Why become a member? ×

People like SH*T

Prime_BASS

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1326064154' post='1491948']
This is a great example of why audiences for bass soloists are usually just a bunch of f***ing boring ***** who wouldn't be able to spot music if it squeaked in their ear. Why do you think we have so much trouble selling music. One out of ten of those sea-lioning charmless chickens will buy his album and the rest will just pleasure themselves to the youtube videos. They will all queue up after this clip to shake his hand and lick his sweat. Pathetic. Wooten has diminished in my estimation for exploiting these poor people of their money, just so they can suck on some Wooten-finger.
[/quote]

Interesting angle.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1326062063' post='1491890']
The piece Wooten is playing in the video in the OP is a snippet from a live version of this - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve37F3Ee9Ow[/media]

You might not change your opinion of whether you like it or not, but it's only fair that you see it in a decent quality.

The video you posted initially is bloody awful and would make any bassist sound sh!t IMO.

Level playing field for basing your opinion :)
[/quote]I've watched this video dozens of times. It never ceases to amaze me. It's just beautiful and soulful music and a lovely composition. I'm not a VW follower. I don't have any records. Just know him from Youtube and that led me to read his book The Music Lesson.

I do recognise that when you do Bass Clinics for a living, people (bass players) will want to see you do pyrotechnics. And those are the bits that people will record on their camera phones and post on YT unfortunately. A lot of his observations on music are inspiring and make a lot of sense. I wish there were more of these on YT to balance out the flashy stuff.

Victors great, so he does clinics, earns money, what's the problem.
He has got an audience that buys his stuff, people want it, he supplies it.
If people can't sell their Music, it's simple, no fecker wants it.

He does the odd Barn dance gig as well for money.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlpFA5BbuU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlpFA5BbuU&feature=related[/url]

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1326066950' post='1491984']
Victors great, so he does clinics, earns money, what's the problem.
He has got an audience that buys his stuff, people want it, he supplies it.
If people can't sell their Music, it's simple, no fecker wants it.

He does the odd Barn dance gig as well for money.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlpFA5BbuU&feature=related[/media]

Garry
[/quote]

The questions surround the athletics audience, and perhaps dear Victor's monetary exploitation of their needs.

People do like S**t, but singling out VW, compared to all the X factor rubbish, seems bizarre to me!

I'm not very familiar with his stuff, but that clip with clear sound is great. That 'fast stuff at the end' makes total sense in the context of the piece. Listen to Liszt, Rachmaninov, Paganini, Mozart, even back to Bach and you hear that sort of concluding climactic pyrotechnic element occurring time and again. I'm not saying VW is their equal, but that he's approaching the bass in this piece as a vehicle for solo musical expression and compositional development and the music ebbs and flows accordingly. The fact that you can also use the bass to lay down a solid groove is neither here nor there really.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1326068347' post='1491992']
People do like S**t, but singling out VW, compared to all the X factor rubbish, seems bizarre to me!

I'm not very familiar with his stuff, but that clip with clear sound is great. That 'fast stuff at the end' makes total sense in the context of the piece. Listen to Liszt, Rachmaninov, Paganini, Mozart, even back to Bach and you hear that sort of concluding climactic pyrotechnic element occurring time and again. I'm not saying VW is their equal, but that he's approaching the bass in this piece as a vehicle for solo musical expression and compositional development and the music ebbs and flows accordingly. The fact that you can also use the bass to lay down a solid groove is neither here nor there really.
[/quote]

We know Victor is a fabulous and immensely musical bassist. The questions surround the athletics audience, and perhaps dear Victor's monetary exploitation of their needs.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1326068620' post='1491996']
We know Victor is a fabulous and immensely musical bassist. The questions surround the athletics audience, and perhaps dear Victor's monetary exploitation of their needs.
[/quote]

Not sure I get what you're saying. Athletics? Also, are you complaining about a musician playing for money?

In the first clip, he seems to be playing pretty well it's just distorted on the mic. More importantly though, the recording obviously starts most of the way into the music. Start listening to a Bartok sonata 9/10ths of the way through and that makes no sense whatsoever either

[/quote]

Or maybe he's just doing what he's been paid to do, just like in a normal job.

We know Victor is a fabulous and immensely musical bassist.
[/quote]

Do we really know that?
I think I must have missed that part of my education.
This clip might not be a great example, but all I'm seeing is a guy playing a couple of riffs up the dusty end and bashing the sh*t out the rest of his instrument.

It's almost like Tracey Emmin has been giving bass lessons... :unsure:

Oh man, the Victor Wooten debate again.

He plays that stuff at clinics to sell gear, he plays it in the middle of solos at shows for people that think fast=good.

The important thing to remember when Victor is doing this, when he plays it, he Grooves all the way through, no matter how quick, how many notes, how many muted notes are in it, mistakes etc.... he grooves through it.

For a completely different side of Wooten, Ari's Eyes, not a single slapped note in site, just a lovely melody with an extremely tasteful solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVh5Lurpdxs

I look forward to the day that bass players can accept that this stuff happens, some enjoy it, some don't.

Itks not so much that he does the punching of his bass, its the people that like it.

While I'm not classically trained and probably know nothing about composition, but those fast bits are totally cold, void of any feeling and happen randomly towards the end. Coupled with the punching, it jst makes me want top listen to JLS, or some equally processed tosh that the producor and marketer have decided everyone likes.

I like to think I know my way around a bass but if I, or you, started smacking muted strings people would think its sh*t and that I'm crazy. However because this guy had 1 or 2 success and is supposedly talented he gets away with it.

Then we get into the psychology of being in a crowd.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1326097122' post='1492084']
I'll clap the tube driver this morning then, when I arrive at my destination. If he's working.
[/quote]

Seems like the audience has a harder job than I'd previously anticipated. Surely 1.20 of badly recorded iphone video is not an ideal platform on which to make a judgement unless we'd all been there to see the rest. Maybe he'd played amazing stuff for the previous hour. People do afterall, get into the habit of clapping.

I gave up trying to understand the public a long time ago as I've had issues ever since I started playing live. French audiences especially will appreciate whatever you do, good or bad and I'm one of those that will analyse a performance after a gig. It's been a long haul getting some band members to see past 300 people clapping and dancing when we'd played like crap.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326096785' post='1492078']

I like to think I know my way around a bass but if I, or you, started [i][size=5]smacking muted strings[/size][/i] people would think its sh*t and that I'm crazy.
[/quote]

so now you think mark king, marcus miller, flea and larry graham are sh*t too :P

I'll clap the tube driver this morning then, when I arrive at my destination. If he's working.
[/quote]

I remember when Cud reformed for a few shows in 2007, their bass player said it would be encouraging if in future people could come to his office each day and applaud him every three minutes.

The crappy sound in the first video making it seem crappy is why you should be nice to the sound engineer when you gig. In a band, the hitting stuff guy hits stuf more to build intensity. Solo, if you are the hitting stuff guy, hitting more stuff is a valid way to build intensity.

I am sure most bass players can see a good player in Wooten- if not a brilliant one. I remember one clinic he did ( online ) when he was talking about showing off and said if you did this backing Beyonce you basically would be sacked! He knows what people want at his clinics- if you see him in a band setting-other than the solo spots where he has to twiddle like his life depended upon it- he has forgotten more about grooving than most of us on this forum know.

You can blame the audience- I`m sure if they were giving great feedback at his more musical excursions we would see less of the super speed muted slap funkery he is (in) famous for.

[/quote]

I believe holiday makers arriving at Luton airport from Benidorm, clap the Pilot when he lands.

Garry