Why become a member? ×

Upside Down Bass Playing

Hobbayne

Played a blues festival once and bassist after me played upside down , left hander on std bass, chatted to him after and reason was he learned on his older brothers right hand bass so never needed to buy a lefty

Can't play the clips above but remember the flea one, foxy lady I think

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1333276538' post='1599414']
I would imagine playing that way would also be quite limiting for certain techniques, like slapping for example. Not that that's the end of the world of course. Everyone I've seen playing "upside down" though always looks a bit awkward. I've yet to see any challenging bass lines being played like that.
[/quote]
Once again.......Jimmy Haslip and Keith Horne. Both play exteremely challenging basslines on
upside down strung instruments.Horne has got a crazy slap technique,and as far as I'm concerned
Haslip is one of the greatest electric bass players.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333195127' post='1598559']
They probably started by picking up a right hander and just flipped it over,so got used to playing
that way. I'm sure that if you start that way then it becomes as 'natural' as playing in standard
tuning.
[/quote]

That's what I've always assumed was the case with Lee Pomeroy and now that he actually plays left handed basses he still plays with the strings inverted!
[url="http://node2.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/clip/p00dvpc8_640_360.jpg"]http://node2.bbcimg.co.uk/iplayer/images/clip/p00dvpc8_640_360.jpg[/url]

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Phantomnin' timestamp='1333405630' post='1601397']
Agreed that Haslip is a tremendous talent, and plays complex stuff.

Didn't Hendrix play an upside down guitar? No complex stuff there of course.
[/quote]
The guitar may have been upside down but Hendrix had his strings as standard and not upside down.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333195127' post='1598559']
They probably started by picking up a right hander and just flipped it over,so got used to playing
that way. I'm sure that if you start that way then it becomes as 'natural' as playing in standard
tuning.
[/quote]

agree..and it makes for some very interesting takes on stylistic things...some are a pig to ape, others are far easier.

Haslip is great so trying to nick his lines could lead you into territory playing-wise you wouldn't get exposed to otherwise.