Why become a member? ×

Out of curiosity...

Silvia Bluejay

I was talking to a pianist friend the other day, and I've ended up with a couple of questions I wasn't quite sure how to reply to. I know I could google myself stupid - and in fact I've had a quick look for an answer to No 1 without much success - but I'd rather hear your voices :)

1. Any idea when the 5-string electric bass came into common use in pop/rock music?
He thought it must have been in the late 1970s or early 1980s, but I swear I've charted the bassline to several songs from the 60s that used the notes on that B string in a big way....

2. Although each string of the 5-string bass guitar covers 'only' two octaves, the range the instrument can actually play goes from its lowest B (B0) to its highest G (G4). How does that compare to the 'full' range offered by the piano?

Thank you in advance! Feel free to go off topic and/or off on a tangent if you feel like dissing the piano or the 5-string bass guitar, ranting or raving etc. :D

Edited by bluejay

The Fender V was first produced in 1965.

So I guess there's stuff from then with it. Not sure I'd call it "common use" though.

EDIT: having checked it was more usual to have a high C on one though.

Edited by bartelby

I bought a lovely little book in an Oxfam shop, called 'The Self Instructor for Bass Guitar' by Dick Sadleir. It was dated 1962.
It has a page devoted to 5 string bass guitars. I showed it to my bass teacher, and he was really surprised and intrigued to see 5 strings mentioned that far back! So they were obviously in existance then - but not in common use exactly.

Edit: Just had another look, and realised that page is about 6 strings, not 5 strings! :blush:

Edited by seashell

I would say the 5 string bass (strung B-G) started to become a regular sight with bands in the late 1980's. The first 5 string bass I remember reading about was the Wal 5 in 1986 in "Guitarist" magazine reviewed by Wal user Robbie Burns.

First time I saw one "up close & personal" were the Peavey TL5's being used by Tim Landers & Joe Hubbard at the 2nd Bass Centre Weekend in 1987 (or was it 1988?), Chucho Merchan was using a Warwick Thumb 5 in his spot at the same event.

Anthony Jackson seems to be credited with playing the first B to G in 1975 - a customised Alembic. Production models started creeping out in mid 80's. As others have said, the Fender VI and Danelectro 6 were E to E an octave lower than guitar.

Jimmy 'Flim' Johnson of Flim and the BBs/Wayne Johnson Trio/AllanHoldsworth/James Taylor fame was playing a 5-string Alembic in 1975. He got the idea from his father, also a bass player, who played a 5-string double bass with a low B (long established as the 'industry standard in Germany, I believe).

I know that Anthony Jackson is credited as 'the' pioneer of low B six strings but I suspect that this idea was a pretty natural development and several people may have explored the option simultaneously. But Flim was definately recording with a low B 5 in 1975.

As for range, the 5-string bass goes two octaves below middle C and one and a bit above (depensint on range) so we are talking around 3 octaves in toal. So the piano goes a lot further in both directions

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1325603186' post='1484958']

2. Although each string of the 5-string bass guitar covers 'only' two octaves, the range the instrument can actually play goes from its lowest B (B0) to its highest G (G4). How does that compare to the 'full' range offered by the piano?[/quote]

The bass guitar is actually a transposing instrument (sounds one octave lower than written) so in concert pitch (A440hz) middle C is equal in pitch to the C played at the 17th fret on the G string of a standard 4 string bass.

HAHA! Incidentally, many bassists are piano players too (although that friend of mine we're talking about isn't). For instance, I attended a couple of masterclasses that Stuart Hamm gave Tech Music Schools a few years ago - he is a bassist/pianist, and often draws comparisons between the piano and the bass guitar when he's illustrating a point. Fascinating.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1325606479' post='1485038']...As for range, the 5-string bass goes two octaves below middle C and one and a bit above (depensint on range) so we are talking around 3 octaves in toal. So the piano goes a lot further in both directions
[/quote]
Er, actually, the low B on a 5-string bass is (just over) three octaves below middle C. So a standard piano actually only has 2 lower notes (the Bb and the A). But you're right that it goes much higher - the 24th fret on the G string on a 5-string will be the G above middle C, whereas the piano has another 3 and a half octaves above that note.