Why become a member? ×

It was all going so well

spinynorman

Last year we really started to get on a roll with regular gigs. This year the diary was filling up nicely and we've got people coming to us for gigs rather than having to chase them. But there's also been a whole series of personal issues in the band, which means we've only played two of the gigs that were booked, and now the singer wants time off because she's got problems with her voice. We're in real danger of pissing off most of the venues with cancellations.

No one's really comfortable with deps, and it was hard enough to find one singer, let alone a spare.

So it really feels like it's going to fall apart, just when it seemed to be going so well. Is that what happens?

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1334682956' post='1619738']
So it really feels like it's going to fall apart, just when it seemed to be going so well. Is that what happens?
[/quote]

Yes, every single f***ing time.
That's why I have no intention whatsoever of gigging again - the hassle/enjoyment ratio is always skewed predominantly in favour of the former in my experience.

Parallel to this, although I've slimmed down my own gear to a combo and a stand, the PA has grown, and the lighting, and I've picked up my share of that. So by the time we start playing I'm ready for a lie down. It has to be a really really good gig for me to get much of a buzz out of it. Add to that a total absence of GAS. I still look, but nothing stirs any interest.

Maybe I'm just too old for all this. Is approaching 60 time to switch to jazz?

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1334698008' post='1620067']
Parallel to this, although I've slimmed down my own gear to a combo and a stand, the PA has grown, and the lighting, and I've picked up my share of that. So by the time we start playing I'm ready for a lie down. It has to be a really really good gig for me to get much of a buzz out of it. Add to that a total absence of GAS. I still look, but nothing stirs any interest.

Maybe I'm just too old for all this. Is approaching 60 time to switch to jazz?
[/quote]

switch to jazz as soon as you can ;) but yeh, keeping a band afloat is an awful lot of effort.

It's a hell of an effort, what helps is putting the 'no deps' thing to one side. It makes things very difficult as you end up cancelling and any good working band will have deps. I have deps for everyone in my band and have had to use them for all but the singer. After all most function bands (assuming thats what you do) will share a fair majority of the set so learning new tracks tends to be minimal and quick and painless.

Hope you get sorted!

Dan

Why are bands always like this?

My current band is, at the moment, causing a bit of grief as I am the only one doing anything.

I don't mind, but I joined them - and since then, singer/guitarist does nothing except talk about it, and the drummers been out of circulation for ages. We've ended up with a 6-week gap between rehearsals. The singer/guitarist has funded an album (already a bit started when I joined, so a good plus point I thought) but when he finally gets it, hasn't got a clue what to do with it.

I've done the webpage, FB, started trawling for gigs, and the other 2? Nothing. And I'm pretty miffed by it TBH.

At least here on BC there's a lot of us in a similar position!!

ditto .... :gas: been there, I suppose its the lack of recognition I hate,you do everthing,and get to clear the gear as well ,whilest the singer guitarist have thier egos pampered,but thats a whole new thread, rant over....

Edited by merlin

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1334687153' post='1619838']
That's why I have no intention whatsoever of gigging again - the hassle/enjoyment ratio is always skewed predominantly in favour of the former in my experience.
[/quote]

Without any need for further qualification, most absolutely this.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1334762178' post='1620828']
It's a hell of an effort, what helps is putting the 'no deps' thing to one side. It makes things very difficult as you end up cancelling and any good working band will have deps. I have deps for everyone in my band and have had to use them for all but the singer. After all most function bands (assuming thats what you do) will share a fair majority of the set so learning new tracks tends to be minimal and quick and painless.

Hope you get sorted!

Dan
[/quote]

Thanks.

We're a pub band, with quite a wide range, so there will be some overlap, but some of the set could be difficult. Also the band's named after the singer, so it would be a bit odd turning up with someone else. She's a bit insecure as well, so don't know how she'd take it. If we were a function band and deps were part of it from the start it would have been easier.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1334687153' post='1619838']
[/quote]
[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1334782781' post='1621339']
Without any need for further qualification, most absolutely this.
[/quote]I, too, wish to subscribe to this newsletter. We've just passed the first anniversary of me getting totally depressed with the band situation and quitting the band I started, turning my back on five years worth of 200 mile drives for rehearsal, countless hours writing the songs, doing websites, artwork, facebooks, myspaces, getting gigs and all the other crap. For the first time in my life my default brain setting isn't "Must Gig" and I'm really enjoying [i]not[/i] being in a band. I was even sounded out a few weeks ago to see if I would be interested in restarting it... no thanks, just not interested anymore :)

We all tend to get precious over our projects. Deps is the way to go. You don't HAVE to play the complex tunes.

Put together a dep band with guitarist, call it something else.

My 6 piece band once got booked for a gig. I knew the sax player couldn't do it when I took the booking. But then the drummer, keys and singer all dropped out.

I found a dep singer who knew about 50% of our usual tunes. She emailled me a list of hers. The week before the guitarist came round my house and we put together some tunes from her list. The first time the guitarist, singer and drummer met was at the gig.

