Why become a member? ×

Best 80's basslines?

rubis

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1331506159' post='1574035']
I disagree... Go west had some fantastic tunes, Great musicians and Great production.
[/quote]

I thinks it's just that for me Go West (along with Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones) were pretty much the embodiment of the worst of 80s pop. They came across as boring old rockers with DX7s and a record company manufactured image. Maybe they weren't, but that's how it appeared. Clogging up the charts with their crappy music when bands like Freur, The Comsat Angels and Furniture should have been massive stars instead.

Have'nt read all of this thread, but the 80s bass lines I that come to mind are on paul Young tracks - Pino ? and the Frankie Goes Hollywood one - Norman ?

Was a great era for strong basslines, but not many of em to my taste really. I didnt play at all in the 80s, so took my eye off the ball a bit. Was Joe Jacksons Look Sharp album 80s ? theres some really great Bass on that which never gets mentioned on threads like this for some reason..

Marcus' line on Luther Vandross' 'Never Too Much' is really cool and grooving.

There were some cool lines,both bass guitar and synth bass on the Scritti Polliti albums
'Cupid and Psyche '85' and 'Provision'.

And,we can't forget the excellent bass work-again both electric and synth-on the Michael Jackson
albums 'Thriller' and 'Bad'.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331504714' post='1573993']
Simply awe-inspiring expression and taste ..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp6uS98Mfyw[/media]
[/quote]
That doesn't appear to be a musicman neck on Pino's bass...

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1331512126' post='1574107']
Have'nt read all of this thread, but the 80s bass lines I that come to mind are on paul Young tracks - Pino ? and the Frankie Goes Hollywood one - Norman ?

Was a great era for strong basslines, but not many of em to my taste really. I didnt play at all in the 80s, so took my eye off the ball a bit. Was Joe Jacksons Look Sharp album 80s ? theres some really great Bass on that which never gets mentioned on threads like this for some reason..
[/quote]

I love Joe Jackson...... I must play Look Sharpe every single week, it's one of those albums that I never ever tire of. There's also a fantastic live version of 'You can't get what you want' on the Stepping Out/Greatest hits album that features a really nice Bass line/slap solo.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYK5fqfRI4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYK5fqfRI4[/url]

Not strictly 80's, as it was released in '79, but the seminal band which spawned a whole 80's genre IMO.

Also, a candidate for best bass tone of all time on this one.

Love Hooky, simple but effective.

[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1331503505' post='1573966']
+1
[/quote]

aaahhhh,bloody old age again,and tyhe failing memory,

ok level 42 hot water,and most anything by pino,like I assasin,1930s rust by gary numan

now where did I leave that jazz hhmmmmm

Edited by stef030