Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB 200 - can't believe how good it sounds

nottswarwick

Just been doing a bit of rig testing, and blow me, this little head is ACE. Big, deep, clear and loud, into me EBS neo 212, awesome. I prefer it to my HD350 - which is only a tad louder, and obviously sounds ace, but not as pillow-like and comfortable as the GK.

Has anyone compared it with the more powerful MB500? Does the 500 sound as good as this little monster?

Also, what do folk think to the MBE cabs - specifically the 4 ohm ones (2*12 and 1*15 and 4*10).

I might have accidentally stumbled upon THE SOUND for me. The fundamental produced by the MB200 is one of the nicest and clearest I have ever heard....lol haha and I've had a few rigs, as you will note in that "first rig" thread...

As per my "other" tentative thread about my EBS gear, I am tempted to ditch the HD350, possibly the cab, and go all GK.

What say you, wise people?

Chris

Edited by nottswarwick

Think it needs 4 ohms really though, to be actually loud. In my garage it was MASSIVE. I have not actually gigged it myself yet, but it was used on a gig when I was on guitar, and the bassists LKM exploded. I pulled it out of my gig bag (much to everyones piss taking at actually having a bass amp with me at all lol), and it sounded great.

I shall be using it on my forthcoming gigs.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1327074669' post='1506100']

As per my "other" tentative thread about my EBS gear, I am tempted to ditch the HD350, possibly the cab, and go all GK.

[/quote]

If it works with the EBS cab, don't change it.

The MB200 is an amazing amp; I have happily gigged mine (into uber sensitive Barefaced cabs) and drowned out the rest if the band ;) Brilliant back up head and good enough to persuade me to swap my main amp from Eden to GK (MB Fusion, also a killer amp!)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1327075174' post='1506106']
I can't answer your question but I am very glad to see your post as I have just ordered an MB200 this very afternoon for the princely sum of £206 (SoundsLive) :)
[/quote]

:o Just when i had convinced my self i didn't need to buy an amp (currently amp/head-less atm) you had to tell me how good this is, and how cheap!

The MB500 is basically the same amp as the MB200 but with some extra switches to play with and of course the extra channel. The MB Fusion has a valve pre and a few more controls. I can't remember what's added/removed on each off the top of my head but it'll be up on GK's website.

I'm REALLY tempted to get an MB200, they're so small it'd be easy to put it in a gig bag and forget about it, then if anything ever does happen, there's a head sat there waiting to be used.

Notts, I have a fair old pile of GK gear (as per sig), if you ever want to play with a fusion and have a comparison, you're welcome to pop round sometime and have a twiddle.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1327147880' post='1506941']
what are the neo cabs like, in comp with the RBH cabs? I might just take you up on that Thom
[/quote]

The NEOs are brighter, the RBHs are thicker sounding. I've not had a problem getting any sound I want from either, both cabs can do deep and rumbly or bright and spanky. It's been a while since I compared them directly though, I always use the RBHs with the 2001 and the NEOs with the MB Fusion and the heads sound quite different too, hmm, I might try the 2001 into the NEOs tonight for a change...been meaning to try it at a gig for a while.

Throw me a message if you fancy popping over. :) I'm in Long Eaton.

Edit: If that's what GK are gonna look like in the future, I might have to buy spares now. Jeez they're ugly.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

That's probably what I don't like about them hehe. The RBH cabs are big black monstrosities with metal grilles and they look like they mean business. I'm not as keen on the silver grilles on the NEOs but at least they're fairly unique and you can tell from a distance just by looking at them what they are.

The black box with a little logo and cloth has been done a million times before and I just don't find it interesting. I'm sure they'll still be amazing cabs, I'd guess by the sizes they're the NEO range, hopefully the RBHs will stay the monsters they are currently.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1327154071' post='1507083']
Good work Dave, you won't be disappointed methinks :)
[/quote]

That's what i'm hoping. I'll use it with two SL112s in a band I've just joined.

Edited by obbm