morally I feel obliged to do something about it... but forum protocol discourages interference with people's sale threads.
It would have been nice if the guy had just come out and disclosed the issue straight up ... it could be all that's needed is just a decent setup to rectify it... of course if the neck has a tight fit then more work will be needed to sort it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1337443287' post='1660127']
I dunno, it's a tough one. Morally I feel obliged to do something about it... but forum protocol discourages interference with people's sale threads.
It would have been nice if the guy had just come out and disclosed the issue straight up ... it could be all that's needed is just a decent setup to rectify it... of course if the neck has a tight fit then more work will be needed to sort it.
[/quote]

except if all it needed was a decent set up, I'm sure prior to selling it it could have got a decent set up....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337443871' post='1660144']
except if all it needed was a decent set up, I'm sure prior to selling it it could have got a decent set up....
[/quote]

yeah, it always makes me smile when someone tries to sell you something "oh, yeah, X does not work, but all it needs is this £2 part and you are sorted".
Well, how about you sort it first, since it's so easy, and then we talk? :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1337526791' post='1661382']
yeah, it always makes me smile when someone tries to sell you something "oh, yeah, X does not work, but all it needs is this £2 part and you are sorted".
Well, how about you sort it first, since it's so easy, and then we talk? :lol:
[/quote]
sometimes it's laziness though- and sometimes that gets you a great bargin :)

it's truss rod and neck issues that get me weary.
Oh the truss rod doesn't seem to move but maybe I haven't tried and anyway it's been perfect for me for the last year. Like how do I know how much relief you like in a neck, a neck like a banana and your super light strings and a potentially bust truss rod....

or neck alighnment- if it's not a major problem then of course the seller would just unscrew and screw four bolts....

I once passed on a great bass on here at a silly low price because the bridge saddles were set up right at the bottom, i.e. no break angle. Possibly it was fine but the seller couldn't understand I wasn't touching it with a barge pole unless he gave me some more detailed info on how on earth the thing was set up- my suspicion was the neck had a fair bow in it (prob not a problem) and to get action low the saddles had gone down... but try as I might all he kept saying was that the whole thing was fine and the neck was straight.....

any way :)