Why become a member? ×

Injuries with bands?

leftyhook

I'm sat here with a bandage on my right hand.
Underneath, between my thumb and first finger are some stitches.
Why? I forgot my protective gloves while carrying band gear. A nice big drum- stand box and a bass bin nip the flesh in that area, creating a 'hole' that wasn't very big, but bloody and ugly.
Band member:..." what you done? Daft bugger, where's your gloves?"
he was right. no sympathy deserved. been doing it long enough.

following day, 2 1/2 hours in casualty. stitched. that night, playing on stage, stretching for notes, 2 stitches come out. (my fingerboard hand) now it wont heal very neat.

What injuries have you suffered for your art??

You have gloves?!?!?

I stood on a mousetrap digging some drum stands out of the rehearsal room's storage - that was nice, and unique surely. Normally it's the singer's flailing arms which cause issues.

Everything else is self-inflicted. A quick game of roshambo inflicted some mid-rehearsal casualties last week.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1328226930' post='1524260']
....What injuries have you suffered for your art??....
[/quote]

[size=4]Only injured pride...[/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]Oh and back, ears, shoulder, wrist and sanity.[/size]

All my injuries have come whilst on the job, but from no-one involved with the band. I had roadie from another band on the bill run over my foot in his van and shattered my large toe (hasn’t been the same ever since). I had a one of dozens of homemade pyro’s that was created by the sound engineer at a venue in Belfast hit me on the back of the head because it wasn't tied down correctly and left me concussed (my guitar player also had half of his hair burnt whilst standing too close to one). My leg went through the stage at the Miners Institute, Blackwood and spent the rest of evening at the Royal Gwent to stop the huge amount of blood I was losing because I cut through a massive vein. I have a deep 5 inch scar on my right leg as a result. The cheeky swine’s at the venue expected me to pay for the repairs!

Years ago I was loading our trailer - being the only one in the band that seemed able to stack equipment so it didn't fall over, damage anything, or cause the trailer to sit at an odd angle afterwards. Anyway, I'd had a few glasses of pop during the course of the night, and when I came to load the huge & heavy Traynor head I had at the time I managed to dump it down next to one of the PA cabs - trapping the tip of my middle finger on my right hand between them i.e. my main 'plucker'. This crushed the tip of my finger, split it open, and resulted in a trip to A&E for four stitches and a tetanus booster.

It took a few weeks to heal, but a lot longer before I could play again without pain. On the upside though, scar tissue is great for hardening up your fingertips.

I had a glass, Grolsch ashtray thrown at me during a gig many [i]many [/i]years ago, which hit me on the side of the head, luckily it was just a glancing blow, and no real damage was done. I was the singer at the time, and reached for the bass player's Aria ZZ bass and threatened to shove it sideways up the arse of the perpetrator, who sadly, failed to come forward.

Broken finger under a bass bin.
Nearly broken leg falling off a stage and using my leg to try to prevent it. Error.
No sick days on tour..
Caused a broken tooth and split lip of singer by smacking a double bass into his mic stand...
multiple black eyes and head eggs caused by walking into lighting apparatus cunningly designed as nothing.
Not too bad really.

Not to me but some fighting punters fell against a poorly balanced PA Cab that then tumbled upon them mid-fight. Needless to say we just carried on playing and watched the carnage unfold.

Oh yeah, girl singer got in a fight with the bouncers in one place. Her boyfriend was being aggro'd by the bouncers so she just leapt on one of them off of the stage. Again we carried on playing.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1328284351' post='1525005']
Not to me but some fighting punters fell against a poorly balanced PA Cab that then tumbled upon them mid-fight. Needless to say we just carried on playing and watched the carnage unfold.

Oh yeah, girl singer got in a fight with the bouncers in one place. Her boyfriend was being aggro'd by the bouncers so she just leapt on one of them off of the stage. Again we carried on playing.
[/quote]

That, my friend, is the pinnacle of professionalism! :D

A punk band we were playing with brought down the PA and smashed the headliner's guitar amp.. Gimps the lot of them.

Ive read every one. some funny, some wince-worthy. Oh how we really do suffer for our passions.

My split hand is nothing compared to being squashed up against a wall by a partially deaf van driver.
I was watching him back to a fire door when he failed to hear me shout "stop!" several times. he kept on
reversing until i was trapped between the van and a wall, I just began to feel my intestines making their way to my
'rear end' ( I kid you not, worst feeling ever) when the drummer appeared at the exit door and ran shouting at the driver.
I had to sit on a soft ring for a while after that, and I swear it's the cause of my occasional bad back problems.

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1328285196' post='1525019']

That, my friend, is the pinnacle of professionalism! :D

A punk band we were playing with brought down the PA and smashed the headliner's guitar amp.. Gimps the lot of them.
[/quote]

How charming :rolleyes:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1328356616' post='1525878']
How charming :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Me, or the band?

As for myself, I've never had any injuries with the band, although the rhythm guitarist did manage to shred his strumming hand on a pickup selector switch that had lost its plastic tip..

In one band I used to play for both me and the guitarist regularly had dried blood from cut fingers on our scratchplates at the the end of gigs. He took to not cleaning it off which got nasty pretty quickly.

Edited by rOB

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1328360113' post='1525932']

Me, or the band?

As for myself, I've never had any injuries with the band, although the rhythm guitarist did manage to shred his strumming hand on a pickup selector switch that had lost its plastic tip..
[/quote]

The punk band, of course!
You may be charming too, but I don't have information to base my judgement on :lol:

Edited by mcnach