Why become a member? ×

Basses that you've never wanted to own.

Marvin

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1332164132' post='1584071']
Relic - They look cool, but try explaining to a non-musician why you have paid over £2k for something that looks like it was found in a skip.
[/quote]

Brilliant! :D

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1332167706' post='1584149']
I'm guessing it's been a while since you were in a school.... :huh:
[/quote]

Health & Safety - you don't do woodwork in schools anymore, surely?

Nige will probably kill me for that... as long as he does so in a compliant and responsible fashion, I shall have few quibbles :lol:

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1332104958' post='1583427']
Nice instruments! Just so we're all clear, the comment was a play on words and not a dismissive comment about BC Rich - although I'm not a fan I don't have a problem with them or the people who play them.
[/quote]

Haha, I'm just teasing you Lefty - most of their modern range is total sh*te; and they are overplaying the pointy crap, because they know it sells well in certain markets... mainly new members on Talkbass who like to ask which basses are good for metal :lol:

The top one is mine. You're welcome to have a go any time - totally kills a Fender Precision, and I'd love to add more to the collection. But, their best basses are either in the past or coming via the Custom Shop, and I don't think either is necessarily a predictable delivery route at the moment.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332168753' post='1584179']
Haha, I'm just teasing you Lefty - most of their modern range is total sh*te; and they are overplaying the pointy crap, because they know it sells well in certain markets... mainly new members on Talkbass who like to ask which basses are good for metal :lol:

The top one is mine. You're welcome to have a go any time - totally kills a Fender Precision, and I'd love to add more to the collection. But, their best basses are either in the past or coming via the Custom Shop, and I don't think either is necessarily a predictable delivery route at the moment.
[/quote]

No worries. They do look nice. As for playing, well I'm left handed....

Slightly O/T, but a female student of mine bought a BC Rich guitar a few years ago (can't remember which one sadly - biggest they did at the time I suspect). I don't know how tall she was, but she was shorter than my wife (5'3"). She'd bought a proper HSC for it, and could actually hide behind it almost without bending her knees. Cracked me up every time she turned up for a lesson with it! :lol:

There's some I've owned that I wouldn't own again (eg. a Precision). And I did want to own a Jazz once, thirty years ago, but I don't now. If somebody gave me a 60s Hohner violin bass for nowt, I'd have it so I could sell it.

I wouldn't want anything painted or lacquered - it's got to be natural wood.

I'm not keen on singlecuts - I want to like them but I just can't.

The Status Streamline - that's horrible. If you want to make a cricket bat, do a proper job of it.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1332170400' post='1584204']
I forgot about Alembic. I got a Series 1 Point and grew to detest it. The band (at the time) hated it as well.
[/quote]

I think I'd still have a Spoiler though, even if it's about the only Alembic I would go for. I played Deaver's a while back and thought it was a great little bass, if a little more fancy and convoluted than my usual fair - though it would have to be Clarky's old black Spoiler for the full Jason experience :)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1332168388' post='1584170']
... and you have kids you still call third formers? :o Yikes! Looks like it's 100 lines for me then! :)
[/quote]
I must subconsciously change my language for Basschatters. I really meant "Young Adults studying Key Stage 3".

These days you might be more likely to be snorting than writing 100 lines...

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1332171620' post='1584228']
I must subconsciously change my language for Basschatters. I really meant "Young Adults studying Key Stage 3".

These days you might be more likely to be snorting than writing 100 lines...
[/quote]

I was a teacher myself for many long [s]and happy[/s] years, and am well acquainted with the habits of third formers. It's just that I don't remember ever using the phrase (or any of its various friends for that matter). I do remember some of my teachers using it back in the '60's though. ;)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1332180436' post='1584427']
I was a teacher myself for many long [s]and happy[/s] years, and am well acquainted with the habits of third formers. It's just that I don't remember ever using the phrase (or any of its various friends for that matter). I do remember some of my teachers using it back in the '60's though. ;)
[/quote]
Cheeky :lol:

Warwick.....nasty,super-hard-on-the fingers necks.With one notable exception (a 90s Streamer, owned by a certain well known trade show aficionado :-) ...absolutely horrible.
Ricks....amplified drainpipes.
Fender Precision...toneless,characterless planks.The Trabant of bass.

