Why become a member? ×

MANOWAR

mentalextra

Joey used to play modified Rics (and an EB3, s well as his Veilette-Citron 8 string)but as the Talkbass thing says, I think this is complete custom (there's an 8 string as well). He sold a lot of his old stuff; sadly I didn't get any of it.

I've met him a couple of times and he sent me a tape once (which I still have) in response to a letter I sent him asking about his gear, influences etc. Great bloke actually, and far more normal than his image suggests. FWIW, I love Manowar. First went to see them in '84, thinking they'd be hilarious so would be worth a watch. They were absolutely awesome.

In the 80s his sring gauges were 40, 50, 60, 70. At the time he played a lot like I did (or rather vice versa). I'm a bit slower these days!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I saw them at the Glasgow Appollo in about 84 and they were loud and completely over the top, sticking swords in the stage at the end of the gig.

There was a clip on Ya Tube where Joey and the manager were at an outdoor gig on the continent somewhere and they were testing the pa. It was only putting out something like 140 db and their contract states that the pa must put out something mental like 145 db and unless the pa was upgraded, they were not going to do the gig!

That`s what you call real men.

Or people who are really deaf.

Edited by jezzaboy

Yeah i remember seeing them at Milton Keynes Woughton Centre around the mid 90s, we could hear some weird jangly sounds when we pulled up at the venue, that was Joey soundchecking his bass and all the glass windows in the aluminium frames were shaking...

Then when we got inside the ceiling tiles started coming down during the gig due to the insane volume!

Metal!!!!! \m/