Why become a member? ×

5 Stringers

deanbean502

There are a lot of threads on here covering this so have a search around, we have all been in that zone. I held out a long time and used an octave pedal to cover numbers with 5 strings on and as others have stated on here going up the octave is not an option as it upsets the flow.
Try a load out in the shops to get an idea what neck profile suits you best. Look at 5 string basses as a different instrument to a 4 string. A lot of manufacturers think they can shove out a bass with an extra string on it. My view is there are good five strings and un playable five strings. Neck profile and string spacing suddenly becomes very critical to whether you persevere. Many companies narrow both ends Nut and Bridge. I prefer 19-20mm at the bridge as this helped me cross over from my 4 string. Try some expensive models even if you cannot afford them when you find one you feel comfortable with, take a tape measure and take notes check out the spec and search for a similar spec in models you can afford, then compare them.
The last important thing is practise, put away the 4 and use just the 5. use the B string as a thumb rest for the first few months; you will soon be skipping around on the B for fills etc.

The biggest advantage i think is the extra range. I play with a guitarist playing an eight string resonator guitar with an open D-tuning and often find myself longing for the low D I had with my previous 6 string. I've had no problems at all shifting from 4 to 5 to 6 string basses.

The main disadvantage i think could be extra weight and, for me, a bit less comfort. Also a lot of cheaper basses suffer from bad B strings that have a completely different sound than the rest of the strings and sound like they don't really belong.

It is ALL about the low B...if that is average then the bass is pretty much a write-off AFAIC...
You'll need a decent budget or will have to know exactly what you are looking for... or get very lucky
as a decent B isn't a given on more that a few respected makers, IME..

Also, unless you are hearing things that you could do on a 5 and it is a must-have....the change-over can take a
very long time to feel really comfortable.

To begin with, there is a substantial noticable difference in low frequency power and delivery thorugh your amp between an open E and the same note fretted on the 5th fret of the Low B string.

In essence lower notes fretted on the B strings will sound more defined and will allow you to add a lot of your left hand touch technique skills such as fret muting, vibrato, stretch, pull / stop etc.

And that is the sound difference alone, however there are even more benefits by using a low B strings when it comes to ease of playing, speed and dexterity. With a low B, if you are playing a riff on the middle of the neck and you need to fret an F which you would normally find on the 1st fret of your E string, now you don't need to travel back that far up the neck you just fret the 6th fret on the low B and that's about the size of it. You get less tired and your left hand aerobics are kept in a more confined area. The transition between 4 and 5 strings becomes one of the easiest ones you'll ever have to face once you figure out the "boxes" where all your notes are and once you get used to it, you will love the convenience of doing 2 octave scales in near enough one position and the fact that your hand will spend more time in one position means that you will be able to play faster and cleaner without unwanted sliding fret noise and mock/fretted strings as a result of a jump from fret 1 to 8 or similar.

A lot of people who get used to 5 strings basses will never want to get back to a 4 strings. I would suggest you either borrow one from a friend for a week to get used to or buy one that you can return for a full refund should you realize that after all a 5 string bass is not for you. As you know with everything it's horses for courses and what might suit me might not be your thing and viceversa.

For years, the most amazing players with fantastic techniques etc have gotten by with using 4's. The only thing that has changed now is the style of music and how it is reproduced. You should go for it if the music requires it.

When I listen some contemporary rock tunes which use a 5 (or more) string, I hardly notice it as it becomes integral to the sound. But often I'll hear a piece of music in say gospel or funk styles and the bassist moves onto the B and I'll be like "oh that's a 5 string" and I find it distracting.

I experimented with a 5er in one of my bands any my band-mates were like "yes, that's the sound". There was no turning back.... well... until I left the band. :D
Then I was in a band who tuned to drop CGCF(AD) mostly, so a 5 string became utterly useless and I went back to a specially set up 4.

I've seen bassists use the B as a thumb-rest right the way through the set on a 5er and it makes you wonder.... what's it there for, the (alleged) kudos?

The transition is very easy.. unless you are one of those dearies who can't get on with a neck that's a smidge bigger or smaller than what you are used to. :D

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1325513276' post='1483779']

The transition is very easy.. unless you are one of those dearies who can't get on with a neck that's a smidge bigger or smaller than what you are used to. :D
[/quote]

That would be me. You have to remember that the strings are closer together and closer to the edge. To a greater or lesser degree it takes some getting used to. It's even more pronounced if you jump between a four and five. There is more variation in fives than there is in fours so be sure to play all you can to make sure you are happy.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1325513276' post='1483779']
For years, the most amazing players with fantastic techniques etc have gotten by with using 4's. The only thing that has changed now is the style of music and how it is reproduced. You should go for it if the music requires it.

