Why become a member? ×

New rig time.. choices and opinions requested

Machines

Gigged my Ashdown rig last night and it dawned on me that it's too cumbersome and heavy compared to some more modern offerings. It's a 300w Ashdown ABM (13KG) into a single 250w 8ohm cab (28KG).

I have a budget of ~£600 (maybe a bit more if I trade the head in) - here are my options:

Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0/6.0 + GB 210T-XB3
TC Electronic BH500 + BC210
EBS Reidmar + Classic 112 cab

I'm fairly inexperienced with rigs compared to instruments and the differences between them (stereotypical ones that is) I am unfamiliar with so would be interested if anyone could add the experiences of them :)

Hi Machines.
If you're looking for lightweight, the new Class D style amps are the way to go. (incidentally most of these all use the same Bang & Olufsen power stage - so its all down to what you prefer in terms of preamp). It might help to know what sort of sound you're after i.e clean & crisp or dirty & growly.

Having said that, I've owned a few rigs over the years and I can pretty much get the sound I want from most of them. I can recommend the Genz Benz, but some say they can be a bit clinical (I've put a Mullard valve in the pre of mine) and I drive the valve pretty hard in the preamp to get a sound that works great for me. I haven't tried the TC. I found the EBS stuff I tried lacking in low end punch and a bit sterile personally. All of these are well built and widely used though. Best thing is to try them out if you can - only you know what sort of sound you want to get.

Only experience with those is the Shuttle when I A/B'd it with a Streamliner 6 into amy Barefaced Super12.

Great amp with loads of options but I went with the Streamliner (that I had gone with a view to buying anyway) as it had the warmth I wanted more easily. The Shuttle sounded good, was by comparison the brighter of the two and more transparent/glassy, just too much so for what I wanted.

The GB's are, I believe, the only ones that have a low pass built in that works like the Thumpinator and takes out the sub harmonics that stop large speaker excursions without adversly affecting the overall sound

Edited by WalMan

I'm getting an EBS Reidmar and two Classic 112's. The reason is it gives a lovely warm tone. In some ways, I can imagine the Ashdown gives a similar full warm tone. I have had the Shuttle 6 and Shuttle 9 and they were both great giving a nice clean detailed sound but lacked a little something. I also had the Genz Benz 212 cabs which were horrible. Very coloured and not my cup of tea.

As has been said, best to go and try them all.

If it were me, with your budget I'd keep your existing ABM head for now and buy a Barefaced cab. Alex will advise you which is best but I don't think you can go wrong with a Compact. That immediately solves the weight problem as 13kg for a head isn't a back breaker. Then upgrade the head as and when you have more funds.

I think the choice of amp is so subjective that you would be best advised to try as many as you can. I had a shortlist of heads I wanted to try, with the Orange Terror Bass being the #1 contender and with no intention of trying a Genz Benz 6 as I didn't think I would like it. When I tried them, I didn't like the OTB yet was blown away by the clarity of the GB. In the end I favoured the warmer sounds of the TC Classic 450 - very impressed with the tubetone and compressor - but another person could easily think the opposite.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1326015641' post='1490925']
Gigged my Ashdown rig last night and it dawned on me that it's too cumbersome and heavy compared to some more modern offerings. It's a 300w Ashdown ABM (13KG) into a single 250w 8ohm cab (28KG).

I have a budget of ~£600 (maybe a bit more if I trade the head in) - here are my options:

Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0/6.0 + GB 210T-XB3
TC Electronic BH500 + BC210
EBS Reidmar + Classic 112 cab

I'm fairly inexperienced with rigs compared to instruments and the differences between them (stereotypical ones that is) I am unfamiliar with so would be interested if anyone could add the experiences of them :)
[/quote]

I guess it comes down to the budget V expectations
These options seems like very good practice rigs to me... but with the built-in upscale facility of adding another cab for quite a loud gig.

Depends what the gigs is as well.

Ok..I have trouble getting a single 12" to be enough. I wish it wasn't so, but for me, it really doesn't work..

But out of your choices..I fancy the look of the EBS set-up. on the basis of another thread, as I haven't heard it.. and it looks fantastic, the price seems reasonable
and an additional 1x12 would not cost a bomb..

