Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB 200 - can't believe how good it sounds

nottswarwick

Tom Bowlus has mentioned on talkbass:

"I am not sure if you guys have heard yet, but beginning in February, production on all GK models is moving back to the Stockton, CA facility. The last day of production in China was 12/31.@

Impressive and bold move. I think they may have had enough of the problems they had with the earlier MB2500, and the teething problems the MBE cabs have had.

I'm still interested in the MB800...nothing on Polar Audio's site though.

Is it feasible to use the extra channel for a slap only sound and then switch between the two as and when you need it?

I have never owned a two channel amp you see!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1327145459' post='1506897']
The MB500 is basically the same amp as the MB200 but with some extra switches to play with and of course the extra channel. The MB Fusion has a valve pre and a few more controls. I can't remember what's added/removed on each off the top of my head but it'll be up on GK's website.

I'm REALLY tempted to get an MB200, they're so small it'd be easy to put it in a gig bag and forget about it, then if anything ever does happen, there's a head sat there waiting to be used.

Notts, I have a fair old pile of GK gear (as per sig), if you ever want to play with a fusion and have a comparison, you're welcome to pop round sometime and have a twiddle.
[/quote]

When I started looking for a micro head the GK thing was kind of off the radar, but I noticed them and got one. The Fusion is an exceptionally nice piece of kit, and for the record while driving a cab that is less than super efficient it had empirically more grunt than the Aguilar TH500.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1327253399' post='1508394']
Is it feasible to use the extra channel for a slap only sound and then switch between the two as and when you need it?

I have never owned a two channel amp you see!
[/quote]

It depends on the amp and what you want to be different between the two channels.

Technically the MB500 and Fusion probably don't really cound as 2 channel amps, they just have two gain structures whilst keeping the same EQ, contour etc. If you just want to nudge the volume one way or the other for slap, they'll be fine. If you want a different EQ then they won't be able to do it. I find GK's stuff is great for slap anyway, I play it a bit and I've never had to change anything for those sections. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327262243' post='1508580']
New product video. The new looks is much more in line with the styles that are popular today.

MB800 and MB800 Fusion both there, but no demo.
[/quote]

Ah, they're the MBEs. They're probably trying to make them obviously different to the NEOs since they look very similar at the moment. Phew, at least that won't affect me. ;)

I wonder if the new MB heads are going to be the same as the smaller heads with more power or if they'll have extra features.

I like the look of dem MBE Cabs!
I like them alot!
I'm going to up my amp a little later this year, and was hoping to go for a very light upright 2x12 with a micro head.
A 212MBE with an MB500 or a MB500 Fusion might be just the trick! :)

Anyone tried the MBE Cabs? Are they up to task, or should I save up for a better cab?

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327348030' post='1509793']
Eude - I'd wait til the new USA made ones hit the UK :)[/quote]

Ah, bit will they be more expensive?
At the current price point, they're incredibly tempting...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327357469' post='1510051']
I doubt it will be much, and I think the quality will be much better. Not due to the fact its in USA but because Gallien has more control over it.
[/quote]

Cool, thanks for the input mate :)
Have you had any experience of these cabs, or know of anyone who has?...

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327358947' post='1510100']
I've heard the price point is great, but some of them aren't made so well...bit of a gamble. BUT, I think thats part of why they have changed to manufacturing near their head office.
[/quote]

Cheers for the advice, just skimmed some fairly lenghty threads about the MBE range on Talkbass.
Seems they have all the same drivers as the equivalent in the NEO range, but without the biamp facility (where appicalble), and the NEO has a high quality horn and crossover vs the piezo tweeter in the MBE.
They're assembled using the same grade of ply, the NEOs built and braced for strength and the MBEs built for lightweight.

You're right about the QC on the current models though, for every thread about how good the cabs are, there's several moaning about build problems and modding them, adding in acoustic wadding to deal with boominess, can't find a single complaint about the NEO cabs though, seems they're regarded as very high end kit :)

I'll hang fire for the US made MBE cab, which suits me fine as it'll be a few months before I'll be in a position to do anything anyway...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1327431849' post='1511174']
Can't say i've seen many issues with build quality of the MB heads, only the cabs. The three MB heads which I've used (I still have 2) were all absolutely spot on. But I would expect the QC to be tighter in-house :)
[/quote]

Yup, nothing but good things regarding the MB Heads and the NEO Cabs, just seems some of the MBE Cabs have been a little off.
Having said that, perhaps folks are expecting far too much from what is basically a fairly budget range of cabs.

I'm pretty much sold on a 212MBE Cab, as it's exactly what I had in my tiny mind, but wasn't aware of anyone who made one that I could afford.
The tricky thing now is, what head should I get to go with it?
Are these cabs best with a GK head?
My favourite tone previously was a LittleMark 250 into an Aggie GS112, but I want a bigger, louder one cab solution, without gaining loads of weight or size. Would a LittleMark speak nicely through a GK cab, or would it be sensible to go for an MB500 or Fusion head?...

I've got plenty of time to figure this all out of course. Perhaps I should go bother Mark at Bass Direct one afternoon.

Eude

Wow, the quality of the combo fit and finish looks much higher! Check this picture, (flush corners, recessed handle, etc!).

[url="http://bassgearmag.com/uploads/gallery/resized_NAMM2012Day1_167.jpg"]http://bassgearmag.c...012Day1_167.jpg[/url]

http://www.bassgearmag.com/uploads/gallery/resized_NAMM2012Day1_166.jpg

It even appears to have GK a GK logo recessed into the wood. Very similar to a Berg AE finish.

Edited by Musicman20