Rant over.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1332170892' post='1584211']
There's some I've owned that I wouldn't own again (eg. a Precision). And I did want to own a Jazz once, thirty years ago, but I don't now. If somebody gave me a 60s Hohner violin bass for nowt, I'd have it so I could sell it.

I wouldn't want anything painted or lacquered - it's got to be natural wood.

I'm not keen on singlecuts - I want to like them but I just can't.

The Status Streamline - that's horrible. If you want to make a cricket bat, do a proper job of it.
[/quote]

The status streamline is my dream bass...it works perfectly for me, sounds great and doesn't weight the stupid shoulder damaging weights of other basses.

Obviously looking at my bass collection I would say that.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1332035431' post='1582476']
I've never wanted a P, but I did have a Tanglewood fretless P in the early '90s that was a pretty nice bass, the neck was nothing like a Precision it was really slim and nice. These days I do quite like the idea of a Sandberg PM5, but that's the only P I want. And I'd ask for a J neck on it.

I've never wanted a Status because they are for 45 year old men with beer guts who saw Mark King play one. Consequently they must be the most-LED-fingerboarded basses ever made. Sorry to whoever here has a fingerboard festooned with LEDs but seriously what the f*** were you thinking? Do you just LOVE christmas?

But I would consider a Status aftermarket neck on a nicer bass. If they weren't so expensive.
[/quote]

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1332107972' post='1583490']
Wronnngg!!

A lot of the reason Mark Kings Kingbass sounds the way it does is because he plays with light gauge strings, and obviously he has his "tone"
My Kingbass has mediums on it, I play through an Ashdown MK500 amp (Mark King Signature) and Ashdown ABM 4x10 and ABM 2x10 cabs which ain't that far off the rig Mark used to play through.

There was that much bottom end coming through the rig at our gig on Friday night the bar staff asked me roll some bass off it as I had brought some glasses and bottles off the shelf behind them through the vibration of the low end. The bass was going straight out, not through the PA.

This is with just the eq from the bass as the rig was running flat with no eq.

I've had no end of Status basses, and always end up going back to them because I can get any tone I want from them, it's pure tosh that they only produce high end brittle tones, they're great for rock, and metal. Erm Rhino Edwards uses what is more or less an S2 in the Quo, you can't get any more "Rock" than the Quo. Da, Da Da, Da Da, Da Da, Da Da, Da Da :yarr:
[/quote]
[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1332108793' post='1583507']
+1

There are plenty of people who use Status basses for rock and a few well known ones like Chris Wotsisname from Muse, Guy Pratt from Floyd, Martin Blunt from Charlatans, Steve Firth from Embrace, Martin Glover and Pino Palladino (session) and Rhino as mentioned before. Pretty much the only famous player who slaps a Status is Mark King.

They're great basses but people assume they're only good for slapping machine gun triplets and lighting up like Christmas trees.
[/quote]

Status are a funny one. My first ever bass was a shark 2 (active 2 pup) I picked up for very little. It was lovely to learn on and a great neck. I sold it as my old P bass was getting all the playing time.
But it did get me onto the status forum...
and yes, status endorsed players aren't all the same, but boy, status fans..... :) Slappity slap slap.
I've not tried a carbon finer necked one but would pick up one of the wooden necked ones anytime, but.. again nice instruments, indistinct tone.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1332069514' post='1582680']
Ah, mission control, Jack Casady's Alembicised Guild.
[/quote]

Actually Phil Lesh's heavily alembicised guild. Source of some of the world's coolest music.