Why become a member? ×

What is it about Rickenbackers?

BassBus

I can see the appeal. Rickies have a very distinctive tone, just as P and J basses, MM's...and so on. Not my bag at all. I think my basses are lush, but a few of my bass playing buddies can't stand playing them, so beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334650060' post='1618981']
I can see the appeal. Rickies have a very distinctive tone, just as P and J basses, MM's...and so on. Not my bag at all. I think my basses are lush, but a few of my bass playing buddies can't stand playing them, so beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.
[/quote]

And yet all of the above can be made to sound far less distinctive, although it's difficult to get away from the basic timbre of the instrument.

The second point is the real issue. All you can do is pick something you like. Stop worrying about whether or not you should like it and ignore what anyone else thinks.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334649682' post='1618975']
The other thing that strikes me from some of the comments you read regarding Rickenbackers is that what a lot of people who try them really want is a Ric-shaped P-Bass.
[/quote]

Bam.

My name is John Hall, and I'm a PC.

MB1. B)
Must admit ive always fancied one,i do like the look of them but have fallen at the last hurdle many times!
Bruce Foxtons explanation for why he stopped using them being the main factor for me not purchasing one really!
having tried a few i do get where hes coming from.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334643799' post='1618905']
Seems as good a time as any to re-post the below rant in response to a previous Ric-bash :rolleyes:
[/quote]
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334643799' post='1618905']
Seems as good a time as any to re-post the below rant in response to a previous Ric-bash :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Hey Beedster , did I write they were inexperienced , & naive ! read the post again , by the way it wasn a rant at all , I always wanted a Ric , it was written Some , as it can be said of most other instrument makers by the way , i didn t put Rics down , you might have misinterpreted it wrong , it s what I think

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1334666157' post='1619345']
Hey Beedster , did I write they were inexperienced , & naive ! read the post again , by the way it wasn a rant at all , I always wanted a Ric , it was written Some , as it can be said of most other instrument makers by the way , i didn t put Rics down , you might have misinterpreted it wrong , it s what I think
[/quote]

Dude, given i'm the second person on here to misinterpret the post in question causing you to come back in an attempt to defend it, what do you think? My post was intended as humour, poor quality humour yes, but humour all the same. Don't get too serious, it's a thread about bass guitars :D

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1334666157' post='1619345']
[/quote]

And i was calling my words a rant, not yours..........

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1334663085' post='1619265']
Stop worrying about whether or not you should like it and ignore what anyone else thinks.
[/quote]

This.

I've owned mine for about a year and whilst I've never completely loved it, I really don't understand why they get so much flak. Actually, maybe I just don't get why people who don't like them get so particularly worked up over not liking them.

It's common for a particular bass to have vocal fanboys, but why do Ricks have such vocal anti-fanboys? For instance, plenty of people don't like Warwicks - myself included - but threads about them don't regularly turn into a Warwick-bashing sesh.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334667843' post='1619385']
Dude, given i'm the second person on here to misinterpret the post in question causing you to come back in an attempt to defend it, what do you think? My post was intended as humour, poor quality humour yes, but humour all the same. Don't get too serious, it's a thread about bass guitars :D
[/quote]

Ok cool , it might be me now that misinterpreted it then ..lol

Hi,here,s my take on Rickenbacker 4003.
I got mine in 1999 which I still have and use.
I found the trick is to not recreate somebody elses sound but get one you like.
4003 ,s have a huge amount of mids which can sound muddy if your used to other basses.
A good amp/combo will reap dividends.They can overpower bad speakers and amps due to the high output of the pick ups.They can sound terrible with the pick ups to high but get them balanced and everything falls into place.
A bit of gain and some presence goes a long way.
The attack of the single coils takes a bit of getting used to and the usual single coil punishing you for bad technique.
I suppose they are like chilli,if you get the taste for it nothing else will do.

I didn't start this thread to bash Rics but I think I'm now beginning to see what it is people like about them. They are starting to sound like quite a personalized bass. You need to add in your own touches like choice of string, amp and speaker. It's maybe that business of overpowering the speaker that gives it a good sound.

Maybe it's the Fenders, Musicmans, and Warwicks of this world that need a bashing. Personally I don't get why everyone loves Fenders so much. I had a bass setup recently and the luthier wasn't half giving Fenders a bashing. Is it not better that a bass can be what you what it to be instead of just giving you what the designer/builder wants you to have?

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1334673728' post='1619504']

This.

I've owned mine for about a year and whilst I've never completely loved it, I really don't understand why they get so much flak. Actually, maybe I just don't get why people who don't like them get so particularly worked up over not liking them.

It's common for a particular bass to have vocal fanboys, but why do Ricks have such vocal anti-fanboys? For instance, plenty of people don't like Warwicks - myself included - but threads about them don't regularly turn into a Warwick-bashing sesh.
[/quote]

This irritates me whatever the instrument is, Ric or otherwise.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1334678124' post='1619623']
I didn't start this thread to bash Rics but I think I'm now beginning to see what it is people like about them. They are starting to sound like quite a personalized bass. You need to add in your own touches like choice of string, amp and speaker. It's maybe that business of overpowering the speaker that gives it a good sound.

Maybe it's the Fenders, Musicmans, and Warwicks of this world that need a bashing. Personally I don't get why everyone loves Fenders so much. I had a bass setup recently and the luthier wasn't half giving Fenders a bashing. Is it not better that a bass can be what you what it to be instead of just giving you what the designer/builder wants you to have?
[/quote]

Ah, but this is so subjective. Some people (including many world class players) simply have all their needs fulfilled by a Fender (or insert brand of your choice) in ways that other basses don't. You mentioned Status before; I've had four, and none of them gave me what I wanted. Not because there's anything wrong with them, but because I've required something else than what they give. They simply haven't suited me (so far; I live in hope).

FWIW, answering Mr Foxen's point, you [i]can[/i] get a custom built bass for similar money to a Ric, but what if what you ultimately want is a Ric? It's like saying you can buy a new BMW for the cost of an E-Type when you actually want an E-type. Have my Seis been better than my favourite Rics? They've been much better at being Seis, but much worse at being Rics. I don't really get why people worry about it all. If it doesn't work for you, move on.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1334680544' post='1619676']
I don't really get why people worry about it all. If it doesn't work for you, move on.
[/quote]

It is odd isn't it? I understand people's reactions to John Hall's / Rickenbacker's somewhat heavy handed tactics, but why people are so worried about me spending my money on a Ric rather than a Shuker is beyond me!

The take of _this_ noob:

More than 40 years ago, the Rick was the first bass I could recognize with some confidence. Chris Squire's sound, as well as his playing, made it very, very clear that later, when I grew up, I would not be willing to die before I had owned a Rick like that, and sounded like that.

That illness has lasted, and probably will last on some more. My fantastic Bongo doesn't change that, nor do the other basses I own or will buy.
I'm SO going to own and play a Rick, even if it means I must buy a highly specialized, expensive rig. I lurv it, and lurv it to death.

BTW, and noobly so, the Rick is still the only bass I can recognize with some confidence.

best,
bert

I love Rics, and they're my basses.

No Geddy's or Chris'....I love what I do with them. The whole product - look, feel, tones.....

Any other bass just feels wrong with me, and I've tried enough - but I always come home.

Then again, I'm an unapologetic Ric fan-boy! :(