Why become a member? ×

I've treated myself to a new toy......

Bassmonkey

Finally bought a Gibson Les Paul bass. been GASing for one for ages and finally got my hands on one in glorious cherry sunburst. It weighs a ton but sounds mega being a huge slab of mahogany. Was the only bidder on EBay. Exact same model on sale at Dawsons in Leeds for £1449 so I am well happy having paid £690.

Debuting it tonight at my gig. Cant wait.

Sorry to be crowing, just had to share the joy!

Andy

[attachment=103847:012.JPG]Debuted the Les Paul last night. Really liked it. It is a tad heavy but seems really well balanced. I used a fairly wide padded strap to compensate for this. The first thing I noticed is just how loud the pickups are. I also used an active Stingray and the LP was noticeably louder. The pickup sourrounds offer a handy place to rest your thumb too. I found the blended pickup selector worked best for me with more through the rhythm than treble. The bottom end is immense and the top is really zingy and bright. Not sure I'll ever use the far extent of the brightness to be fair but versatile I guess? It also sustains really well.

The only slight "moment" was when the top [email="bl@@dy"]bl@@dy[/email] strap pin pulled out mid song, I managed to finish the song kind of with one leg supporting the beast. Cue quick swap to the Musicman. Looking at it today, the screws were a bit small considering the weight they have to support. New screw used and it feels nice and secure now.

Using again tonight so hopefully no more hiccups! (other minor downside is that the case is so nice, I am worried it'll get knackered in the van. Will be transfering in to another today he he - not really a problem)

Anyway, here's a few pics as promised. Feel free to drool boys and girls! Andy

Forgot to say - the seller described the bass as about 8.5 out of 10. He must have high standards, If I had bought this new - I would have been happy. Not a scratch or a mark on it. Also, the one in Dawsons has a fairly crude joint at the neck, this one is perfect. Happy and a bit smug boy! See ya. Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1333278163' post='1599434']
[attachment=103847:012.JPG]Debuted the Les Paul last night. Really liked it. It is a tad heavy but seems really well balanced. I used a fairly wide padded strap to compensate for this. The first thing I noticed is just how loud the pickups are. I also used an active Stingray and the LP was noticeably louder. The pickup sourrounds offer a handy place to rest your thumb too. I found the blended pickup selector worked best for me with more through the rhythm than treble. The bottom end is immense and the top is really zingy and bright. Not sure I'll ever use the far extent of the brightness to be fair but versatile I guess? It also sustains really well.

The only slight "moment" was when the top [email="bl@@dy"]bl@@dy[/email] strap pin pulled out mid song, I managed to finish the song kind of with one leg supporting the beast. Cue quick swap to the Musicman. Looking at it today, the screws were a bit small considering the weight they have to support. New screw used and it feels nice and secure now.

Using again tonight so hopefully no more hiccups! (other minor downside is that the case is so nice, I am worried it'll get knackered in the van. Will be transfering in to another today he he - not really a problem)

Anyway, here's a few pics as promised. Feel free to drool boys and girls! Andy
[/quote]

I had one of these, cracking basses, and used to get a lot of interest from punters about it.