Why become a member? ×

Basses that you've never wanted to own.

Marvin

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1339930256' post='1696322']
ACGs...
I would happily have a go on one though if the opportunity arose though. The looks just do nothing for me, and I imagine the sound to be very modern, clinical and sterile - probably totally incorrect an assumption.
[/quote]

If you're ever in the area then drop me a line (or come to the EABB) you're more than welcome to give mine a go (although it's in Drop C tuning ;) ) if you decide it sounds clinical and sterile you're probably insane :D

Some basses that have put me off at certain points in my life, though none have always put me off:

In historical order:
- violin basses - for the looks and the ergonomics (only tried one though)
- basses with bridges that consist of wire steel and that go around the edge, where they're fixed with a tiny screw.
- Rics - looks at one point. John Hall at the moment, after yesterday reading a huge [s]threat[/s] thread.
- pointy things, spikey things, anything non-pointy and non-spikey that reminds of black metal (as to looks - not the music)
- anything overtly woody and/or single cut with terrible design - often made by hand, and very expensive
- any bass with more than 24 strings

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1339976107' post='1697246']

[/quote]

I see what you mean, but I think it's just a reflection of the light behind the camera.
Seriously though, this should be on the wrong side for me, but it isn't. I'd like not to be seen with it if it sounds bad, but I know it sounds good, so I'll proudly wear it even though my senses tell me it's a little too much.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1340042405' post='1698183']
...I'd like not to be seen with it if it sounds bad, but I know it sounds good, so I'll proudly wear it...[/quote]

I'm sure it sounds stupendous, but I just don't get on with headless basses... look like shovels to me! And I don't like wood finishes either... look like furniture to me! :lol:
So there it is... I don't like it because it looks like a shovel made out of furniture. :crazy:

Edited by discreet

These new Fenders with "reverse headstocks". Words fail me.

Pre-f**ked basses at hugely inflated prices to cover Denmark St shop overheads and pander to Denmark St egos.

Anything so complicated that it doesn't have a signature tone.

One of those ill-advised abortions that had fretted E/A and fretless D/G.

That hideous Fender Antigua snot-burst finish that they have seen fit to re-inflict upon us.

That Fender 51 RI in visible-from-space mustard. The really really unfortunate thing here is that I own one of these with the quarter pound pickup and it plays and sounds far too good to do the most appropriate thing which is to sell it and allow style to return to my living room. If only I could have it re-finished in black like a sort of contemporary-japan-jazz-bass special one-off 51 RI. Now there's a plan...

CB

PS: How about a roadworn 51 RI in mustard with an antigua scratchplate, complicated active electronics, a half fretted maple neck with black block inlays and LEDs and a reverse headstock. Sorry if you're eating your dinner.

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340042729' post='1698196']
So there it is... I don't like it because it looks like a shovel made out of furniture. :crazy:
[/quote]

For me, it's not that it's headless. They do feel a little weird, but do contain a vague promise, and they induce my GAS.
It's about the overtly "beautifulness" with graphite on top of the already mixed shiny woods, plus the amount of knobs. Lurv the shape though.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1340046917' post='1698303']

PS: How about a roadworn 51 RI in mustard with an antigua scratchplate, complicated active electronics, a half fretted maple neck with black block inlays and LEDs and a reverse headstock. Sorry if you're eating your dinner.
[/quote]

Awww man! Now I've got to clean the sick out of my keyboard! :unsure: :(

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1340046917' post='1698303']
These new Fenders with "reverse headstocks". Words fail me.

Pre-f**ked basses at hugely inflated prices to cover Denmark St shop overheads and pander to Denmark St egos.

Anything so complicated that it doesn't have a signature tone.

One of those ill-advised abortions that had fretted E/A and fretless D/G.

That hideous Fender Antigua snot-burst finish that they have seen fit to re-inflict upon us.

That Fender 51 RI in visible-from-space mustard. The really really unfortunate thing here is that I own one of these with the quarter pound pickup and it plays and sounds far too good to do the most appropriate thing which is to sell it and allow style to return to my living room. If only I could have it re-finished in black like a sort of contemporary-japan-jazz-bass special one-off 51 RI. Now there's a plan...

CB

[/quote]

PhotoShop geniuses where are you!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1340051194' post='1698398']
PhotoShop geniuses where are you!
[/quote]

Nooo! That's like saying "wouldn't it be gross if someone excreted, urinated and vomited into a pot, boiled it, stirred it and served it as stew? Say, could the culinary geniuses conjure me up a sample just to try?" :lol:

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1340052281' post='1698428']
Nooo! That's like saying "wouldn't it be gross if someone excreted, urinated and vomited into a pot, boiled it, stirred it and served it as stew? Say, could the culinary geniuses conjure me up a sample just to try?" :lol:
[/quote]
I'm not going to look to find out, but that's probably already on Youtube.

