Why become a member? ×

New 2012 Fenders

dan2112

If they used the money that they spend on new models, and spent it on product quality control, across their basic range. they'd stil make the same proffit, but have a better name for themselves. I mean do they really need to advertise or bring out a dozen new models every year.

Concentrate on the stuff your good at, is what I say.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1325916352' post='1489791']
They look ok... But why are Fender so obsessed with white pickguards?
[/quote]
+1
Each guitar looks utterly cool in my opinion. In terms of looks, I'd choose that basses instead of plain black body with white pickguard anytime. Oh, and the neck of P loos simply awesome.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1325936559' post='1489981']
If they used the money that they spend on new models, and spent it on product quality control, across their basic range. they'd stil make the same proffit, but have a better name for themselves. I mean do they really need to advertise or bring out a dozen new models every year.

Concentrate on the stuff your good at, is what I say.
[/quote]
If that was the case, Fender should make their basses in Japan with exact standards and pricing as in 1985-1995 :D

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1325937626' post='1490008']
Reckon anyone looking at these would be more tempted to go the Suhr, Lull, Anderson route
[/quote]

You would think so wouldn't you?
But the bottom line is many people would rather have the F word on their headstock than have a better bass.

I call them "Fendermentalists". :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325972132' post='1490652']
But the bottom line is many people would rather have the F word on their headstock than have a better bass.

[/quote]
Hell, I thought the same way one year ago. Then I bought a P-Bass to sell it to the highest bidder, but it so happened she was the best bass I've ever played. And I've tested a lot of stuff :D

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325973262' post='1490669']
Not enough, obviously. ;)
[/quote]
Yeah, I know.
But, you see, if I found a P-Bass that sounds perfect for me, I'd better keep it and stop pursuing 'even better' sound, or I'll G.A.S. myself to death. :D

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325973262' post='1490669']
Not enough, obviously. ;)
[/quote]

I am getting the impression that you aren't in the Fender cheerleading squad. I also wonder how many times you can get this point across that you have a problem with the 'F' word. Maybe Fender aren't as innovative as some other manufacturers but they know their market and they know what will sell. There are also one or two of us who are quite happy that they aren't innovative. So, yes it may be boring to someone who doesn't like Fender and their line-up of instruments. But why bother to repeatedly say it. When you see 'Fender' in the title of the thread just ignore it and don't get yourself all hot and bothered.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325972132' post='1490652']

[/quote]

What do you mean by "better bass" ? And why do I need better bass? What for? ;)
Last rehearsal I played mostly on this:

while my Fender stood near the amp, basically untouched (used only for songs where more than two strings were required).
This old wreck did the job as good as my Fender, even better because I had rounds on my P-bass while I prefer flats - this old piece of junk had two 40 (or more) years old flats. Played like a butter. More or less in tune up to 5th-7th fret.

I can play on this, I don't need Fodera ;)

EDIT:
Fender is not expected to be innovative. They tried (Dimension Bass in mid 2000's, Jaguars, Mustangs and many more back then) and they failed. P and J basses are basically two of five basses that are still in use since 50's or 60's. The other are Gibson Thunderbird and EB and Rickenbacker. There are many other great basses out there. I prefer P and J by Fender, you don't have to.
When you reach the optimal price tag, there are no "worse" and "better" basses.

Edited by mazdah

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1325936834' post='1489987']
If that was the case, Fender should make their basses in Japan with exact standards and pricing as in 1985-1995 :D
[/quote]

ahem, 1982-1995, and some of them would say squier on them....

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1325975355' post='1490702']
I am getting the impression that you aren't in the Fender cheerleading squad. I also wonder how many times you can get this point across that you have a problem with the 'F' word. Maybe Fender aren't as innovative as some other manufacturers but they know their market and they know what will sell. There are also one or two of us who are quite happy that they aren't innovative. So, yes it may be boring to someone who doesn't like Fender and their line-up of instruments. But why bother to repeatedly say it. When you see 'Fender' in the title of the thread just ignore it and don't get yourself all hot and bothered.
[/quote]

The "Wink" emoticon is used to indicate that the poster using it is being somewhat less than serious.

It's a forum, why shouldn't I repeatedly say something? It's no different to the same people repeatedly saying that they don't like "Coffee Table" basses, or Ashdown amps, or multi string basses or blah blah blah. It's just my opinion, and like most other peoples opinions it doesn't really matter. Nobody with any intelligence is ever going to not play a Fender bass if they like them because of some opinion I may hold about them.

I don't get hot & bothered, certainly not about something as trivial as a lump of wood with strings on anyway.
If my posts bother you then put me on "ignore" - I'm sure I'll learn to live with the rejection.

If you'd actually read all my posts about Fenders since I joined the forum you'd see I'm not a total Fender hater - I have constantly sung the praises of the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass as it's a bloody good quality bass, even though I'm not a fan of Jazz basses (a conclusion reached by having played them for 20 years btw). I think Japanese Fenders are consistantly well made & have recommended them time & time again. The Telecaster happens to be one of my favourite guitars. My go-to guitar at home is a Strat.

I do genuinely think that Fender USA take the piss with their pricing and the uninspired & cynical (IMO!) rehashes of their classic designs they keep pumping out, but many others seem to feel the same judging by the comments on this thread and others.

Edited by RhysP

It is probably hard for Fender to move forward as the ground is covered by a few makers..IMV..who do things way better, ..Sadowsky, for example.
A modern take on an old tried and trusted..and not half bad anyway..design,

Would I pay $2500 for a Fender..which might translate into £2500 over here, for a Fender of this class..?? hmmm, doubt it.

