Why become a member? ×

Precision vs Jazz vs Warwick vs other Precision

The Dark Lord

[i][b]NOTE: The original video is a pick playing comparison - for a finger style comparison, see page 2 of this topic[/b][/i]

Played about with my basses today and tried to figure out how different they all sound. Also gave me the chance to fiddle with the settings on my wonderful AER Amp One combo. My own conclusions in a minute, but here's the video I took.

[media]http://youtu.be/0u_Ahy3vMus[/media]

I'm really happy with the sound of the Vintage White Precision (USA Standard 1999). It has THAT P Bass tone. The Hot Rodded P/J (USA 1999) that I have has a more aggressive and more powerful tone - but still distinctly Precision, Could be the replacement Seymour Duncan SJP1 and SPB1 pickups. The Jazz (USA Standard 2010) has a slightly less aggressive sound than the Vintage White, has a bit of that J Bass growl and possibly less bottom end than the Precisions.

However, they sound close enough that I guess, in the mix with guitars, drums and vocals when gigging, I'd be surprised if anyone could really tell the difference live.

The Warwick is completely different. Lighter, thinner neck and "thumpier" bottom end on the E string - but get's a bit "middley". I can dial that out using a preset on my RH450 when gigging.

The AER combo is to die for. Flexible, great sound and loud as hell.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Interesting stuff. I couldn't hear too much difference between the PJ and the jazz to be honest. Which I thought I would be able.
Actually on 2nd listen that is a lie. I can hear the difference and much prefer the PJ sound... which is a complete surprise!

Warwick sounded nice, lots of bottom end.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1325028029' post='1479333']
You played the two Ps with heavier attack downstrokes than the J and Warwick where you played upstrokes, that's going to sound different for a start. Perhaps this is part of the meatier sound?
[/quote]

I noticed this as well. it's always going to be difficult to get everything equal for a comparison like this though.
I loved the precision sound mind :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1325014430' post='1479158']
As per the demo

White P-bass is best for the whole track...then the Jazz.

The SD P and the Warwick come nowhere. IMO.
[/quote]

+1

I think this will be amplified as time goes on.. i.e. in 10/20yrs time the P and the Jazz will keep sounding even better

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325074116' post='1479523']
[size=4]-5 for all of them. That pick does nothing for me.[/size]
[/quote]
I really don't understand these people who condemn pick players. I have never seen one of us pick players moaning saying "that's rubbish, he's using his fingers". In my view, it's all bass playing - each to his own. If that's what a person wants to do - that's fine.

This is a post about comparative bass sounds. Not about whether someone should use a pick or not. Okay, so let's call it a comparison using a pick.

I don't think it is helpful or constructive to other bass players to have comments like yours in a post like this. This is the kind of thing that ruins good forums like this. We're supposed to be helping each other with information - which I think I am doing here.

If you MUST be negative, can you please go away and "troll" on someone else's post. There are plenty of pick vs fingers vs slap topics on here for you to express your opinion.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1325077500' post='1479564']
I really don't understand these people who condemn pick players. I have never seen one of us pick players moaning saying "that's rubbish, he's using his fingers". In my view, it's all bass playing - each to his own. If that's what a person wants to do - that's fine.

This is a post about comparative bass sounds. Not about whether someone should use a pick or not. Okay, so let's call it a comparison using a pick.

I don't think it is helpful or constructive to other bass players to have comments like yours in a post like this. This is the kind of thing that ruins good forums like this. We're supposed to be helping each other with information - which I think I am doing here.

If you MUST be negative, can you please go away and "troll" on someone else's post. There are plenty of pick vs fingers vs slap topics on here for you to express your opinion.
[/quote]

I think it was probably said tongue in cheek. I enjoyed the video. It's nice to see pick and finger playing demo, a lot of slap on the net.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1325077500' post='1479564']

[/quote]
I wasn't trolling.

It wasn't a condemnation of you, your playing, your sound or your basses.

It was just my opinion that the sound of the pick got in the way of the sound of the basses.

Calm down dear!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325084917' post='1479655']
Calm down dear!
[/quote]
I'm always perfectly calm. Never get ruffled. I just don't feel the need to criticise other players' styles. Just didn't like your comment - didn't think it was constructive or helpful to anyone.

Edited by mercuryl

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1325085476' post='1479663']
I'm always perfectly calm. Never get ruffled. I just don't feel the need to criticise other players' styles. Just didn't like you comment - didn't think it was constructive or helpful to anyone.
[/quote]

Look at that photo in the man's profile. Utterly calm, I've been staring him in the eye for 5 minutes and he hasn't even blinked, that's how calm he is!

Tell you what though ..... when I DO play with fingers, which is not very often and I'm not a great finger style player, the bass does sound quite different. There's (maybe) a wee bit more expression to it and it will probably highlight the differences between the basses a wee bit more.

If I get time, later, I'll see if I can add another clip with all the basses played fingerstyle. You do get way less volume with fingers than a pick ..... but I'll give it a bash.