Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Intustry standard 6 string bass? what would you recomend?

petercullenbassist

[quote name='petercullenbassist' timestamp='1335272474' post='1628379']
....Was going to get a musicman bongo 6, but couldnt see where there money was going....
[/quote]

It didn't go to the design team!

I'm not sure there is an "industry standard" 6 string bass. For 5ers I'd say Sadowsky, Lakland, MM, Fender, but for 6ers I don't know.

Overwaters are excellent and used by a lot of UK session players.

Having only ever played one 6 string, and mighty crap I was on it too :) I've very little knowledge of them. However, I saw a guy playing a Yamaha TRB a few weeks back, through a Line6Pod straight to the PA and it sounded absolutely brilliant.

I got talking to that particular bass playing and he loved it.

A Yamaha TRB seems a popular choice. Mind you, you could argue [i]the[/i] industry standard 6 stringer is the Fodera Anthony Jackson bass, saying as it has been so key to developing the concept of the 6 string bass as a whole.

In America, I'd say the industry standard 6 string bass is without a doubt a Ken Smith 6 string. It was practically a prerequisite in the US Gospel scene for nearly two decades, until other luthiers like MTD came into fashion.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1335300125' post='1629067']
In America, I'd say the industry standard 6 string bass is without a doubt a Ken Smith 6 string. It was practically a prerequisite in the US Gospel scene for nearly two decades, until other luthiers like MTD came into fashion.
[/quote]

I think that's true, although I've seen a lot of TRBs popping up too, probably due to their affordability next to KS's. Here's a decent example, incredible player

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dwi52Ra0s&feature=relmfu[/media]

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1335300450' post='1629074']
TRB's are great, but I would have thought that the Pro's choice would be either a Ken Smith or Roscoe.
[/quote]

The pro's choice is whatever works I think, price shouldn't come into it. Abe Laboriel Sr. has been using TRBs for years and he's up there with the most recorded bass players in recent history.

Edited by risingson

My completely biased spin...

Had a Yamaha 6'er... Body a bit chunky for my liking, neck was thin, but not really 'fast'... Go figure. Was a Dream Theater spinnoff thingy. They likely differ. Tone was nice !.

Tried a Ibanez SRxxxx model a few times. Very nice weight/nect (fast !). Sound was a bit thin though... Maybe a good amp will sort it.

Warwick Thumb/Streamer 34" scale (I like !) low B is the best I've heard on a 5/6'er this scale.

Had a Peavey Cirrus 6 (US). Best 'standard' 6'er I've played. Decent tone, neckwise middle of the road (not too thin/thick). Looks like a million $... Really nice build quality ! :D.

A Warwick Thumb/Streamer or a Yamaha TRB would be my ideal choice of a 6 string at the moment, I think. The Streamers and Thumbs win the battle for me tonally but are much harder to find that TRB's, and I've always gotten on with TRB's.

Still, one of the best 6'er I've ever played was probably my Status Stealth bass, it was a real cracker.