I know where my £2500 would go, for sure.

Why don't all you haters drop Fender emails to tell them where they're going wrong, and what they 'should' be doing?

They're clearly not selling enough basses and could do with a hand to get their sales volume up to the level of Dingwall, Sadowsky, Sandberg, etc.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325997024' post='1490849']
The "Wink" emoticon is used to indicate that the poster using it is being somewhat less than serious.

It's a forum, why shouldn't I repeatedly say something? It's no different to the same people repeatedly saying that they don't like "Coffee Table" basses, or Ashdown amps, or multi string basses or blah blah blah. It's just my opinion, and like most other peoples opinions it doesn't really matter. Nobody with any intelligence is ever going to not play a Fender bass if they like them because of some opinion I may hold about them.

I don't get hot & bothered, certainly not about something as trivial as a lump of wood with strings on anyway.
If my posts bother you then put me on "ignore" - I'm sure I'll learn to live with the rejection.

If you'd actually read all my posts about Fenders since I joined the forum you'd see I'm not a total Fender hater - I have constantly sung the praises of the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass as it's a bloody good quality bass, even though I'm not a fan of Jazz basses (a conclusion reached by having played them for 20 years btw). I think Japanese Fenders are consistantly well made & have recommended them time & time again. The Telecaster happens to be one of my favourite guitars. My go-to guitar at home is a Strat.

I do genuinely think that Fender USA take the piss with their pricing and the uninspired & cynical (IMO!) rehashes of their classic designs they keep pumping out, but many others seem to feel the same judging by the comments on this thread and others.
[/quote]

I don't think that there's anything wrong with criticism. It would just be nice if you could be a bit more innovative and not keep coming up with the same old sh*te. ;)

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325985979' post='1490820']
ahem, 19[b]82[/b]-1995, and some of them would say squier on them....
[/quote]
Sorry, my mistake. The only years I remember perfect are my year of birth and year of first Star Wars film premier. :D

Edited by Immo

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1326010316' post='1490869']
Why don't all you haters drop Fender emails to tell them where they're going wrong, and what they 'should' be doing?

They're clearly not selling enough basses and could do with a hand to get their sales volume up to the level of Dingwall, Sadowsky, Sandberg, etc.
[/quote]

Not sure I'd be classed as a 'hater' or not..
but it doesn't bother me either way, tbh. if I found a Fender that I liked then I might be interested...but then again, I'd know where else to look so ..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1326014185' post='1490897']
Not sure I'd be classed as a 'hater' or not..
but it doesn't bother me either way, tbh. if I found a Fender that I liked then I might be interested...but then again, I'd know where else to look so ..??
[/quote]

No, no.. I mean the people who whinge every time Fender release something and then harp on about what they 'should' be doing, as if Fender exists to break new ground in guitar R&D.

I never saw that beautiful "2011" Fender Custom Shop Precision Pro (a P/J with Jazz neck) on sale anywhere. The latest Fender CS catalogue for 2012 http://fendercustomshop.com/# shows this model in Olympic White (the 2011 was in sunburst) but who knows if you'll ever see one in the shops, given the seeming non-appearance of the 2011 version?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1326014469' post='1490902']
(...) the people who whinge every time Fender release something and then harp on about what they 'should' be doing, as if Fender exists to break new ground in guitar R&D.[/quote]
Exactly! Why should Fender design new extremely sophisticated basses, as they made all time classics already? I guess now they deserve to just do the experiments with new tops, different woods, weird pickup configurations ('pawn shop') and stuff like that. They've already fixed the biggest design flaws of their instruments such as slab bodies or plastic bridge saddles.

I guess the 'Select' Series are made basically for two kinds of people:
1. Those, who collect Fenders or like to try every model to find The One
2. Those, who consider standard black and white or sunburst colours as a boring configuration and dare to look diferent

I'd agree that the Fender's prices are step. However, I'd buy used Japanese Fender anyway and they come usually as a bargain, well worth the price.
The only thing that really pisses me about Fender's prices is the cost of really simple to produce genuine spare parts like pickguards, control plates or chrome covers.

Edited by Immo

Personally I'm quite happy for Fender to keep on trawling out Precisions in different colours and configs.. saves me having to take a punt on getting something custom built to see if I like it or not. This way I can just wait for the marketing iteration when Fender chooses to create what I had in mind, and buy it off the peg if it's as good as I thought and worth the money they're asking. If the money's a problem, just wait for that 'unfashionable' period between it being current and being a 'modern classic' or some such rubbish, then either buy one that somebody else bought when they were current but were too scared to take out of their bedroom and are now desperately trying to claw *something* of its value back, or pick one up in a shop clearance sale that they're willing to stand the drop on just to get it through the door and gone.

I will, however, be giving this new P a miss, partly because I think that Ps should be simple yet classy and the Select is just trying a bit too hard... and the other 99% because it's sodding sunburst ;)

Edited by Ed_S

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1326015055' post='1490912']
I never saw that beautiful "2011" Fender Custom Shop Precision Pro (a P/J with Jazz neck) on sale anywhere. The latest Fender CS catalogue for 2012 [url="http://fendercustomshop.com/#"]http://fendercustomshop.com/#[/url] shows this model in Olympic White (the 2011 was in sunburst) but who knows if you'll ever see one in the shops, given the seeming non-appearance of the 2011 version?
[/quote]
Oh, the 2011 exists! At least one person on TB owns one (it has butterbeans!), that posh bass shop in Spain had one, but it must have sold straight away, and a few of the bigger German retailers had them in. I don't imagine many were made.