Why become a member? ×

New bass?

jackhammer

hi all,

ive already posted this is the newbie section, however i feel i might get some more answers and help in here, so here goes!

At present I have an ashdown mini stack thing which is pretty cool, and a couple of low end basses, ibanez btb200(?) I think and a Fleabass, envelope filter and a fuzz pedal! As you probably guessed from the Fleabass, I'm a flea fan! I will try and get some pics of my gear including my guitars up for anyone that cares!

Which brings me on to my question, I'm thinking of investing in a new bass, probably got about £650 to spend max,but would prefer cheaper, just looking for some pointers or some suggestions really as I'm fairly new to the thick string world!

Thanks

Jack

With that kind of money you are best to start in the For Sale section of this forum. Lots of choice and instruments that are at very good prices. If you're unsure about buying unseen just check for any feedback the seller might have in the Feedback section. I've had nothing but good results buying from BC but as always do the checks first.

if your a flea fan then surely a musicman stingray is the best bet for £650? my old one sold on here for that price or the SUB basses are incredible value for money, usually between £350 and £400.

If you want to buy new, then the sterling range retail around £600.

Ps. Didn't want to sound patronising but just incase you didn't know, flea used musicman stingrays in the early days and his sig basses have all been of similar design since.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1331470289' post='1573196']
Be prepared for an avalanche of Fender/Squire/Warwick recommendations...
[/quote]

Well for that money you would get a nice Fender Geddy Lee signature, eexcellent basses for the money.

I'd have a good look through the for sale section, and be prepared to travel to look at the bass and try it first, I've sold and bought countless basses off here and never had a bad deal yet.

For your budget,I'd have to recommend looking at the secondhand market. Recently I've seen some great
instruments for quite a lot under your budget-including Music Man,Warwick,Warrior and higher range Fender
and Ibanez.
If you want a new bass,you can get some nice Fenders or Overwaters for that price.Ibanez and Yamaha also
do some nice instruments that are well within your budget.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1331471444' post='1573217']
if your a flea fan then surely a musicman stingray is the best bet for £650? my old one sold on here for that price or the SUB basses are incredible value for money, usually between £350 and £400.

If you want to buy new, then the sterling range retail around £600.

Ps. Didn't want to sound patronising but just incase you didn't know, flea used musicman stingrays in the early days and his sig basses have all been of similar design since.
[/quote]

this man is spot on :P

Stingray (or SUB) all the way

The SUB (Sports Utility Bass) essentially looks like a stingray, sounds like a stingray(for the most part) and weighs about half as much as a stingray. Think they were made made in Indonesia rather than California though, can't remember.... but they're pretty much the closest you'll get to a real-deal Stingray with the exception of the Ray34/35

[quote name='jazseven' timestamp='1331504804' post='1573994']
The SUB (Sports Utility Bass) essentially looks like a stingray, sounds like a stingray(for the most part) and weighs about half as much as a stingray. Think they were made made in Indonesia rather than California though, can't remember.... but they're pretty much the closest you'll get to a real-deal Stingray with the exception of the Ray34/35
[/quote]

they were made in california, because when i was looking at buying one i remember i was attracted to the sub and the highway 1 because they were american made. I'm pretty sure the only difference was the finishes on the body and neck. Also they just had the standard 2EQ in either passive or active

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1331507296' post='1574060']
they were made in california, because when i was looking at buying one i remember i was attracted to the sub and the highway 1 because they were american made. I'm pretty sure the only difference was the finishes on the body and neck. Also they just had the standard 2EQ in either passive or active
[/quote]

Ahh ok, I (foolishly) made the assumption that as the Ray34's are Indonesian then the S.U.b's [i]probably [/i]were too as i couldn't actually seen to find it anywhere online. Regardless, they're both cracking basses for the money and I know that if hadn't got my baby at such a bargain I would almost definitely opt for one of them rather than going all out for the real deal.

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1331515685' post='1574145']
i was thinking a jazz bass? any specific one to look out for?
[/quote]

in short. No. There are so many on the market and around your price bracket the quality control differs greatly between individual instruments. You can either try lots out in shops or take a risk buying without trying.

Now I've seen the vast market, I'm considering selling my telecaster, in which case my budget would go up, could someone enlighten me towards the differences?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-70s-jazz-bass-3-colour-sunburst/20364

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-standard-jazz-bass-2011-brown-sunburst-maple/53133

Baffled!

The 70s is a cracking bass, very good quality, and very cool looks. The difference from a players point of view is that the neck is, although Jazz sized, quite deep, so feels more substantial, and the bridge pickup is nearer to the bridge, so when using this pickup, more 70s funky sounds are available.

Having had Fenders Mexican Classic basses, both the 70s Jazz, and the 50s Precision, they are way better in terms of build quality and playability than the Standard mex range (in my opinion, of course).

Worth taking a look at this Warwick? (someone had to do it!) I don't know why they're so cheap second-hand at the moment - they retail for loads more. I play a Corvette too and it rocks! With the spare cash you expand your rig a bit ;)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170619-warwick-corvette-german-made-mid-90s-l260/page__pid__1574534#entry1574534

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1331596520' post='1575741']
Worth taking a look at this Warwick? (someone had to do it!) I don't know why they're so cheap second-hand at the moment - they retail for loads more. I play a Corvette too and it rocks! With the spare cash you expand your rig a bit ;)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170619-warwick-corvette-german-made-mid-90s-l260/page__pid__1574534#entry1574534"]http://basschat.co.u...34#entry1574534[/url]
[/quote]
Jesus Christ.