Why become a member? ×

Bolt-on versus neck-thru for slapping - opinions?

Sean

I keep hearing and reading that bolt-on construction basses are generally considered better for slap. I've just acquired a neck-thru and it's the first one I've had for a few years and it got me thinking that for me there doesn't seem to be much difference, if any; as long as I have the right pickup settings and EQing it sounds great on any of my bolt-ons or neck-thru.

Is there a "laws pf physics" reasoning to why bolt-on would be better?

Do any of us have any strong opinions either way as to whether one or the other is better? If so, could you please explain your thinking?

Many thanks

:)

Honestly,I can't hear a difference between bolt on and neck through...and I seriously doubt that
most people (anyone?) can. The only thing that I do like about neck through instruments is the
lack of a neck heel,so you can cleanly reach into the upper register.

This video gives a direct tonal comparison of similar bolt-on and neck-through basses and may be of interest:

http://www.theguitarcolumn.com/2010/03/bolt-on-vs-neck-thru-tone-difference.html

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1332689870' post='1591645']
Honestly,I can't hear a difference between bolt on and neck through...and I seriously doubt that
most people (anyone?) can. The only thing that I do like about neck through instruments is the
lack of a neck heel,so you can cleanly reach into the upper register.
[/quote]

I thought I could hear a difference... but, in the end, I'm pretty sure you hear what you want. I don't think, for quality basses of both types, there is any substantive difference which would highlight one as being 'better' than the other.

Edited by Gust0o

I don't claim to have a particularly refined ear but I sort of think there's a natural compression on a neck-thru, around the mids, which somehow are more open, even aggressive sounding on a bolt-on. Or perhaps the fundamental comes through a little stronger... dunno.

As others have pointed out though, Stanley and Mark King sound good on neck-thu's, and Marcus sounds good on a bolt-on. And let's not forget Victor who gets a great tone from his Fodera which I think is a set-neck.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1332690026' post='1591648']
This video gives a direct tonal comparison of similar bolt-on and neck-through basses and may be of interest:

[url="http://www.theguitarcolumn.com/2010/03/bolt-on-vs-neck-thru-tone-difference.html"]http://www.theguitar...difference.html[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting stuff, however it doesn't really explain the physics of it. The engineer in me wants to know :unsure:

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1332690026' post='1591648']

[url="http://www.theguitarcolumn.com/2010/03/bolt-on-vs-neck-thru-tone-difference.html"]http://www.theguitar...difference.html[/url]
[/quote]Apart from the different body woods, neck woods and strings, of course ;)

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1332689345' post='1591639']

Is there a "laws pf physics" reasoning to why bolt-on would be [b]better[/b]?

[/quote]
No!
There are so many more important things than neck-through/bolt-on when considering the tone of an instrument.
I [i]generally[/i] prefer neck-through instruments for the reason Doddy explains above...and, I think, they [i]look[/i] nicer.

As for the comparison ikay linked to...that's a far from scientific demonstration and should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

Just get a bass that [i]you[/i] like the sound and feel of, regardless of neck-through or bolt-on. Best not to get too geeky about it. ;) .

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1332692819' post='1591708']
Just get a bass that [i]you[/i] like the sound and feel of, regardless of neck-through or bolt-on. Best not to get too geeky about it. ;) .
[/quote]

Well, I'm glad that's put to bed; more time and space for a good Jazz vs. Precision thread now :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1332693081' post='1591713']
Well, I'm glad that's put to bed; more time and space for a good Jazz vs. Precision thread now :rolleyes:
[/quote]Well, I'm a Precision man myself. Unfortunately, though, they don't come neck-through :(

Sorry if my post bothered you, didn't mean to imply that [i]you[/i] were being geeky, just that it's easy for anyone to be concerned with stuff that makes little, or no difference.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1332691328' post='1591678']
Interesting stuff, however it doesn't really explain the physics of it. The engineer in me wants to know :unsure:
[/quote]

Here's a bit of the supposed science relating to resonant frequency (not my words, result of googling but sounds reasonable):

"A neck through will have a longer continuous fiber length throughout the piece and will have a lower natural resonating frequency (RF) due to this longer length. The fundamental will dominate. [tone will be more round and less bright due to less complex harmonics - see below]

A set neck [or bolt-on] will have 2 shorter pieces (body and neck) each with their own RF along with their combined signature. The impedance mismatch at the neck joint will reflect some of that back into the body and neck but will also allow specific frequencies to pass and blend. It all makes it to the strings eventually and you have a more complex sonic signature with a larger range than with a single piece body/neck core. The fundamental is still there but the midrange will dominate."

Another link here although this study focused on sustain rather than tone - [url="http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm"]http://liutaiomottol...ointSustain.htm[/url]

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1332690026' post='1591648'] This video gives a direct tonal comparison of similar bolt-on and neck-through basses and may be of interest: http://www.theguitarcolumn.com/2010/03/bolt-on-vs-neck-thru-tone-difference.html [/quote]

Quite interesting... but that difference could be different woods, or even different strings.... but lets say there is the clear difference between bolt on and neck through like they say- so the bolt on has more harmonics compared to fundamental... compared to the neck through.....

now if I am sat at home with two ken smith basses and a webcam well one with more harmonics is going to sound better... it's going to be richer and more interesting on it's own... but stick it in the mix with guitars, vocals and a drum kit- is it still going to be the best to have more harmonics going on?
anyway- I don't know what my point was!

It doesn't matter, IMV...you just play the one that has the right sound, but whether that is neck-thru or bolt-on, it isn't a factor.

Now sustain and resonance, that might be something, but again, neither design can lay claim to being better than the other in that regard, IME.