Not sure about the 250watts tho...as you'd need to run 4 ohms to get that

Hi Machines i was having same problem with my ampeg rig great sound but back breaking so i bought a ashdoown combo but still back breaking iv tried all sorts and ended up with a workshop full of amps and combos but then i came across a markbass 2x10 combo and all my troubles where over.I gigged it the other night and the drummer thought he was building a shed both guitarist with mega big rigs but my markbass cut threw them no probs . I didnt believe how good they were till i tried one and after the gig guitar in one hand the combo in the other . Try one out you may be suprised. Hope you get sorted cheers mate.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1326020248' post='1490998']
If it were me, with your budget I'd keep your existing ABM head for now and buy a Barefaced cab.
[/quote]
My ABM is the wide version (same width as ABM900) so a normal 210 cab has to be horizontal rather than vertical meaning a larger footprint, I prefer the idea of a cab being on it's side and thus taller (i'm 6ft 2 so higher is better).

If you don't mind not having the latest model, check out the Genz sale at Bass Direct. I would pickup a Shuttle 9.0 and trade in your amp/sell it to get the rest for a cabinet. You could get the Shuttle 6.0 12T combo (I bet Mark would be happy to do you a deal on one...but they are currently £799).

If you don't want to spend that much, pickup a Shuttle 6.0 and add a cabinet...whichever you like basically.

For value for money/resale value/power, the current Shuttle's for sale are very hard to beat.

Or, if you don't mind the size/weight, that TC BH500 is great but I'd perhaps go for a more expensive cabinet, (the BC cabs are their budget cabs, and I wouldnt personally go for a cheap cabinet).

There is also the TC RH450/Classic, and you can add an RS cabinet. Thats more money, but well worth it.

Personal opinion. You cant go wrong with some markbass gear. If you dont mind second hand stuff, you can get MB at a fraction.
Due to the flat response it doesnt matter what "your sound" is as you get out what you put in.

As far as needs in terms of loudness, a lot of the neo 2x12's out now will go quite a bit louder and sound better than ABM (not a muddy, better definitioin around the mids.)
Just because a cab is looked to be designed horizontal doesnt mean you cant stack it vertical.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1326024926' post='1491115']
Just because a cab is looked to be designed horizontal doesnt mean you cant stack it vertical.
[/quote]

Except if the head overhangs it by 3 inches each side... and won't sit still ! I'm not a fan of Mark Bass, unfortunately. Too, erm... orange.

I think current favourite is the Shuttle 6.0 Reidmar is a close 2nd with my reservation being on the upper limit of 250w - will than be enough into 8ohms ? I've played with the Shuttles all day at Bass Day 2008 so am fairly familiar with them.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1326025733' post='1491142']
Except if the head overhangs it by 3 inches each side... and won't sit still ! I'm not a fan of Mark Bass, unfortunately. Too, erm... orange.

I think current favourite is the Shuttle 6.0 Reidmar is a close 2nd with my reservation being on the upper limit of 250w - will than be enough into 8ohms ? I've played with the Shuttles all day at Bass Day 2008 so am fairly familiar with them.
[/quote]

Definitely try the Reidmar if you can before passing it because of the 250 watt rating. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised!

I have just sold my two Ashdown cabs a 210T and a 115 for a BF Compact (Midget on its way to make up the rig) which I ran/run with a GK MB500 amp. The Compact on its own is awesome and will be absolutely fine for pubs/clubs etc. maybe even a Midget on its own. My whole rig (amp and 2 cabs) will then weigh just 23kgs.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1326039806' post='1491410']
I have just sold my two Ashdown cabs a 210T and a 115 for a BF Compact (Midget on its way to make up the rig) which I ran/run with a GK MB500 amp. The Compact on its own is awesome and will be absolutely fine for pubs/clubs etc. maybe even a Midget on its own. My whole rig (amp and 2 cabs) will then weigh just 23kgs.
[/quote]

The compact is amazingly loud!
the midget too is very surprising, done a few gigs with a midget with no PA, and it barely broke a sweat. (I say gig, in a massive hall full of people sitting down and watching politely)

After more research the Reidmar is currently top of the list... probably with one Classic cab for now. The Shuttle 6 entices me with it's hybrid valve preamp but I know I can emulate that through a pedal if required. The EBS setup just looks so portable and i've seen a lot more positives about EBS than GB.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1326098693' post='1492104']
After more research the Reidmar is currently top of the list... probably with one Classic cab for now. The Shuttle 6 entices me with it's hybrid valve preamp but I know I can emulate that through a pedal if required. The EBS setup just looks so portable and i've seen a lot more positives about EBS than GB.
[/quote]

Good choice sir. Don't discount the MarkBass stuff also as it is very good. I am getting the Reidmar and Classic setup like you but may still keep my MarkBass combo as it is so damn good.