Why become a member? ×

New 2012 Fenders

dan2112

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1326017949' post='1490955']
Thing is Fender have strayed away from straight P and J re hashes . The lines bombed and get pulled within a year or two.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163736-fender-jp-90/"]http://basschat.co.u...6-fender-jp-90/[/url]
[/quote]

+1. They know what is 'Fender' and stick to it. Occasionally they go a little crazy and sometimes it works (from looking at WoT's new one) but usually Ps and Js and what they know, and from trying a few of their different models (back when their QC was pretty much awful) I just can't get away from a simple American Standard P or J.

However, I definitely want to try a American Deluxe P. I really disliked the old version with the 'Fender Humbucker' (sounded naff) and the pre was harsh, but the new basses look classic with a nice modern twist.

I'll always like Fender, but I'll leave innovation to Ernie Ball Musicman (Big Al, Bongo, Reflex, etc)

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1326011218' post='1490871']
I don't think that there's anything wrong with criticism. It would just be nice if you could be a bit more innovative and not keep coming up with the same old sh*te. ;)
[/quote]

I asked for that. :lol:

I bought a so called super Jazz 5 a while back and it pretty much made my custom made bass of 18 years redundant..so I bought another J5 from the same maker just to make the switch
to Jazz configs cut and dried. It has some nice finishes, and superb detail and sounds and plays like a dream, IMO.

I can be a Fender man if they made that bass or I can be a fan of this updated take.
I kind of think Fender missed a trick when the likes of Sadowsky started getting premier work from the NY studio set.
They basically must have filled a void..????

I use the example of Sadowsky but by no means imply theirs is the defintive version.. just that most people will know what they do.
I don't own a Sadowsky, btw. :lol:

I do like a pretty bass though...but not so much the OTT quilted bodies...more solid colours these days.. but a flamed neck is nice detail.
I think the bass in the OT is a nice looker..

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325997024' post='1490849']
The "Wink" emoticon is used to indicate that the poster using it is being somewhat less than serious.

It's a forum, why shouldn't I repeatedly say something? It's no different to the same people repeatedly saying that they don't like "Coffee Table" basses, or Ashdown amps, or multi string basses or blah blah blah. It's just my opinion, and like most other peoples opinions it doesn't really matter. Nobody with any intelligence is ever going to not play a Fender bass if they like them because of some opinion I may hold about them.

I don't get hot & bothered, certainly not about something as trivial as a lump of wood with strings on anyway.
If my posts bother you then put me on "ignore" - I'm sure I'll learn to live with the rejection.

If you'd actually read all my posts about Fenders since I joined the forum you'd see I'm not a total Fender hater - I have constantly sung the praises of the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass as it's a bloody good quality bass, even though I'm not a fan of Jazz basses (a conclusion reached by having played them for 20 years btw). I think Japanese Fenders are consistantly well made & have recommended them time & time again. The Telecaster happens to be one of my favourite guitars. My go-to guitar at home is a Strat.

I do genuinely think that Fender USA take the piss with their pricing and the uninspired & cynical (IMO!) rehashes of their classic designs they keep pumping out, but many others seem to feel the same judging by the comments on this thread and others.
[/quote]

If you can't have your say on your birthday then when can you??

Happy Birthday mate..

I don't hate fender, I just wish the qc was better.
I still have 3 fenders one lives in a mates studio, its a 83 jap the other 2 are USA. And never get taken out. A squire p bass was the best p I a ever had and it cost 100 quid

Open your mind and ears There is more sounds tones and feel out there But if you want to stay with your fender than do that. Just don't get your knickers in a twist because I choose not to.

Other companies make fenders better than fender. However they do get it right sometimes, the geddy is a fantastic bass.

1600 quid for a USA jazz bass against say a Sandberg jazz for the same money and the difference in quality is very surprising.

Anyway just my 2 cents , which like most isn't worth 2 cent or even the time it took to type this.