Why become a member? ×

People like SH*T

Prime_BASS

1 minute and 20 seconds of someone not playing music and then everyone claps........
[url="http://youtu.be/FFhYEQVfhOo"]http://youtu.be/FFhYEQVfhOo[/url]

Why do people like that stuff.
I'm no Victor Wooten fan, but I don't hate on the guy, this just came up on my youtube during today.
I think even if the video and sound quality were amazing, it would still make me hate it.

Discuss.

The piece Wooten is playing in the video in the OP is a snippet from a live version of this - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve37F3Ee9Ow[/media]

You might not change your opinion of whether you like it or not, but it's only fair that you see it in a decent quality.

The video you posted initially is bloody awful and would make any bassist sound sh!t IMO.

Level playing field for basing your opinion :)

Edited by skej21

people clap for things they cant do. Like when people put sticks of fire down there mouth (or anything on Britains got talent). Most of its no impressive and completely useless. However, most people clap to appreciate the fact they cant do it and it would have taking the performer x amount of time to build the skills to do it

so you are a world famous bass player, selling records, selling shows and yeah... but then these bass players, maybe off a forum or something, come up and offer to pay you to play at their bass clinic. What do you do there? well the last one about grooving and being a good musician didn't really excite people... so you ask your famous guitarist friend what he would do.... 'ach give em the guitar w***ery, that normally works'
so you do and they love it, and stick it on youtube so more people want you to do that slap stuff....

having seen the second video, its clearly being used as a way of adding direction to the song. He's building tension by adding new layers and textures to the song before dropping back into the melody. Its a clever way of doing so with just a bass guitar imo and i think it suits the context great. Otherwise the song would be incredibly boring after 30 seconds

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1326061771' post='1491881']
Regardless of what you think of his slap stuff (by his own admission its just pyrotechnics), watch his tutorial DVD 'Groove Workshop', guarantee you're opinion of him will change.

Si
[/quote]
+1 to that. A fantastic DVD.
Funnily enough Nigel Clutterbuck is in the same position. He did a fantastic session at the last Bass Day and admited that he does all the slap because that is what people expect of him..... He is a really great player and teamed up with a superb drummer a lot of people were saying he was better than Marcus Miller. I completely changed my views on him and was man enough to tell him...
Didn't get me any free strings though. :D

I could be wrong but I'm guessing that as he's standing in front of a Hartke rig with a big Hartke banner behind him, he's doing a clinic or gear demo of some sort and there to impress the punters with some pyrotechnics and I assume he's being paid for it. Bit unfair to judge his playing on that if that is the case. It's probably just the bit that pays the mortgage.

I've seen him three times live and this is not what you get. You get tastefull and well constructed bass playing.

I doubt that Nigel Clutterbuck stands in a pub and plays 8,000,000 notes per second either (assuming he's in a band that is)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1326062063' post='1491890']
The piece Wooten is playing in the video in the OP is a snippet from a live version of this - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve37F3Ee9Ow[/media]

You might not change your opinion of whether you like it or not, but it's only fair that you see it in a decent quality.

The video you posted initially is bloody awful and would make any bassist sound sh!t IMO.

Level playing field for basing your opinion :)
[/quote]

but I dont think it really needs the fast sections during the closing measures. To me its got no feeling and it essentially ruins the piece. What is a somewhat mellow and pleasant tune becomes a cock display. All those string hits with no cuase.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1326063117' post='1491928']
the fact that his video has made it into a thread just because of the last sections shows how important the slap thing is for his publicity, gets people talking
[/quote]

I realise people like different stuff. One man's chalk is anothers cheese or whatever.

I would honestly walk away disinterested if I was at bass clinic if some crazy guy started effectivily punching his strings on stage, even more so if people cheered.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326061519' post='1491875']
1 minute and 20 seconds of someone not playing music and then everyone claps........
[media]http://youtu.be/FFhYEQVfhOo[/media]

Why do people like that stuff.
I'm no Victor Wooten fan, but I don't hate on the guy, this just came up on my youtube during today.
I think even if the video and sound quality were amazing, it would still make me hate it.

Discuss.
[/quote]
This is a great example of why audiences for bass soloists are usually just a bunch of f***ing boring ***** who wouldn't be able to spot music if it squeaked in their ear. Why do you think we have so much trouble selling music. One out of ten of those sea-lioning charmless chickens will buy his album and the rest will just pleasure themselves to the youtube videos. They will all queue up after this clip to shake his hand and lick his sweat. Pathetic. Wooten has diminished in my estimation for exploiting these poor people of their money, just so they can suck on some Wooten-finger.