Why become a member? ×

Cheap bass expensive parts?

Phil-osopher10

Hi,

Looking over at TB There is a lot of love for Sadowsky's and I read that review in BGM about the will lee model. Now I have a little Gas, but £2000+ for a bass is a lot of money (maybe one day). so my question is this, If I got a say £200 pound squier or something that played well, could I upgrade the pickups and pre amp and have basically a sadowsky? or is there a lot more to it than that?

I've got one of the older preamps and it makes all my cheap old Fenders sound a lot like Sadowskys:

[url="http://www.sadowsky.com/media/support/library/pdf_reviews/preamp_3_4_91.pdf"]http://www.sadowsky.com/media/support/library/pdf_reviews/preamp_3_4_91.pdf[/url]

I reckon it's a good starting point. You can get onboard ones too if you like to fiddle with your tone during a gig.

There's some mileage in buying a cheap bass and doing it up I reckon. But pickups are only skin deep. If anything they're the last thing I'd be looking at. First thing you can do is look at preamps, something like John East, Aguilar or Sadowsky. Following that I'd look at the hardware itself, maybe a nice heavy bridge like a Gotoh or a Badass II. You can change the heads too if you want, I had a chinese Tokai for a time and didn't really feel the need to. Set it up to your preference with a set of decent strings, and then you're on a good road. And you'll have saved quite a bit, especially if you get bits second hand. Pickups are your choice really, I find with jazz pickups, my MECs on one Warwick and EMGs on the other sound exactly the same. And bog standard J pups work pretty well too :)

At the minute I play a Warwick Thumb 5 and it is a lovely bass. But I'd love a nice jazz as well, as a second bass and something a little different as I want to have a 4 string as well and love the look of the Will lee and DJ!

Definitely getting a good setup on the bass is a must, after acquiring the thumb I soon knew what a setup/good setup was and my playing improved dramatically (at least I think it did)

Would it be better to try and buy on here second hand in a pot luck sort of way ie. the bass may not fit or would it be wise to try local music shops and wait till something a little bit better than the rest comes along?

It's been proven by another thread over on TalkBass that in a mix a all that really matters is the pickups and the electrics and then the EQ'ing. Things like build quality and wood do come into it but in a mix? I'm not so sold.

My basses are nice, but better sounding than cheaper equivalents. A £60 setup by a pro usually helps things that plays nasty, and most luthiers will sort out dodgy frets for a few quid more.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1327516382' post='1512781']
At the minute I play a Warwick Thumb 5 and it is a lovely bass. But I'd love a nice jazz as well, as a second bass and something a little different as I want to have a 4 string as well and love the look of the Will lee and DJ!

Definitely getting a good setup on the bass is a must, after acquiring the thumb I soon knew what a setup/good setup was and my playing improved dramatically (at least I think it did)

Would it be better to try and buy on here second hand in a pot luck sort of way ie. the bass may not fit or would it be wise to try local music shops and wait till something a little bit better than the rest comes along?
[/quote]

In my opinion there are jazz basses for sale here, now, that would set me up with a jazz for life.... for a lot less than 3k.... I think I am talking myself into buying one..... :)
Another question... how many sadowskies you played? I was so looking forward to trying them but on playing them..... hmmm, guitar guitar in glasgow has a wall of them including the will lee model if you want to try them out....

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1327521835' post='1512921']
It's been proven by another thread over on TalkBass that in a mix a all that really matters is the pickups and the electrics and then the EQ'ing. Things like build quality and wood do come into it but in a mix? I'm not so sold.[/quote]

Yep, I agree totally. If you can get the sound you want, and are playing a bass that works for you, it doesn't matter if the bass is cheap as chips as a chunk of wood and some metal bits. And only other (snooty possibly) bass players in the audience will really take any notice, and maybe not at all if they don't know what you were playing when recording a track.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1327532171' post='1513129']
I haven't tried one yet, but I will! I have a guitarist friend who played a taylor and everytime he uses his acoustic is slightly disheartened as 'it's not a taylor' and he's not one for being snobby and a phenominal musician. So I think the playability must be awesome!
[/quote] I used to run the sound at church- one of the guys got a taylor, I dare say he is happy with it but in the mix it was the worst guitar I've ever had to work with.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1327502266' post='1512427']
Hi,

Looking over at TB There is a lot of love for Sadowsky's and I read that review in BGM about the will lee model. Now I have a little Gas, but £2000+ for a bass is a lot of money (maybe one day). so my question is this, If I got a say £200 pound squier or something that played well, could I upgrade the pickups and pre amp and have basically a sadowsky? or is there a lot more to it than that?
[/quote]

You might love the sound, and preamp, but you can't seriously gauge the playability from an article. Find a cheapish bass that plays as nicely as you are willing to spend on it, and then drop the different electronics into it if you prefer them.