When I listen some contemporary rock tunes which use a 5 (or more) string, I hardly notice it as it becomes integral to the sound. But often I'll hear a piece of music in say gospel or funk styles and the bassist moves onto the B and I'll be like "oh that's a 5 string" and I find it distracting.

I experimented with a 5er in one of my bands any my band-mates were like "yes, that's the sound". There was no turning back.... well... until I left the band. :D
Then I was in a band who tuned to drop CGCF(AD) mostly, so a 5 string became utterly useless and I went back to a specially set up 4.

I've seen bassists use the B as a thumb-rest right the way through the set on a 5er and it makes you wonder.... what's it there for, the (alleged) kudos?

[/quote]

+1 to that!

I played a 5 for around 10 years or so - I have still got my Jazz Bass V (and would never sell it) - it was my first "proper" bass & has the Kubicki preamp (sounds great), I also had a Streamer Stage 1 and still have a Spector Legend 5 (though am considering moving this on).

I have gone back to playing a 4 now as I found the 5 was making me quite lazy - as mentioned previously, playing in E, F or even G is easier (IMHO), but to my horror I was at a jam session and was asked to play, there was no 5 string available so when I got up to play and the guitarist said the song was in F - I really had to work hard to remember how to play in F on a 4!? I felt [b]really[/b] self-conscious and that for me was the turning point! I'm still happy to pick up a 5 now - and can play that without thinking too much, but definitely prefer a 4 string. I really do believe going back to 4 has made me a more rounded player.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1325516379' post='1483831']
That would be me. You have to remember that the strings are closer together and closer to the edge. To a greater or lesser degree it takes some getting used to. It's even more pronounced if you jump between a four and five. There is more variation in fives than there is in fours so be sure to play all you can to make sure you are happy.
[/quote]

Yep it's certainly true that the spacing is more narrow. 5 strings are typically 15-17 mm spacing as opposed to a jazz which is usually 20 mm I think.

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1325516693' post='1483838']
+1 to that!

I played a 5 for around 10 years or so - I have still got my Jazz Bass V (and would never sell it) - it was my first "proper" bass & has the Kubicki preamp (sounds great), I also had a Streamer Stage 1 and still have a Spector Legend 5 (though am considering moving this on).

I have gone back to playing a 4 now as I found the 5 was making me quite lazy - as mentioned previously, playing in E, F or even G is easier (IMHO), but to my horror I was at a jam session and was asked to play, there was no 5 string available so when I got up to play and the guitarist said the song was in F - I really had to work hard to remember how to play in F on a 4!? I felt [b]really[/b] self-conscious and that for me was the turning point! I'm still happy to pick up a 5 now - and can play that without thinking too much, but definitely prefer a 4 string. I really do believe going back to 4 has made me a more rounded player.
[/quote]

To be honest if "being lazy" is not making things unnecesserally hard for myself then I'm happy to be called that. I think it is good to be able to play both though, I've always been fine with playing a 4 or a 5 depending on what I'm doing.

For me the main disadvantage has been the width of the neck of the 5 string, having said that the main advantages were not having to move around the neck so much and as mentioned above the difference in sound between open E and 5th fret on the B string.

I have also just moved back to four strings for the time being, due to having to do some acoustic stuff, and am really missing that extra string.

[quote]To be honest if "being lazy" is not making things unnecesserally hard for myself then I'm happy to be called that. I think it is good to be able to play both though, I've always been fine with playing a 4 or a 5 depending on what I'm doing.
[/quote]

What I was getting at is that I'd gotten so comfortable playing a 5 that when the time came to jump back to a 4 - that really messed me up :unsure: - I hadn't played a 4 for 10 years plus and really found it difficult making the transition back again! :o

It's good to get back to your roots (no pun intended :) ) - IMO.

The advantage for me of a 5er is I take one bass to a rehearsal and it's covers everything without having to drop the E string to D for some of the songs we cover, I like the narrow string spacing to.

The down side is weight, some are very heavy indeed.

I played some bum notes and got a bit flustered when I first switched but it wasn't long before I was hooked.

To be really comfortable on it..everything has to all to hand and be in the right place.

