Why become a member? ×

drinking at rehearsals

thunderbird13

I wouldn't want my bandmates boozing at rehearsals, but that's me. If I want to hang out with people drinking, I'll go to the pub. People get stupid when drinking and that is what I cannot stand. My bandmates don't drink at rehearsals and no more than one or two for nerves before a gig. I don't touch alcohol any more.

If my bandmates were to implement a "drinking culture" at practice, I would leave. There is usually a shortage of bassists...shouldn't be too hard to find another band!

I don't drink anyway, but I see it that a rehearsal is just that.
A let's have a few beers and play some music is something else entirely.
There's going to come a point where it becomes a waste of time. And truly no one really plays better after drinking, they maybe just feel more comfortable with what they're doing.

And drinking on a gig is something I would never do.

[quote name='stewblack' timestamp='1333693943' post='1605298']
Fascinating thing for me is how angry some people get at the suggestion they shouldn't drink. Screams alcohol problem to me.[/quote]

Fascinating thing for me is how angry some people get about drinking at rehearsal. Screams control freak to me. ;)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1333698642' post='1605330']
So where do you think we would be without the many great musicians who like, or liked, a drink? There are plenty of examples.[/quote]

True, and most of 'em are dead. ;)

Edited by discreet

A practice is not a writing session and a rehearsal is not a practice.

If someone opened a beer at a practice, I would have to ask why? If they opened one at rehearsal and they will have a beer on the gig, its probably the best time to find out if it makes them better or worse.

Probably the last person to ask if drinking makes a player better is that player. Drinking slows your reactions it's hardly likely to sharpen you up is it?

If you're drinking to relieve stress it'll only make the stress worse. Someone 'needing' a beer is completely different to someone 'fancying' one.

[quote name='stewblack' timestamp='1333693943' post='1605298']
Fascinating thing for me is how angry some people get at the suggestion they shouldn't drink. Screams alcohol problem to me.
[/quote]

My only problem is that I've not got a drink. ;)

I just don't see where people get off on telling people what they should and shouldn't do. We're all grown-ups (allegedly) and I don't really take that kindly to it.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333708544' post='1605497']
If you're drinking to relieve stress it'll only make the stress worse.
[/quote]

I've got to say... in my experience, that's complete nonsense. Yes, in some stressful situations, taking mood enhancing intoxicants can result in an increase in stress. However, a few beers at a rehearsal after a tough day at work is not going to make the stress worse. If it does, there are other issues other than the few beers.

And certainly in this situation, a few beers will relax me and allow me to get into the moment more easily, especially if I've got a bit stressed over something which hasn't been resolved earlier in the day.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333706392' post='1605448']
Fascinating thing for me is how angry some people get about drinking at rehearsal. Screams control freak to me. ;)
[/quote]

Missed your post :lol:

And the comment about driving is ridiculous. Playing bass / performing on a bass is nothing like driving a car. What's the worst that can happen? You make a t!t out of yourself? You get fired from your band (if so probably in the wrong band!).

It's not being in control of heavy friggin' machinery in a public place for gods sake!

Edited by bigjohn

Alcohol is a depressant not a stimulant. It depresses your reactions and impairs your judgement. You're more likely to scrape your car on the garage wall than kill someone after a pint. More likely to miss the subtle ques from your fellow musicians like changes of tempo from your drummer.

But if you're playing in a band where you all have a few beers, the drummer counts 4 and it's see you all at the end of the song, it probably doesn't matter. Depends on how seriously you take your musicianship.

The first sense to get dulled from alcohol is your hearing which is a good enough reason not to drink for me.

Since my current band got together we started a "tradition" of bringing along a couple of packs of Becks Blue or Erdinger Blue, I wouldn't normally dink such stuff, somehow it doesn't seem so wrong to drink alcohol free beer at practice. Even so I keep it to a couple of bottles cos I don't want to get caught short on the 25 mile drive home.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333733877' post='1605916']
Alcohol is a depressant not a stimulant. It depresses your reactions and impairs your judgement. You're more likely to scrape your car on the garage wall than kill someone after a pint. More likely to miss the subtle ques from your fellow musicians like changes of tempo from your drummer.

But if you're playing in a band where you all have a few beers, the drummer counts 4 and it's see you all at the end of the song, it probably doesn't matter. Depends on how seriously you take your musicianship.

The first sense to get dulled from alcohol is your hearing which is a good enough reason not to drink for me.
[/quote]

Not wanting to sound condescending, but I think you'll find there's a lot more to the effects of alcohol on the human brain and body than it being a straight depressant and a duller of the senses.

