Why become a member? ×

Best New basses for around £100-£150

la bam

Just wondering if this has ever been covered? It may be of help to many.

When I was just having a look for a spare backup bass for an emergency gig - there seems to be loads of new makes and models turning up around the £100-£150 mark.

Theres a lot of makes ive never heard of, but then well established makes such as epiphone etc?

What new (not second hand) sub £150 basses are any good? Are there any hidden gems?

Personally, Im just after a cheap backup bass, until i can finish my second custom build.

Not a lot that are truly gems.

You can get the likes of Harley Benton from Thomann and Stagg, but the reports I have heard are a bit hit/miss even considering the same model - some play excellent, some don't. You pays your money etc...

Up it to £170, and there becomes a whole host more options, from the Yamaha RBX, Squier affinity, Ibanez GSR180 etc.

But I would really consider 2nd hand. For £100-120 there are some crackers out there. Only my VMJ cost me more than £120 as this was virtually brand new, and all of my basses (all 2nd hand - see sig) play well.

You can pick up a decent Squier precision for around £80 normally, so allow £20 for a new set of strings and you have a totally reliable backup bass.

As an aside, check out the "buying your first bass" sticky at the top of this section. It covers this sort of thing pretty darn well.

Edited by fatboyslimfast

If you want new, the best cheap basses I've ever played are Staggs, especially their fretless (no idea what model, J layout). Sat with one in PMT for about half an hour, it was good enough for me to not want to put it down, and it sounded really good. Did a good job of irritating the bad slapper trying out a Japanese Jazz at full volume :lol:

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1325803877' post='1488194']
I bought a S/H Ibanez GSR190 (mint condition) from a basschatter via fleabay for £92 last year, and I have to say it's a brilliant bass! Sounds good, looks great, is light and comfortable and has a brilliant slim neck.

The Yamaha RBX is pretty good too for around £170.
[/quote]

id second that thats what ive got in a two tone sunburst it looks , sounds and plays like it is at least three times the price i got mine with a ritter gig bag from guitar guitar for £165 bargain . you could always upgrade the pickups through time . the vintage basses get decent enough write ups too but for the name and build quality the ibanez is hard to beat seriously :)

There are loads of bargains to be had second hand even if you're into different stuff. I picked up a Steinberger XT2 for £180 and a Tanglewood Curbow for £50 in this forum. Neither are your typical P/J beginner bass.

As someone said earleir, Warwick Rockbass. Great build and sound, despite the price and somewhat blander version of it's bigger brothers.
I have a fretless and it sounds more' fretless' than some much hight priced stuff i have tried.

Lok out for a s/h earlier version of the Rockbass (has the words (Rockbass on headstock) as later stuff is more expensive, albeit slightly better shape etc.

I picked mine up brand new for £180..

Pah rich boy with deep pockets.....my westfield p bass was 75 delivered new......spent an hour on set up, most of which was setting the nut height and I kid you not a very nice playable bass indeed. Super low buzz free action, and don't know why but real sweet slap tone, better than my bb414....I find that puzzling.

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' timestamp='1325756858' post='1487025']You can pick up a decent Squier precision for around £80 normally, so allow £20 for a new set of strings and you have a totally reliable backup bass.[/quote]

I got mine on here for £65!! Great neck. A set of DRs and a pickup upgrade and I have a bass that sounds and plays great for a total of about £120. What's not to like? :)