Edited by KingBollock

In terms of aesthetics, many Fender or Fender type instruments, although I don't mind Ps so much. I'm particularly not interested in things with pale, insipid maple necks (I like old and tinted) or maple with black blocks and binding. I'm also not keen on too-new looking Fender instruments; if anything should look knackered it's a Fender. Show me a brand new bright red Jazz with a bright white scratchplate and a pale maple neck and it won't even register except as firewood. I'm not interested in Sadowskys etc (borne out by the ones I've played). Strangely I can't stand fancy wood Fender types either, although I like many fancy wood basses. It's just a clash of styles IMO. Not a fan of Burns basses or the Peavey T40. There are lots of things like Deans and ESPs and most Yams etc that don't even register with me (in fact the majority of things don't anymore), although I really like Ibanez SRs. Not a fan of the more extreme BC Riches (although I like the Mockingbird, Bich and Eagle). Wishbass? Sh**bass more like.

Unlike many on this thread, aesthetically I love Ricks and Alembics and headless basses. I like singlecuts too & I love things with long top horns.

I do wonder how much this is all influenced by the musical landscape you grew up in.....

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332168753' post='1584179']
Haha, I'm just teasing you Lefty - most of their modern range is total sh*te; and they are overplaying the pointy crap, because they know it sells well in certain markets... mainly new members on Talkbass who like to ask which basses are good for metal :lol:

The top one is mine. You're welcome to have a go any time - totally kills a Fender Precision, and I'd love to add more to the collection. But, their best basses are either in the past or coming via the Custom Shop, and I don't think either is necessarily a predictable delivery route at the moment.
[/quote]

I think the only good bass BC Rich make at the moment is probably the BC Rich Paulo Gregoletto Warlock 5 Spalted Maple (Actually comes from the Ed Roman (R.I.P.) Custom Shop but y'know)

Violin basses, Wals, a few Warwicks and singlecut basses. There's not much i don't like actually.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

2EQ 'Ray is my weapon of choice, but my bass no-nos are:

Wals : in '86 tried a Wal in Sound Control alongside a Ray. The Ray immediately sounded great, the Wal like a goose farting in the fog (to paraphrase a certain Mr Connolly), coun't get a decent sound despite immense fiddling, ewwww.....
Jazz Bass - I'm 6' 3" with large hands - cannot get on with narrow necks, need a bit of chunk in the neck (which some guys don't, fair dos)
Singlecuts - why?
Coffee table customs - ditto?
Precisions - like the neck, monodimensional sound and looks...
Anything with more than three knobs on the front - 'good design is when something is as simple as it needs to be, but no simpler'

Oddly enough wouldn't play a Ricky but quite like 'em visually, and original Steiny XL2 cricket bats are awesome sounding, despite the neck being too narrow.

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1340137044' post='1699870']
Anything with more than three knobs on the front - 'good design is when something is as simple as it needs to be, but no simpler'
[/quote]

Oddly enough I was told this quote for the first time in my life at about four thirty this very afternoon.

CB

It occurs to me that I can also include basses I have but would never 'upgrade', for example my MM SUB looks and plays better than my friends pre EB MMStingray and indeed several other EBMM Stingrays I've tried. Same way my Japanese Geddy Lee JB sounds better and plays better and indeed looks better than any American Fender I've ever tried. I've also found the addition of a Status Graphite neck is the ultimate upgrade and has ruled out several future purchases.

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1340291236' post='1702398']
Anything with more than 4 strings is a major turn off for me.. :search:And anything deemed as a stupid body shape.. IE Alembic's
[/quote]

I'd have thought if you like Thunderbirds you'd have liked Alembics. Their prices are what annoy me the most however.

Warwicks look like squashed chickens to me, even some have a dildo shape cutaway at the top. I bet they are lovely to play though.
I don't care for Ricks, they sound thin and are, in my opinion, just all flash and no trousers.
Pointy guitars and basses, such as B.C. Rich are really not my bag, impractical and ugly.
Not keen on the P bass because of the big neck.
'techno' basses such as stick basses, not my thing either.
Ones with a million strings on. Nope.
Never say never though eh?

[quote name='surfinbernard' timestamp='1340450008' post='1704563']
...some have a dildo shape cutaway at the top.[/quote]

I've always thought this. It would embarrass me to be seen playing with one in public.
Playing a Warwick would be pretty embarrassing too, thinking about it.
:D