Why become a member? ×

iBass Magazine - I won't be buying it again !

The Dark Lord

Why?

Well, it was okay, but could have been better given the media options available.

However, when I criticised IMHO a rather lame "Bass Chat Competition" they rather hurriedly put on here, they blocked me from commenting again without even talking to me.

Hey guys at iBass, if you don't want to here what I say, then I don't want to hear what you say.

Don't go on forums if you can't handle critique.

Had it been done transparently with clear and concise communication I'd agree with the 'not venting frustration' thing.

But as a [url="http://www.h2g2.com"]moderator myself[/url] I think people are well within their rights to publically rant when a disproportionately heavy-handed decision is made with no explanation given.

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1327781777' post='1516800']
Had it been done transparently with clear and concise communication I'd agree with the 'not venting frustration' thing.

But as a [url="http://www.h2g2.com"]moderator myself[/url] I think people are well within their rights to publically rant when a disproportionately heavy-handed decision is made with no explanation given.
[/quote]but given that there is no explanation given by the OP, its difficult to condone his post.. no idea what link you just gave us?

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1327777078' post='1516693']
Why?

Well, it was okay, but could have been better given the media options available.

However, when I criticised IMHO a rather lame "Bass Chat Competition" they rather hurriedly put on here, they blocked me from commenting again without even talking to me.

Hey guys at iBass, if you don't want to here what I say, then I don't want to hear what you say.

Don't go on forums if you can't handle critique.
[/quote]

Have to agree with bubinga5.

PM would be best to resolve the issue properly. A one sided rant is just as cowardly and unfair as their supposed blocking of your comment.

Two rights and all that jazz...

Edited by skej21

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1327778076' post='1516715']
why dont you email them, instead of airing your personal frustrations on BC...cant see anything positive coming from it
[/quote]
Well, they didn't email or PM me ...... and, as I purchased one of their editions, I'm what you call one of their customers. They just blocked me. Tells me all I need to know.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1327782472' post='1516810']
no idea what link you just gave us?
[/quote]

Well, first clue is gained by clicking on it. Second is considering the context in which I gave the link. I liked from the text "moderator myself" as that is the site on which I am a moderator, partly as a shameless plug but mostly because I'm demonstrating that I know what the hell I'm talking about. A good moderator communicates when they remove something or block someone, regardless of the content of the posting. In fact, I don't care about the content of mercuryl's post... the point is that there was no communication from the moderator who did it, thus poor moderation practices. Good moderation practice means an email or PM is sent, explaining exactly what rule was broken, and providing an immediate point of contact for any appeals, objections or even just saying "okay, it's a fair cop" (which does happen).

Yes, the best method of dealing with a moderation issue is to directly contact the moderators, but when those moderators can't be arsed to make the contact in the first place, which is entirely their responsibility as a person who has been moderated should never have to ask why, I think the moderatee is perfectly entitled to have a public moan about it.

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1327857949' post='1517749']

I liked from the text "moderator myself" as that is the site on which I am a moderator, partly as a shameless plug but mostly because I'm demonstrating that I know what the hell I'm talking about. [/quote]

Yet you link to external sites without communicating to other users what the link is and whether it's safe or not? Whilst also showing that you're only interested in a shameless plug hidden under the guise of pseudo-concern for the OP.

Not exactly a great example of your moderating/communication skills IMO, not that you're a moderator here anyway so it's irrelevant.

Regardless of the opinions expressed by us and the OP, there is still no-one from ibass to defend their actions so this discussion should be done privately or with sides involved.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1327859691' post='1517788']
Yet you link to external sites without communicating to other users what the link is and whether it's safe or not? Whilst also showing that you're only interested in a shameless plug hidden under the guise of pseudo-concern for the OP.

Not exactly a great example of your moderating/communication skills IMO, not that you're a moderator here anyway so it's irrelevant.

Regardless of the opinions expressed by us and the OP, there is still no-one from ibass to defend their actions so this discussion should be done privately or with sides involved.
[/quote]

:) This whole thread is full of poor communication isn't it.

Okay, so the context was a bit obscure, but I would see no reason to mark whether a link is 'safe' or not unless it was actually 'unsafe'. It's not like I'm some teenage troll.

The 'shameless plug' was a throwaway comment and I trusted people to make the distinction between 'partly' and 'mostly' enough that they can tell that it wasn't the larger part of the reason behind my posting of that link.

And yeah, maybe all that isn't a great example of my moderating/communication skills... I was kind of relying on the rest of the post for that. But hey, this is the internet, why address an entire argument when you can just cherry pick little bits of it?

Err... no moderator has done anything in any way connected with this thread (apart from i know one moderator entered the competition).

It looks like iBass didn't give the competition much thought and clearly don;t know how best to use a forum. Not everyone does. Perhaps they just made a mistake.

I didn't think any mod had done anything. I think that the OP in the iBass competition decided to silence me after I made IMHO relevant comments.

But look, I don't care. Forums are for free speech and opinions. If iBass want to silence people whose opinions they don't like, then that's okay by me.

If I said anything that bad, a mod would have dealt with it - but I didn't. Just thought others would want to know how they acted in this matter.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1327871238' post='1518098']
I didn't think any mod had done anything. I think that the OP in the iBass competition decided to silence me after I made IMHO relevant comments.

But look, I don't care. Forums are for free speech and opinions. If iBass want to silence people whose opinions they don't like, then that's okay by me.

If I said anything that bad, a mod would have dealt with it - but I didn't. Just thought others would want to know how they acted in this matter.
[/quote]
How have they silenced you? You don't appear very silent.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1327864690' post='1517920']
Err... no moderator has done anything in any way connected with this thread (apart from i know one moderator entered the competition).

It looks like iBass didn't give the competition much thought and clearly don;t know how best to use a forum. Not everyone does. Perhaps they just made a mistake.
[/quote]
Where is this competition? I might want to enter.

I'm a bit confused, did they silence you without contacting you in a thread here on BC or on their own website? Either way it's rarely a good idea to upset your customers, even if they somtimes would deserve a good bashing (hypothetically speaking, no reference to your issue at hand). I'd assume iBass will sort it out.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327874503' post='1518187']
What on earth is this thread about?
[/quote]

Glue sniffing i think.
In fact BC has gone a bit wobbly today.
In another thread that has been locked,
Billyapple has offered to drop Happyjack a line. [post #105]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1327859691' post='1517788']
[/quote]

Im not sure where the blocking was done, or how or why, (I gather it was on their forum?) countless times people speak bad word of someone's product or a manufacturer's or publisher's actions that appear all over the place and the defendent, so to speak, isn't always available to speak to defend them selves, so why should this guy's dislike of ibass be any different?

Freedom of speech and all that.

All though I agree his dislike of ibass magazine is a little unjust as the actions were done by someone probably outside of ibass. This thread and the OP should have directed the dislike towards the moderator who blocked him without no notice and no comms.

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1327861259' post='1517832']
Okay, so the context was a bit obscure, but I would see no reason to mark whether a link is 'safe' or not unless it was actually 'unsafe'. It's not like I'm some teenage troll.[/quote]

The web has been dumbed down a lot in the last ten years. People don't like links using semantically-relevant phrases any more because they can't understand them. I got a bollocking once for using <sitename>@mydomain.com to register for a forum - they accused me of trying to impersonate the administrators.

Too many cretins online now.

However, when I criticised IMHO a rather lame "Bass Chat Competition" they rather hurriedly put on here
[/quote]
Can we have a link please?

they blocked me from commenting again without even talking to me.
[/quote]
Blocked you how, from where? And what was it you said, because after all we might agree with iBass and not you - we have no way of knowing.