The neck isn't a problem being wider,, AFAIC, it is the spacing between strings at the RH....with the type of things that you just do..rather than have to think about.
It is all about accuracy and speed and that takes the time to set yourself up.

I sat in on a guys 4 st fretless the other day and I HATED it with a passion...
Forget whether the bass was any good..it just didn't suit and I couldn't wait to put the thing down ..and that was just a run ofthe mile jam type sit-in..
I wished I hadn't bothered but got goaded into it, tbf.

For that reason alone, I wouldn't contemplate going back...and 4 strings don't seem right to me anymore.

I don't care what other peoples preferences are, they can answer for that themselves.

a fiver will open up greater chord/arpeggio options, as you can (for example) play low G on the B string (8th fret( and 'B' at 9th fret on the D - if you're into this style of playing then a five string is a no-brainer.

Depends on your style of music though, as sometimes an E string dropped to a low 'd' sounds better (in a heavy rock setting) than 3rd fret on the low B.

I picked up my first 5 string about 2 years ago, it took me about 3 or 4 months to get comfortable with it, but even now I'm still getting to grips with swapping between 4 and 5 strings. It's becoming less of a problem, and I'd be happy to only use the 5 strings, but every now and then I love using my old Precision.
I started using 5 to play heavier rock, I needed it for the band i joined, but I think it makes life easier in the wedding band I fill in with occasionally. I think it's worth the effort to learn, but each to their own.

Started using a 5 string in 1996 and have never really looked back - I don't actually own a 4 string now (although that may change this year, all being well).

As others have said, the main thing to do is to spend all your practice time with the 5 - learn your scales and arpeggios incorporating those notes from low B to low Eb (if you decide to go with a bass tuned E-C, learn all those scales and arpeggios incorporating the high C to high F#/Gb). You also need to decide on whether you prefer a narrow or wide string spacing, so try out as many instruments in your budget range and see what you feel comfy with.

The other thing is take it out on gigs and keep on using it, once you've learned what's under your fingers. I'm one of the many that have (initially) taken a 5 (strung B-G) out on a gig and plucked the low B instead of a low E....

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1325542863' post='1484305']
The other thing is take it out on gigs and keep on using it, once you've learned what's under your fingers. I'm one of the many that have (initially) taken a 5 (strung B-G) out on a gig and plucked the low B instead of a low E....
[/quote]

I still occasionally get confused when I play 4 string, I end up playing the A instead of the E, I hope I eventually get to a point when I can swap over with no problems.

Personally, I'm with the guys who went to 5 and then returned to 4. For a good few years a bass wasn't a bass unless it had 5 strings, but then I discovered the good ol' standard 4 string Precision, and so happy was I that all the 5s got sold, with the exception of my Surveyor 415 which I kept just in case it was ever absolutely necessary for a dep or session. I keep my hand in with the 5 so I can switch back and forth easily, but for the day-to-day they're too heavy for my dodgy neck, and the last couple of years has shown that a 4 is ample for 95% of what I do. The other 5% is covered by a cheapo Squier VM strung C,F,Bb,Eb for when the guitarists swap to C-standard for the heavy numbers ;)

The main advantage is having the low B for extended range or some folks like to tune E-A-D-G-C to have an upper extended range. I tune one of my 5's A-D-G-C-F, which is a popular tuning with Gospel players. The initial disadvantage is that you will have to learn how to play with the extra string and at first attempt it is not as easy as it sounds, but as with anything new it will take time to adapt and you will get over it with time.

I switch back and forth to a 4 and 5 string quite often and it can be a little disorientating at times, but if you are familiar with your instruments it's not that bothersome really.

I use a 5 with the covers bands and a 4 with the ceilidh band. I also use a 6 now and again with one of the covers bands. I do occasionally have momentary string confusion, although I'm more likely to get confused when playing on the D and G of the 6-string if I forget I've got to move down one more string than normal.

5ers are always tricky. Like someone else said, you just need to try lots to find one with a feel and tone that you like. B's can vary wildly between different manufacturers. In my personal experience, Yamaha TRB's have had consistently good B's through the years or if you got more money, Dingwalls have simply stupendous B's thanks to the scale length.

I initially made the jump from 4s to 6ers thanks to the ridiculously small string spacing of the Washburn XB600 I bought. Subsequent 6ers and 5ers I tried with 18mm+ string spacing I've always struggled a little with (with the exception of my Fender Jazz 5, amazingly enough) so I dont think that you should focus on 5ers with similar string spaces that you're used to, you might be missing out big time if you do!

Truckstop