Why become a member? ×

Slapping a DB

Happy Jack

Disappointingly, it looks like I have to turn down a DB opportunity because the style involved really requires the ability to play slap DB.

They've offered to wait while I learn, but I've had to tell them that I haven't enough spare time to devote right now to learning a new, highly technical style of playing. Also, that my understanding is that not everyone who wants to slap a DB actually learns to do it successfully.

Am I being too hard on myself? Or perhaps a bit blinkered?

Is it [i][b]that [/b][/i]hard a style to master?

And if it's more do-able than I thought, what's my best route to achieving that mastery?

Do I need a really low action on my DB? (Yuk.)

Does it matter that, on electric bass, I don't tap/slap/pop/sweep/tickle/splurg? I just PLAY the damned thing.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CnjKuYhABA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CnjKuYhABA[/url]

Looking at that video, does it matter that I'm bald?

Swine, what harm did your bass ever do to you?

But more seriously I had an excellent lesson with BC's PaulKing last week immediately after picking up that DB bow from you. He's in Acton, very nice, can be plied with red wine (Chianti works), and awfully good at slapping. I left just about able to slap Johnny Cash-stylee (eg, Folsom Prison Blues). I could show you but I am still too rubbish. Paul is yer man :)

I've been learning Slap Bass for about 2 months and I'm just about got the technique Ok- ish , I've been learning off Lee Rockers DVD taking it nice and slow , Set your action about 1/4 to 1/2 inch so you have some finger space to pull the string for the slap back . Would love to get some lessons soon and I have someone in mind from around here, But If I can do it anyone can do it and its great fun.

Incidentally Jack, your action (higher than my ultra-low) and strings (Silver Slaps) are good for slapping, so its just down to technique. I have the same DVD mentioned in Geddys nose's post above which you are most welcome to borrow

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1331654590' post='1576652']
Incidentally Jack, your action (higher than my ultra-low) and strings (Silver Slaps) are good for slapping, so its just down to technique. I have the same DVD mentioned in Geddys nose's post above which you are most welcome to borrow
[/quote]

I'd love to borrow that if I may, and I've dropped PaulKing a PM.

I gather that he is, in fact, a Jedi Master ...

Edited by Happy Jack

You'll need to develop an extremely nonchalant expression also almost as if this slapping thing is what you do to warm up.

If like me you're a really crap player you can get something close to a slap effect by simply not controlling the degree to which the strings vibrate against the board. Statistically you'll be on the money tempo-wise 10% of the time. From there it's a matter judicious editing :D

Get that vid of the french guy on the Cordes Lambert thread, watch it four or five times, and ask yourself.............

The Cordes Lambert guy, Nicolas Dubouchet, is awesome and the most musical slapper to my ears

Here he is in laid back mode [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bE4jxKZdgE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bE4jxKZdgE[/url]

Gypsy jazzing [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQTISGj6Qzk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQTISGj6Qzk&feature=related[/url]

I like the one with the Dubouchet duet with the red faced chap playing the banjo. Can't find it now but hope someone will post it. Mrs Crap DB Player said she thought he was possibly the scariest looking musician she's ever seen (the banjo player that is), and she's lived with me a fair few years so has met a few!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1331657144' post='1576711']
I like the one with the Dubouchet duet with the red faced chap playing the banjo. Can't find it now but hope someone will post it. Mrs Crap DB Player said she thought he was possibly the scariest looking musician she's ever seen (the banjo player that is), and she's lived with me a fair few years so has met a few!
[/quote]
Hey! I had my hair cut for that video clip

Start slow and simple and build up the technique from there.

I'm not a full on slapper by any means, but I like to throw a couple in when I can. ;)

A useful exercise to get started is to play a slow tempo 12 bar blues pattern with a slap between each note on the up beat. Once you're comfy with that, try putting in a double slap at the start of the bar. Once you've got that, move on to triplets....

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1331655632' post='1576678']
You'll need to develop an extremely nonchalant expression also almost as if this slapping thing is what you do to warm up.

If like me you're a really crap player you can get something close to a slap effect by simply not controlling the degree to which the strings vibrate against the board. Statistically you'll be on the money tempo-wise 10% of the time. From there it's a matter judicious editing :D

Get that vid of the french guy on the Cordes Lambert thread, watch it four or five times, and ask yourself.............
[/quote]

You'll need a hat also

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1331659704' post='1576785']
A gentleman is someone who owns a banjo but never plays it.
[/quote]

The ultimate 'keep it in the mix' instrument. Few instruments sound quite as bad soloed as a banjo :rolleyes: