Why become a member? ×

Another Promethean Clone?

Matt P

Errr..Calling electrical experts.

There maybe another minor difference between the Promethean and the RS/HB clones.

Have a look at Musky's translation link on Page 1 and Wateroftyne's pics on P.6. Look at bottom right of pictures. The TDK magnetic ring (for EU, US, FCC UL certification etc) seems to be missing on the clones. I wouldn't think that's an expensive part but isn't it something to do with interference?

Can it be retro-fitted?

Can anyone confirm, elaborate or both?

Balcro

Edited by Balcro

Looking at that translation link and seeing it also has a combo speakon socket as well as per/post switching it looks as though the beta aivini would be the best of both worlds -top components and a cheap price.

Sure we could do a bass chat group buy anyone interested/know who to contact?

Incidentally did my first gig with the HB head yesterday. Still not convinced its as powerful as the Promethean had gain and master at about 2 o clock but it did the job and sounded much better than in rehearsals no clipping and blasted an outdoor stage. Really Cut
through when the boost switch is engaged.
Indoor in a pub tonight I'll see how it performs there. Not 100% yet but so far so good.

I would be interested in a group buy of one of these - I am on the verge of buying a HB 500, but I'll wait to see if this plan transpires first.
Somebody will have to organise payments and shipping etc. and there would have to be a considerable saving to make it worthwhile.

Anyone?

People saying the HB is quiter and not a lively, the colour control is off in he fully-clockwise position. You probably know this, but maybe not.

So I need an amp until the GK MB Fusion 800 comes out. Can you use an extension speker with the combo? TBH I could get a hell of a cab second hand for the £80 or so you pay to have the combo over just the head.

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1337333742' post='1658208']
I was kinda joking. Not sure we'd get 100 folks together. Logistical nightmare too.I would be intrigued to know how much you'd save though. Would take ages to ship that quantity from China too.
[/quote]

Look into it for the head only, and confirm the minimum order... then see.
I'd easily give up the price of a good night out on the piss for a "Basschat" special (even just to have as a spare :D) and I'm sure so would many more.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1337335400' post='1658263']
People saying the HB is quiter and not a lively, the colour control is off in he fully-clockwise position. You probably know this, but maybe not.

So I need an amp until the GK MB Fusion 800 comes out. Can you use an extension speker with the combo? TBH I could get a hell of a cab second hand for the £80 or so you pay to have the combo over just the head.
[/quote]
Yep you can run an 8 ohm extension off the combo to get the full 500w at 4 ohms

I'd been thinking of running the head with a small cheap cab but haven't seen anything for £80 that would be as good as the one that comes with the combo

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1337250488' post='1657719']
Errr..Calling electrical experts.

There maybe another minor difference between the Promethean and the RS/HB clones.

Have a look at Musky's translation link on Page 1 and Wateroftyne's pics on P.6. Look at bottom right of pictures. The TDK magnetic ring (for EU, US, FCC UL certification etc) seems to be missing on the clones. I wouldn't think that's an expensive part but isn't it something to do with interference?

Can it be retro-fitted?

Can anyone confirm, elaborate or both?

Balcro
[/quote]
Very easy and cheap to retro fit. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=ferrite+clamp&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1337361268' post='1658886']
Very easy and cheap to retro fit. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=ferrite+clamp&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359"]http://www.ebay.co.u...d=p3286.c0.m359[/url]
[/quote]
what does it actually do and is it just a clip round the cable job?
cheers
Bri
second gig with the HB in a pub with low ceiling and lots of carpet. sounded ok to me but band said they liked it and could hear it clearly so far so good...

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1337435883' post='1659943']
what does it actually do and is it just a clip round the cable job?
cheers
Bri
second gig with the HB in a pub with low ceiling and lots of carpet. sounded ok to me but band said they liked it and could hear it clearly so far so good...
[/quote]
It filters high frequency noise in the same sort of way inductors do. Clamps like the one used on the Promethean simply pop straight on to the cable, but should be a reasonably snug fit for the best results.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1337439812' post='1660054']
It filters high frequency noise in the same sort of way inductors do. Clamps like the one used on the Promethean simply pop straight on to the cable, but should be a reasonably snug fit for the best results.
[/quote]

Hi Musky,

Does it stop noise coming in to the amp or noise going out to other devices?

Balcro.

Just done a gig with my HB as a head on top of my old 2x15s. It sounded bloody brilliant, it is a keeper.
However, I did notice the wiggliness of the power socket. I may use gaffa tape on it :)
(BTW, I turned everything off except the bright and boost switches at the front end, had the low and high controls pretty much flat, gain at about 12o'clock and master at about 12 o'clock. Loud as loud needs to be and proper old school P-bass sound coming through,
Yay.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1337473291' post='1660677']
However, I did notice the wiggliness of the power socket. I may use gaffa tape on it :)
[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1337165931' post='1656394']
I thought the same about the mains lead. The plug does go in, and it works, albeit wobbly... and if it's knocked, it goes off.
But then I realised it's just a good, old-fashioned tight fit. You need to give the plug a good old push, which clicks it in another 5mm or so. if you do that, it locks rock-solid.
[/quote]

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1337468033' post='1660629']
Hi Musky,

Does it stop noise coming in to the amp or noise going out to other devices?

Balcro.
[/quote]
They stop the noise, mainly RF signals, going out to other components in the circuit. They're filters rather than shielding.

It's not the cable being pushed in enough, it's the entire power socket/fuse/switch assembly which wiggles a bit.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1337211739' post='1657336']
As you can see, the power assembly is held in place by plastic tabs. There is some play in mine, but I'm not bothered about it, I'm confident that the assembly will stay in place. If it bugs me then I'll get the glue gun out.

[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

just returned my HB Ba5110c to thomann (just got an orange Terrror bass and loved it-it seems my hunt for a new head is over :-) that said i still maintain that they (and the other clones) are a top piece of kit, very useable and practically unbeatable at the pricepoint.
my fav was the Ibanez but id still be intersted in a Beta aivin