And it's not illegal to drive over the limit because you might scratch your car down the garage wall is it? It's not about what's likely, it's about what might happen. It's about reducing and managing risk, considering the dire consequences.

Missing a cue is maybe as likely to happen because you're thinking about something said that afternoon. Perhaps a beer would have helped with a bit of that short term focus. Who knows?

I'd bet each of us could record a line once a week over 3 weeks. Once after a few, once after a couple and once sober and on average, the differences would be negligible. People would struggle to pick the "pissed up" performances out from the rest. Especially with players they don't know. Other factors would bring as much to bear on the results. I know this is definitely true for me as I've done plenty of recording with a few beers (and more). As soon as I don't associate the particular day they were recorded with the recording, I can't tell the difference between them and when I'm stone cold sober. ie Some recordings are good, some bad, not some pissed / some not.

ie the value of each outcome is absolute, relative to one another, rather than relative to one abstract contributory influence.

Edited by bigjohn

I think the main issue is if people start to regard rehearsals as a time to drink, oh, and play some music, almost as a side issue.

I, as a non-drinker (though in a former life, I drank plenty) have no issues with people having a beer, so long as the performance is as good as it is without the beer. If it`s not, then it becomes an issue that may, or may not need dealing with, depending on the views of the whole band.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1333739146' post='1606008']
I think the main issue is if people start to regard rehearsals as a time to drink, oh, and play some music, almost as a side issue.

I, as a non-drinker (though in a former life, I drank plenty) have no issues with people having a beer, so long as the performance is as good as it is without the beer. If it`s not, then it becomes an issue that may, or may not need dealing with, depending on the views of the whole band.
[/quote]

Well said Lozz.

There's more than just playing ability to consider though. I used to be in a band with a couple of singer/guitarists who liked a few beers before a gig (or even at ten am in the van on the way to one!) and whilst I can say that it genuinely didn't have a negative impact on their vocal/musical performances (always spot on) it did affect their personality and behavior on the day, which often came across in their interaction on stage.

Was definitely one of the reasons that band stopped being enjoyable for me, I miss the music but i don't miss the attitudes!

I don't drink at my desk, where I earn my crust; but I'll happily have a drink at rehearsal. I play for fun, and it's a case of just doing whatever makes it fun - sometimes getting all clean and serious; sometimes having a jar.

I'd only complain if it stopped being fun - if it stopped people playing and enjoying the music.

Maybe practice your drinking?

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333631258' post='1604549']
The way I look at it is that rehearsals are for rehearsing and the pub/club afterwards is
for drinking.
Of course,I'm sure for many people the social aspect of being in a band is one of the most
important things (maybe the most important?),but for me rehearsals are for working on new
material and drinking doesn't help.Likewise at gigs-I'm assuming that most of the people
here don't need a drink before going to work/school/whatever....same thing.
[/quote]

Bang on. Drives me nuts and does the whole profession a disservice. Ever tried to get car insurance as a musician? They'll bleed you dry as history attests to hyped-up chemically enhanced musos crashing at 3 in the morning coming back from gigs.

Ask three bass players, get five opinions...

Depends on what you're there for. As I said, I don't drink at my desk. If you're earning your crust, leaving off the drink and playing the professionalism angle makes perfect sense.

But if you're out for a laugh, then playing the serious owl act could leave you looking like a stuffy twat.

Find your balance, bass players of the world. There's no right or wrong answer, if you're happy; the band are happy; and the music works.

[quote name='funkypenguin' timestamp='1333828981' post='1607175']
You're in a rehearsal to rehearse, not to drink. End of, especially if you're paying for the rehearsal space.
[/quote]

Jawohl mein Pengiun Kommandant.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1333837667' post='1607305']
Find your balance, bass players of the world. [/quote]

Quite. Rehearsals should be task-oriented.

In one 'mates' band, rehearsals ended up more like a picnic. People were bringing hampers of delicacies, fine wines, little table to put in the corner for a buffet. In another band, we practically breathalysed each other on arrival and humour was regarded as a sign of feeble weakness.

All good.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1333842658' post='1607364']
Jawohl mein Pengiun Kommandant.
[/quote]

Danke herr bigjohn

in retrospect i was a bit sharp there, joys of posting after an unproductive rehearsal :P theres nothing wrong with having a chilled atmosphere in the rehearsal room (especially if its for your own pleasure) but time is (literally) money, and you get much more done when sharp and sober. At the end of the day, if you want to drink, go down the pub. at least you arnt paying by the hour there :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1333837667' post='1607305']

Find your balance, bass players of the world. There's no right or wrong answer, if you're happy; the band are happy; and the music works.
[/quote]

Precisely. Are we such an insecure bunch that we need others to tell us how to behave?