Usually the person booking you is ok if you explain the situation well enough in advance and offer them the opportunity to cancel and book someone else. Normally they happy as you've saved them the hassle.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1334788845' post='1621482']
Thanks.

We're a pub band, with quite a wide range, so there will be some overlap, but some of the set could be difficult. Also the band's named after the singer, so it would be a bit odd turning up with someone else. She's a bit insecure as well, so don't know how she'd take it. If we were a function band and deps were part of it from the start it would have been easier.
[/quote]
Don't forget if you have a dep in, the band is still the same. They're depping for the band and it isn't a new band. As for insecurities, just reassure reassure reassure. If the dep is good then theres nothing to worry about! I've always worked on the premise that if I didn't feel the person was up to it I wouldn't put them on stage.[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1334823651' post='1621720']
We all tend to get precious over our projects. Deps is the way to go. You don't HAVE to play the complex tunes.

Put together a dep band with guitarist, call it something else.

My 6 piece band once got booked for a gig. I knew the sax player couldn't do it when I took the booking. But then the drummer, keys and singer all dropped out.

I found a dep singer who knew about 50% of our usual tunes. She emailled me a list of hers. The week before the guitarist came round my house and we put together some tunes from her list. The first time the guitarist, singer and drummer met was at the gig.

Usually the person booking you is ok if you explain the situation well enough in advance and offer them the opportunity to cancel and book someone else. Normally they happy as you've saved them the hassle.
[/quote]

Yep! I love those kind of gigs, they wake you up a bit and keep you on your toes! When we had the last singer/guitarist in we played a very popular professionals night club in Newcastle, but when I turned up we had a different drummer who was more a blues drummer than an everything drummer. No this wasn't unusual but it suddenly dawned on me "what are we going to play?". We had the usual "what do you know?!" before each set and managed 2 hours of on your toes fun that night!

Dan

Edited by pietruszka

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1334819936' post='1621643']

I, too, wish to subscribe to this newsletter. We've just passed the first anniversary of me getting totally depressed with the band situation and quitting the band I started, turning my back on five years worth of 200 mile drives for rehearsal, countless hours writing the songs, doing websites, artwork, facebooks, myspaces, getting gigs and all the other crap. For the first time in my life my default brain setting isn't "Must Gig" and I'm really enjoying [i]not[/i] being in a band. I was even sounded out a few weeks ago to see if I would be interested in restarting it... no thanks, just not interested anymore :)
[/quote]

And here was me thinking of asking if you fancied the lead guitar spot in Castero before Richie came on board.

Back OT. Its a tough situation. IMO the only way to sort these things out is with open discussion.
Try to explain that by cancelling gigs the band is effectively going backwards. If a suitable dep can be found the gigs should go ahead for the good of the bands name. It will keep the band circulating and also show venue owners/booking agents that the band can function in a professional manner.

I know this situation oh too well, being a bass player is like being a mum! You do all the work, be the diplomatic one between egotistical guitarists and vocalists who argue constantly over who gets the spotlight like a brother and sister, find shows, book rehearsals, organise everything and 99% of the time it falls apart! My last band finally started to get somewhere with some decent press, tours, management and a label, and then instantly imploded.

My advice, as before, JAZZ! most reliable musicians i've ever met play jazz. Or, if you want to play rock, pick your band mates carefully, if you can find a reliable and non argumentative guitar player, stick with them and keep the core going.

3 of us work together beautifully. We have one guitard "not playing that song, not doing that gig, can't make it tonight".
He shied off again on Wednesday night, the three of us got together to work on a new number and it went very well, vocals shared, me keeping to just driving the new number.
We then decided to try Iron Maiden's Afraid To Shoot Strangers as a three piece and it really kicked :D . Am I Evil next methinks. I'm 54 and growing old gracefully until gig nights :P .
Don't lose all the work you have done. A lot of modern life is about managing change, so do just that.
You have all the skills and determination needed.
Good luck.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1334968411' post='1624312']
And here was me thinking of asking if you fancied the lead guitar spot in Castero before Richie came on board.
[/quote]Cheers, Mog, I appreciate it.

Funnily enough, the last time we played with ye, at the Siege, I had spent the previous evening trying to talk people out of a last-minute cancellation because they didn't fancy the drive to Limerick and that was the final straw. I made the decision to honour the last two gigs and then end it while on my way to the Stables, so was probably a little distracted when I was talking to you :)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1334988862' post='1624350']
We then decided to try Iron Maiden's Afraid To Shoot Strangers as a three piece and it really kicked :D .
[/quote]

It's all in the arrangements. If you can play a tune with acoustic guitar or a piani then everything else is just window dressing and the audience will still recognise the tune.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1334990315' post='1624362']
Cheers, Mog, I appreciate it.

Funnily enough, the last time we played with ye, at the Siege, I had spent the previous evening trying to talk people out of a last-minute cancellation because they didn't fancy the drive to Limerick and that was the final straw. I made the decision to honour the last two gigs and then end it while on my way to the Stables, so was probably a little distracted when I was talking to you :)
[/quote]

Between the hangover from the night before and the beer that day I don't remember much of anything......