I think it is worth doing. If you have a bass you like and are comfortable with then upgrading it can be fun and interesting. I did that with a Westone Thunder Jet - which is built incredibly well but sounded rather thin, cost me £77 on eBay. I put a high mass Gotoh-a-like bridge on it, hotter pup, J.East preamp (it was passive before) and it has opened up the range of sounds immensely. All of which cost considerably more than the bass! When I get fed up, as I inevitably will, I will put it back to stock for resale and sell off all the bits. I'll take a hit on those but not as much as selling the pimped bass complete. I accumulated most of the bits secondhand, so if you aren't in a hurry that is possibly a way forward?

Oh the joys of second hand gear. I am slightly ashamed to say that the only thing in my arsenal that was bought new is my leads (Thanks obbm) So I'm prepared to wait a while!

Regarding the playability in the article, I was mostly drawn to the fact it was a stunning bass, vain I know but it does help. I also like the fact it has a slightly smaller body than the jazz, though apparently this gives a little neck dive, but hey i'm used to the thumb!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1327521835' post='1512921']It's been proven by another thread over on TalkBass that in a mix a all that really matters is the pickups and the electrics and then the EQ'ing. Things like build quality and wood do come into it but in a mix? I'm not so sold.[/quote]

Disagree completely. If this was the case, bass forums wouldn't exist.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1327521835' post='1512921']
It's been proven by another thread over on TalkBass that in a mix a all that really matters is the pickups and the electrics and then the EQ'ing. Things like build quality and wood do come into it but in a mix? I'm not so sold.

My basses are nice, but better sounding than cheaper equivalents. A £60 setup by a pro usually helps things that plays nasty, and most luthiers will sort out dodgy frets for a few quid more.
[/quote]
[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1327523561' post='1512963']
Yep, I agree totally. If you can get the sound you want, and are playing a bass that works for you, it doesn't matter if the bass is cheap as chips as a chunk of wood and some metal bits. And only other (snooty possibly) bass players in the audience will really take any notice, and maybe not at all if they don't know what you were playing when recording a track.
[/quote]

Cant agree with this at all I'm afraid. Theres to many variables. Eg, the next pocket : sustain, scale length : tension, conductivity of the "metal parts", fretboard construction and stability etc, etc.

Upgrading parts can greatly improve a bass. A mate pimped a VMJ with new Barts, Gotoh hardware etc and it sounded great. Surely better than a stock Mex Fender. Would it sound better than a Jap fender with the same upgrades?
IMO no because the overall quality of the build is way better.

Edited by Mog

Theres a great thread on TB that has been mentioned on here where a guy records a US Jazz vs a block of wood with strings on. Yes, literally a block of cheap wood - he sourced the cheapest wood that he could find. And guess what. Hardly anyone can tell them apart :D Well worth checking out.

If it were me i'd spend money on a decent amp - some great books and a few lessons from a proper bass teacher. Thats how to sound and play better. There are some guys here that use £100 basses and sound great.

Yeah. How a bass sounds amplified is mostly about pickups, electrics, strings and the amp! Anything is else is marginal at best.

Most difference will just be about playability, comfort and construction stability and what impact that has on the player and thus their sound, rather than a direct correlation.

Crap bass and nice amp vs nice bass and crap amp? I know which one I'm going for.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1327599151' post='1514053']
Yeah. How a bass sounds amplified is mostly about pickups, electrics, strings and the amp! Anything is else is marginal at best.

Most difference will just be about playability, comfort and construction stability and what impact that has on the player and thus their sound, rather than a direct correlation.

Crap bass and nice amp vs nice bass and crap amp? I know which one I'm going for.
[/quote]

I know what you re getting at, but with the same strings on, played unplugged my two basses sound like chalk and cheese. How do you account for that difference?
And then when amplified that difference is heightened and flavoured by other different things- but unplugged they sound nothing like each other- same strings, put on the same time....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327601165' post='1514096']
I know what you re getting at, but with the same strings on, played unplugged my two basses sound like chalk and cheese. How do you account for that difference?
And then when amplified that difference is heightened and flavoured by other different things- but unplugged they sound nothing like each other- same strings, put on the same time....
[/quote]

How often do you play electric bass without it amplified?

What they sound like acoustically has little effect on how they sound amplified when compared to the pickups, electrics, strings and the amp itself.

Though I agree, what they sound like acoustically does have a marginal effect. Especially if you know it and you're looking for it.