Why become a member? ×

Fender 50's Precision Bass

pendingrequests

So I've had my eye on this for a while (the 2 colour sunburst as the choice) and want to take the Fenders £42 rebate offer before the 30th of June.

Does anyone own one/played one?

Thoughts, comments?

My jazz is my only real bass, I do have a fretless as a back-up, but this 50's precision would be the definite back-up.

Edited by pendingrequests

I've just got a black one, she's got an SPB-3 in so obviously the sound isn't original but everything else about it reeks of quality, the only question is how long will it take you to get used to arse backward tuners?! Mine is great! I've owned a 78 US and a Jap 70Ri and the 50s is my favourite.

Great basses. The neck is chunkier than a US Standard Precision, but it`s amazing how quickly you get used to it. Build quality is great, sound is amazing, and playability is fantastic. I`d recommend these to anyone.

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1335262621' post='1628077']
How would it compare to the neck on the US Jazz? less chunky, more?
[/quote]

Hiya, I'm a bit late to the party on this one but anyway.

I've got a Japanese Fender Precison 1957 reissue. It looks very similar to the photograph in your first post, right down to the gold scratch plate.
I also have a Japanese Fender Jazz 1962 reissue. The neck on the Precision is noticeably bulkier, both in width and depth.
So, if you haven't tried one of the Precsion necks yet I think it's a good idea to do so. Some people just don't seem to get on with the wider necks.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1335263106' post='1628094']
The neck on the Precision is noticeably bulkier, both in width and depth.
So, if you haven't tried one of the Precsion necks yet I think it's a good idea to do so. Some people just don't seem to get on with the wider necks.
[/quote]

Hmm, yeh I think i'll do that tomorrow and see how it works out. Thanks for the advice :)

Re the neck, I think it`s 44mm across the nut and is a bit more of a handfull than the standard P basses. It may be a bit of a shock going from a Jazz neck to one of these but if you can get used to it, there is no better traditional P bass for the money.

Or get a Mike Dirnt P bass, slightly smaller neck and fantastic tone and sustain. Almost as sexy looking as a 50`s as well.

Jez

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1335262621' post='1628077']
How would it compare to the neck on the US Jazz? less chunky, more?
[/quote]
[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1335269527' post='1628307']
Its a baseball bat compared to my 60s jazz
[/quote]

Yes, the neck is very wide, more so than a regular Precision. It`s 44mm at the nut, whereas a regular Precision is 41mm, and a 60s Jazz is 38mm.