Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB 200 - can't believe how good it sounds

nottswarwick

I think the problems with the MBE range are maybe a bit overplayed. People rarely speak up if they're satisfied with gear compared to if they're having problems. The MBEs aren't perfect but they are VERY cheap for what you get and if you do have a fault it can be sent back and replaced.

Eude, there's no reason you should use a GK head with the cabs unless you like the sound of them. In saying that, I love the tone of the GK heads so I would personally take a look at them. Bearing in mind they're designed with the same idea in mind, it'd be good to take a look anyway because they're going to work together.

MM20, I know what you mean, they do look good quality. I don't see the recessed logo though, where are you looking?

If they're moving to the US with production and they're obviously going to be made to a better standard, I assume the price will rise. I'll have to send an email to my contact at Polar at some point and ask.

eude - I`ve used the GK MB500 with a variety of cabs, namely Eden, Hartke, Peavey and Schroeder. To my ears, it worked best with the Peavey and Schroeder, though that`s not saying it didn`t sound good with the other two. Bear in mind, 2x12s will push approximately the same amount of air (for want of a better description) as 3x10s, so the GK 212 should be fine as a standalone cab. I was quite tempted by the Neo 212(Thomann have sound samples), but found my Schroeder on here, so got that instead.

Thanks for your input guys!

I've always been interested in GK gear, but only ever played through combos at gigs.
I'll definitely check them out when my credit card finally burns a hole in my pocket!
I'll be sure to check out some different combinations of heads/cabs too, the designer in me likes things to match up though ;)
One thing's for sure though, I'll certainly be going for a 2x12, or maybe 2 1x12s, love the sound of them 12s :)

Cheers,
Eude

Just wanted to add that I'm very pleased with my MBE cabs, after a little hiccup at the beginning of the journey....
See here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164618-new-gk-210mbe-cabs-from-thomann/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164618-new-gk-210mbe-cabs-from-thomann/[/url]

It's early days but I think I am liking the Genz Benz head through them [i](over the GK1001RB)[/i] ...although both sound good..
Either way, for the money them MBE's are awesome cabs..... :)

As others have pointed out, the 212MBE and the NEO212 are very similar cabs, I can use my MB Fusion and one NEO212 at gigs, I prefer using two cabs for the height and a bit extra power, but I've never been let down by only using one. Personally I think the NEO cabs are really good value, the MBEs with their lower price and similar build (although lower quality) are maybe even better if you get a good one.

If anyone can't find anywhere that stocks the NEO, RBH, RB or MB Fusion stuff and is thinking about buying, gimme a shout if you're going to be around the Notts/Derby area or if my band's gigging anywhere near you (there's a list on the "Tour" page of our site in my sig) and I'm sure we can work something out so you can give my gear a whirl (obviously time allowing, if it's at a gig). :)

Ah well spotted MM20, I didn't see that.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1327154071' post='1507083']
Good work Dave, you won't be disappointed methinks :)
[/quote]

Mines just arrived but a bit of the polystyrene packing is missing/broken and there is no user manual. Did you get one with yours. Also a lot of dust on the knobs which indicates that it's been sitting somewhere out of its box for a while. Not plugged it in yet. Awaiting a response from Thomann.

Do those of you using this for DB plug in directly or via preamp. I know Keith (Mr-Bassman) plugs in directly. I got my MB200 this week and with my set up (Planet Wing piezo, Wizzy cab) it sounds thin and scratchy with lots of finger noise when on flat settings and without going through my usual DB preamp. I am wondering if its just my pickup is not particularly compatible as I've heard nothing but praise from other DBers. I can of course use it with my preamp but its just that I've seen others (eg Keith) mention plugging in direct.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327586956' post='1513794']
Sounds like a returned item or display?

I'm sure Thomann will jsut ship another :)
[/quote]

Hope so. Just realised that it wasn't in a plastic bag either.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys apologies for reviving the thread, but still stressing over my first 'gig' rig.

Just bought a v cheap Laney 115 (200 watts 8 ohms) from the For Sale forums and still struggling to decide what best to pair it with.

My budget is V limited and considering all the good press you guys are giving the MB200, how crazy do you think it would be to use as my main head?

Loud enough with the 115 + PA?

We play a lot of open mics as well and it would be great to just take in my back pack and then plug straight into the PA, is this realistic?

...these 'problems' really shouldn't stress me out as much as they do

Nice one. They are very loud aren`t they?

With my MB500, into a single 2x10/1x12 cab, I can`t have it on more than 9 o`clock on volume, and that`s with all eq set at midday. If I try any more than that, it just decimates the rest of the band - and we`re a punk band, so not quiet.