Why become a member? ×

Later Live with Jools - on again

KiOgon

I never really know what to make of Weller's stuff these days. I used to class myself as a pretty big fan, have got all the Jam's albums, several Style Council and the majority of his solo albums. However, despite largely positive reviews I haven't bothered with either of his last 2 albums. Is it possible, no matter how much you fundamentally respect an artists, to have simply heard enough of them? Later kind of reinforced this, both tracks were Ok but neither really interested or suprised me and therefore enticed to buy the album.

[size=5][sub]Just got back from the casualty department...in an effort to improve my singing and get down wiv the kidz,I decided I would copy Willis Earl Beal and sing with a tooth pick in my mouth.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]Whilst getting to the Chorus of "Born under a bad sign", I managed to swallow said toothpick and started to choke.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]One 999 call later I had it removed and will stick to sucking fisherman's friends in future.....[/sub][/size]

[sup]Paul Buchanan was ok, pity the rest of the Blue Nile weren't there and I didn't mind The Maccabees, the rest was dross..who picks the bands to go on these shows..this should be the premier music show on tv and instead we're subjected to a woman in a panda mask dancing around..Shocking[/sup]

I only ever record the full version on Fridays. Looks like I'll be doing a fair bit of the old '30 second jump forward' bit on the old DVD HDD. I have the latest Weller album and only heard it through once but I thought it was actually quite listenable though I'm not a huge fan.

Every now and then something pops up on later which really gets me going, I mean seriously good IMO, but it's kinda like waiting for Brighton to score a goal, you have to watch a lot of stuff in between to get the high

I'll always trawl through it for the gem though

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1334764220' post='1620879']
[size=5][sub]Just got back from the casualty department...in an effort to improve my singing and get down wiv the kidz,I decided I would copy Willis Earl Beal and sing with a tooth pick in my mouth.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]Whilst getting to the Chorus of "Born under a bad sign", I managed to swallow said toothpick and started to choke.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]One 999 call later I had it removed and will stick to sucking fisherman's friends in future.....[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

OUCH!!! what a shame that didn't happen to WEB tho, would have made the show watchable

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1334766633' post='1620944']
please get better.
[/quote]

Well said.

I really want Jools to be a good show. Unfortunately the quality of the recent series has not been great. I think artist selection is a major stumbling block.

• 4 weeks later...

That's what I thought too, they sounded like rejects from BGT and I had no idea who they were until they came back on and came on Eileen. Hot Chip were crap too, like Napoleon Dynamite's brother backed by The Mighty Boosh.

Liked Dexy's ( though not as good as when I saw the original lineup DMR in the 70's), liked Rumer and Jimmy Webb, liked Oyster Band and the Josh guy. Ben Howard was OK and Hot CHip leave me...... well I'd rather have Hot Chips!

PS Liked Ren Harvieu last week too.

Discovered Ren Harvieu last week... Really liked it and that sort of thing makes me happy enough to keep watching, even though there are some bands which I really don't like.
We dream of a program like "Jools" around here since bands have no opportunity to show themselves, there is nothing...
I can understand your criticism but find yourselves lucky... national tv in Belgium banned live music or even playback on the air..

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1337117685' post='1655900']
Dexy's. Oh dear, oh dear like some very dodgy pub band.[/quote]

I thought it was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

I saw Tom Jones on here the other week, now that was good! The bluesy stuff, not the bit with Jools playing his trademark boogie piano all over the place.

One annoying habit Jools has is mis-pronouncing band's names.June Tabor is on this week with Oysterband,which he keeps pronouncing "Oyster banned" like some weird newspaper headline.It's one word, Jools,with the emphasis on the 'OYST'.Prat!

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1337437268' post='1659984']
One annoying habit Jools has is mis-pronouncing band's names.June Tabor is on this week with Oysterband,which he keeps pronouncing "Oyster banned" like some weird newspaper headline.It's one word, Jools,with the emphasis on the 'OYST'.Prat!
[/quote]

Radio, Head!
M'talli, Cah!