Why become a member? ×

How did that happen - "I've got blisters on my fingers "

thunderbird13

Ok so I haven’t been practicing as much as I should for the past 3 weeks and I’ve been using a pick a bit more as it suits the classic rock thing a bit better than fingerstyle. But last night at band practice I forgot my pick so I just used fingerstyle , the practice lasted no more than 1 ½ hours but today I have 2 massive blisters on my fingertips where I was plucking the strings. I would have thought that given the fact that I’ve played almost daily for 4 or 5 years now and most of that time fingerstyle that my fingers would be as hard a leather now. I’m kinda surprised that its gotten tender so quickly – has anyone else noticed this ?

dont worry excactly the same happend to me last summer i didnt played the bass for 1 month and when i had the practice session for 2 hours 2 massive blister apeared next day in my right hand fingers!!! I was in pain for 1 week and after i was playing, my leather fingers come back to normal and i noticed the following:

1 not playing for long time brings that to surface
2 always in band rehersals i play harder than home
3 practicing daily is solving that and more technique issues
4 always warm up before you play

:)

Edited by KERMITNT

Way back in Uni I was asked to join a band and thought I'd give it a go. The only problem was that the first gig was booked for a week's time and I hadn't heard any of the (original) songs. So we practiced all day and night for a week. The gig turned out quite well but I had to play it with a plaster on my finger with a piece of card on top and all wrapped up in masking tape. The blister that had formed underneath my burst blister had also burst and this was the only way I could put any pressure on the strings.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1332322136' post='1586482']
scanning this thread i never realised the blister thing was such a widespread issue! :huh:

luckily never had blisters regardless of playing/practice frequency
[/quote]

+1.

I think that generally, blisters are caused by "digging in" too much.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1332323166' post='1586498']
+1.

I think that generally, blisters are caused by "digging in" too much.
[/quote]

id agree with that - i find that old age is slowly refining my technique to use optimum(minimum) left hand pressure although right (plucking) hand i would say im slightly more heavy handed than the average player but still doesnt cause me any problems luckily

I've got good callouses, but I have been practising sitar lines on my acoustic guitar for some forthcoming gigs, and my fretting hand fingertips started hurting after ten minutes, even two days later they are still very tender. They will be hard as hammers in a week. I can deal with the pain, I have learned to enjoy it up to a point.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1332327493' post='1586591']
I've got good callouses, but I have been practising sitar lines on my acoustic guitar for some forthcoming gigs, and my fretting hand fingertips started hurting after ten minutes, even two days later they are still very tender. They will be hard as hammers in a week. I can deal with the pain, I have learned to enjoy it up to a point.
[/quote]

do you find the skinny strings on guitars cause more probs than bass strings though? - bass strings is fine with me but as soon as i start noodling around on my old 6string acoustic it does start to take its toll in very little time at all

I like to "dig in" as well, and have had problems with blisters over the years when I've had a few weeks with little practice or playing time. I found that trying to incorporate a third finger also helps - so instead of just first and second fingers I can take the pressure off a bit (literally and figuratively) by using combinations of fingers 1, 2 and 3. Picks as well, obviously.

Funnily enough, I think I tend to play harder at home as I often can't be bothered to plug into an amp and play acoustically. At rehearsals or gigs I can turn the amp up...

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1332328080' post='1586604']
do you find the skinny strings on guitars cause more probs than bass strings though? - bass strings is fine with me but as soon as i start noodling around on my old 6string acoustic it does start to take its toll in very little time at all
[/quote]

I guess the physics would say that it's down to pressure (force) per unit area. Skinny strings = smaller contact area so greater force per unit area = more pain!!

Bass strings are thicker, but also rougher in texture (unless you use flats) - so friction is a bigger factor, especially when moving up and down strings.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

[/quote]

Absolutely! Same pressure concentrated into a tiny surface area.

[/quote]

I find it's whichever one I've been neglecting most recently. :)

I never really get blisters on my picking hand. Could be because:

A- I use half rounds all the time, nice and smooth

B- I don`t dig in hard enough but volume has never been a problem

C- I`m from Paisley and am a right hard b**tard and are you looking at ma bird wee man!!!!!

Answers on a postcard to Blue Peters usual address.

Jez