Why become a member? ×

Fender or Fodera.?

bubinga5

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1327777980' post='1516714'] Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Fender? [IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/cbacki.jpg[/IMG] Or Fedora? [IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/poshreviewfedora.jpg[/IMG] Tough call. [/quote] :D

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1327777576' post='1516707']
good god man youve got too many great basses!!! i would use the 73 jazz... how come we never see pics of these beauties? or have i missed them?
[/quote]

Thanks Andrew - I've just been really lazy about taking pics of my basses recently!

The '73 is lovely, bit heavy (but not as heavy as the '79!).

Shame my latest purchase hasn't arrived yet - '63 Jazz, all original apart from a refinish, in the original colour, seafoam green:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24576162@N00/6777453395/"][/url]

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1327777358' post='1516705']
I know where your coming from, but its a shame to blame Fodera, for your own opinions on what you like about bass in music... some incredible bass lines are played on them...
[/quote]

Well, that's not much of a backlash! :lol:

It's not just Fodera tbh - and I doubt the company could give a rat's ass as to what I think about them!
This is just another thread about personal preference, isn't it?
Personally I just happen to prefer basses with four strings that are shaped like a Fender P. No big deal.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1327778680' post='1516730']
And this is the Monarch the Fenders are up against:
[/quote]

I'm sorry - I'm sure it plays like a dream, but I don't like the shape, I don't like natural wood finishes, I don't like P/J pickup configurations, I don't like 2+2 tuner headstocks and it's got too many switches!

Apart from that it's very nice. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327779149' post='1516746']
I'm sorry - I'm sure it plays like a dream, but I don't like the shape, I don't like natural wood finishes, I don't like P/J pickup configurations, I don't like 2+2 tuner headstocks and it's got too many switches!

Apart from that it's very nice. :lol:
[/quote]

Lol - the shape is actually great for long gigs, just kina feels 'right' after you've played it for a while.

I'm also not blown away by the wood on this one, looks very '80's to me.

The switches are actually really simple & surprisingly useful.

1 is a mute - either off or on, no in between settings

1 is active / passive, very slight volume boost in active mode but still very usable passive

1 is neck / both / bridge

It has individual volume controls for each pickup but I find the ability to just flick the switch to the neck only P works really well, combine that with another fast flick to passive and you go from a fairly modern sounding bass to a good approximation of a P in seconds - perfect for functions band stuff when you suddenly need an older school Motown or funk sound :)

Overall it's much mellower in sound to any of the modern Foderas I've tried so maybe not as far away from Fender as something like an Anthony Jackson Imperial Presentation model :lol:

I've played a lot of basses over the last 38 years and I keep coming back to the P-Bass.
There must be a very good reason for this! Haven't played a Fodera though tbh. I wouldn't mind a go on one. ;)

But I like the fact the P-bass has one pickup, one volume and one tone control, which I always have on full whack.
My ideal P-Bass would have no controls at all and I'd use a Neutrik SILENT jack.

I make all my tone and volume adjustments from the pre-amp.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327780417' post='1516780']
My ideal P-Bass would have no controls at all and I'd use a Neutrik SILENT jack.

I make all my tone and volume adjustments from the pre-amp.
[/quote]

That's no use, no use at all. The guitarists will immediately see that you've turned up and take the opportunity to try to reach '11' again.

For stealth volume increases, you absolutely MUST have a machined aluminium knob with no numbers showing.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1327782180' post='1516807']If I could pick any it would be one of those 60s slabs as used by Entwistle.
[/quote]

Ah, the legendary uncontoured 1966 Slab Precision. Made for the UK market, about 20-25 or so still exist. Funny you should mention it, I only just bought this book on the subject: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender-Bass-Britain-Slab-Bodied-Precision/dp/1438946627/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327787088&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co...27787088&sr=1-1[/url]

Edited by discreet

On the basis that Fodera, like any custom shop can source any old Fender part from old instruments/ebay, I'd get Fodera to build me a custom bass, with the nicest bits off the nicest Fenders (and other brands) I could find. I reckon Fodera could build a Fender better than Fender ever could anyway, unless you think certain build imperfections are part of the 'charm,' in which case you could just get Fodera to build those in deliberately through master craftsmanship, rather than get Fender to build it accidentally through incompetence.

Edited by dc2009

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1327789449' post='1516942']
...I reckon Fodera could build a Fender better than Fender ever could anyway...
[/quote]

You may be right. To this end I'm having a custom P built, which I'm hoping will be more Fender than Fender...
Edit: Not by Fodera, I may add! :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327779149' post='1516746']
[/quote]

I agree entirely, except if it has the same tone Victor Wooten gets, then I'd doubt it plays like a dream either!!! :P

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1327790088' post='1516951']
I agree entirely, except if it has the same tone Victor Wooten gets, then I'd doubt it plays like a dream either!!! :P
[/quote]

:lol: Well, I didn't want to be [i]too[/i] down on it!
I'm sure it can produce multiple tones, as stated. Each to his own, and all that.
I wouldn't mind having a go on it. I'm not [i]entirely[/i] prejudiced. Probably only about 98%, I reckon. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1327789449' post='1516942']
On the basis that Fodera, like any custom shop can source any old Fender part from old instruments/ebay, I'd get Fodera to build me a custom bass, with the nicest bits off the nicest Fenders (and other brands) I could find. I reckon Fodera could build a Fender better than Fender ever could anyway, unless you think certain build imperfections are part of the 'charm,' in which case you could just get Fodera to build those in deliberately through master craftsmanship, rather than get Fender to build it accidentally through incompetence.
[/quote]yep your right.. Fodera... doing the master builder thing on a fender 75 jazz bass.. now were talking.. that would be serious jazz bass

I've never played a Fodera. I have only seen two or three of them.

I have never played a Fender which was fantastic, though. That's why I took the Warmoth route when I felt I needed a vintage style jazz five string.

Given the choice and with the criteria in the initial post, I'd go with a Fodera five string but end up longing for a Fender.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327789635' post='1516944']
You may be right. To this end I'm having a custom P built, which I'm hoping will be more Fender than Fender...
Edit: Not by Fodera, I may add! :P
[/quote]

Quite. I said Fodera because they were the OP's choice, but the same could be said for any custom luthier who has sufficient skill/experience/access to rare timbers. :)

It would have to be the Fender, more to it, my Fender Precision. Finish on the neck is wearing, scratchplate cut in two by a previous owner due to dodgy electronics (since fixed), dodgy orginal bridge, it is mine. I would sell everything, Vigiers and all, before I would sell that.

If I did not have that sentimental value though, I really don't know. Probably the Fender still, the Fodera's just are a bit 'wow' looking for my taste. The looks just wouldn't sit with my grumpy personality!