Why become a member? ×

Who Gigs An Old Bass? New Vs. Vintage?

spongebob

Last Saturday I used the CMI Ned Callan, 1971 vintage. One pickup, one vol, one tone, a ton of mahogany (body AND neck!) and a few steel bits. Nothing that could go wrong, so no backup or anything.

If you're talking about fear of it getting nicked, well you've got a point. gotta be double careful and don't leave anything lying around...

I gigged my (almost) mint 1976 Gibson Grabber - I nearly cried when I put an inevitable ding in it.

That said, as Neep and a few others told me - when it came time to man up about - they're working instruments, not wall pieces. You've got to take care of them, sure, but it would be a shame not to use them.

The Gibson has a great sound, it was absolutely the perfect choice for the gig... now if only I could find something similiar, at a fraction of the cost... :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1331631576' post='1576011']
There aren't really that many moving parts on a bass, you can't really compare it to a car in respect of letting you down mechanically. Look after them and they'll probably outlast you.
[/quote]

I'm fully intending them to - though hopefully not because I'm checking out any time soon! Touch wood! :lol:

But I'd like to pass mine on, and to teach my kids to play - something that never happened for me.

I'm not going to get very far looking for a vintage 35" scale 5 string bass but if I ever went back to 4 string I'd just get my old Pbass out. The pickups were replaced because they were going weak and I don't trust the truss rod so I only put lightweight strings on it these days but I wouldn't be playing any other 4 string bass.

At the moment I have 8 basses and they are all between 20-28 years old, with a particular liking for mid-late 80s MIJ things. Being a died in the wool meanie I no longer want to lose money buying and selling on new basses so always get them secondhand now.

The basses I use most frequently for gigs are both from '79 - the StingRay and the Precision - and I have never ever had any problems with either of them.

In fact, apart from the occasional broken string, I've never had any problems with a bass at a gig.

Have I just doomed myself....? :unsure:

In play a 66 p bass for all my electric gigs and it's hard as nails , just make sure you've got a hard case and insurance and away you go. It breaks my heart that most of the really nice pre CBS fenders sit it a collection never getting played. As for worrying about it getting damaged try taking a 5 grand upright out 3 times a week

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331657095' post='1576710']
:lol: Christ no! I'd rather take Ann Widdecombe out 3 times a week.
[/quote]

[i]"And this week's letter is from a little boy called Discreet... he writes, 'Dear Jim, can you please fix it for me to take Anne Widdecombe out three times a week..."[/i]

Jingle jangle :lol:

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331657986' post='1576740']
[i]"And this week's letter is from a little boy called Discreet... he writes, 'Dear Jim, can you please fix it for me to take Anne Widdecombe out three times a week..."[/i]
[/quote]

:lol: I'm sure she's a very nice person. :unsure:

I use my '74 Jazz bass when gigging. Well, I did until Paul Turner borrowed it, I'm still trying to prise it back out of his hands! Hahaha

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/CIMG0008-8.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/CIMG0003-9.jpg[/IMG]