Why become a member? ×

Songs we can't play any more

spinynorman

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332761205' post='1592594']
Nobody's mentioned 'Aqualung' yet! But I guess that's not usually done by yer average covers band!
:lol:
[/quote]

I always think a stange case is the Uncle Ernie bit from Tommy. Obviously fiddling about with a disabled kid is fine as long as it's under the umbrella of Keith Moon's OTT comedic portrayal.

Then you look at the more recent hot water the Who's main writer got into - then you read that he asked John Entwhistle to write Uncle Ernies song because he ...er.... didn't think he could do that a good a job.........yes , that's it..... :unsure: :unsure:

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1332753887' post='1592402']
Oh yes, some strange sights. I was on a bus going back to the station and the driver said he wasn't going to let me off the bus because "... I hate southerners". Ha ha... classic. I think he was from Huddersfield. Bless 'im.
[/quote]

Jaysus! Now there's a hole... just be thankful they're still a league down and it's not an away fixture :lol:

I'm kinda with Daz - maybe we should just play all the AC tracks and be damned? If so, we have enough suggestions in this thread for a 10-minute set - how shall we fill the other 50? :lol:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332755123' post='1592438']
And yet as far as I know it's still OK to do 'Delilah' and 'Hey Joe'. Which are both about murdering someone.
[/quote]

From the dawn of music until about 50 years ago punters couldn't get enough of songs about topping one's spouse, offspring, parents or other family member - e.g. Mattie Groves, Long Black Veil, Cocaine Blues, etc.

The decline of this form is one I plan to redress in my long-delayed roots country outfit. Lots of stuff about poison, daggers and drowning. Plus hideous industrial accidents, wilful substance abuse and disrespectful gender objectification.

It'll be a hoot.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1332763548' post='1592651']
The decline of this form is one I plan to redress in my long-delayed roots country outfit. Lots of stuff about poison, daggers and drowning. [b]Plus hideous industrial accidents[/b], wilful substance abuse and disrespectful gender objectification.

It'll be a hoot.
[/quote]

Can't wait for that! :) This has got me trying to think of songs about hideous industrial accidents.
The only one I can come up with is 'Big Bad John' ...I suppose there are several others about mining disasters as well.
But they might all be a bit too PC for this thread. ;)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332763928' post='1592657']
Can't wait for that! :) This has got me trying to think of songs about hideous industrial accidents.
The only one I can come up with is 'Big Bad John' ...I suppose there are several others about mining disasters as well.
But they might all be a bit too PC for this thread. ;)
[/quote]

There's [i]Wreck of the Old 97[/i] (about a train crash) as performed by Johnny Cash on Live At St. Quentin (1969).

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1332764198' post='1592665']
There's [i]Wreck of the Old 97[/i] (about a train crash) as performed by Johnny Cash on Live At St. Quentin (1969).
[/quote]

Oh yes, I suppose there are a few train crash songs as well.
I was thinking more along the lines of 'I fell off a ladder and I wasn't wearing my hard hat'. Maybe silddx will come along with a few suggestions! :lol:

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1332762899' post='1592631']

I always think a stange case is the Uncle Ernie bit from Tommy. Obviously fiddling about with a disabled kid is fine as long as it's under the umbrella of Keith Moon's OTT comedic portrayal.

[/quote]

I don't think it was ever suggested that child abuse was in any way acceptable. In the context of the album, the song represents just one of the many horrors Tommy is subjected to - and it was sang by Entwistle.
Moon's portrayal of Ernie as a leering grotesque was obviously played for dark comic effect, but can you imagine Ken Russell presenting it any other way in the context of the film? Despite this, there's no way anyone could think it was supposed to be fine or ok.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1332764810' post='1592684']
I presume if we intro any of the songs as "this is our post-modern ironic take on this" we'd get away with it... ?
[/quote]

I reckon that if the williams I play to need me to explain that to them they should have stayed at home in their yurt knitting themselves a dreamcatcher.

There is a type of humour in English pubs - and especially English music pubs - that is an absolute national treasure , despite all the toss rod PC cowardly wimps of this world throwing all they can to stop it.

I like that type of humour - I shall champion it at every opportunity and continue to get paid for doing so.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1332764198' post='1592665']
[/quote]

That's in. Always loved the line: "They found him there with his hand on the throttle / scalded to death by the steam".

First million selling country record and written by a guy who saw the actual train crash.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1332768498' post='1592773']
Why, do you stop w***ing when you get to 50?
[/quote]

I didn't start til I was 50 !!

Why is it iffy to be singing teenage kicks in middle age?? I don't get that. Most songs are stories - stories are recollections about events in the past. You don't stop telling a tale about something that happened to you at school or in your 20's when you get to 50 so why wouldn't you sing about them with the same gusto?

Middle aged people have memories of all of their lives - everyone remembers teenage kicks - if you want to sing about them at 50 , plenty of 50 year olds - and other ages too - will want to listen.

At least it's something you know about. Makes me laugh to hear some pillock bawling out 'Sweet Home Chicago' in a Northern boozer and he's never been further west than Blackpool.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1332612475' post='1590757']
Loads you woulnt sing, I wouldnt have sung whn they were new. Stones, Stray Cat Blues for nstance.

Diferent times dont justify images like these .....

[/quote]

Not a problem in Japan....

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1332770339' post='1592811']
I didn't start til I was 50 !!

Why is it iffy to be singing teenage kicks in middle age?? I don't get that. Most songs are stories - stories are recollections about events in the past. You don't stop telling a tale about something that happened to you at school or in your 20's when you get to 50 so why wouldn't you sing about them with the same gusto?

Middle aged people have memories of all of their lives - everyone remembers teenage kicks - if you want to sing about them at 50 , plenty of 50 year olds - and other ages too - will want to listen.

At least it's something you know about. Makes me laugh to hear some pillock bawling out 'Sweet Home Chicago' in a Northern boozer and he's never been further west than Blackpool.
[/quote]

Good post! :)

[quote name='MSL' timestamp='1332716186' post='1592157']
It was 'Claire' saying to her Uncle Ray that she wanted to marry him, not the other way round on Gilbert O'Sullivan's recording. Nothing untoward there.
[/quote]

Nono, Claire said to Wilf that she wanted to marry him. Oh hurray.

Gary Glitter's song lyrics don't have anything really dodgy - except for "Leader of the Gang" which has the line "I'm the man who put the bang in the gang". Can't see the problem with playing his stuff, there's some significantly dodgier characters issuing records after all.

I rather think that "Sweeties" by the Handsome Beasts would raise a few eyebrows.